Best Hotel In Douglas?

Mintchip

Which is the best hotel to stay at in Douglas? I don't mean the most expensive or fanciest. Just really nice and fairly priced. Thanks.

http://www.welbeckhotel.com/

Is this really the best place to ask? How many Manx Forums users actually stay in the local hotels, and why would they? Other than to conduct extra marital affairs of a sexual nature. And then, presumably discretion would be high on the list of recommendable qualities. And is it now safe to assume that anyone professionally unconnected with the establishment being recommended by them is actually a cheating lowlife?

Which is the best hotel to stay at in Douglas? I don't mean the most expensive or fanciest. Just really nice and fairly priced. Thanks.

I have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times, including last September. The room was ok, with a sea view. Quite a lot of traffic noise in the morning and the breakfast was good.

I have stayed at the Empress a couple of times and it was dreadful both times.

I have stayed at the Sefton once about 18 months ago and would recommend it to anyone. The room was spacious with large bathroom, very comfortable bed, and the breakfast was absolutely excellent. And, the swimming pool is brilliant!!! It is definitly my first choice of hotel in Douglas.

I tend to look at sights like Trip Advisor and their reviews from people who have stayed at the hotels to get an idea of what a place is like.

As for the best hotel to stay at in the Isle of Man, well I would say it would depend on what you are looking for, why you are here and who you are with. If lookig for a family stay with Kids, I would recommend a different to hotel to if you are looking for a weekend break with the other half or are over here on a business trip. Will you expect to have free time and want to laze around or meet people at the hotel or is it just somewhere to crash before you move on?

Also who is paying often makes a difference as you might be happier with a lower quality hotel if payment is coming out of your own pocket than if it is on expenses

Is this really the best place to ask? How many Manx Forums users actually stay in the local hotels, and why would they? Other than to conduct extra marital affairs of a sexual nature. And then, presumably discretion would be high on the list of recommendable qualities. And is it now safe to assume that anyone professionally unconnected with the establishment being recommended by them is actually a cheating lowlife?

Thanks Keyboarder, as always, your input is valuable.

Thanks everyone for the all the suggestions. I am thinking of visiting friends on the island for a few days in the summer. I'll check Trip Advisor as well, but thought I'd start here. You've been quite helpful.

Thanks everyone for the all the suggestions. I am thinking of visiting friends on the island for a few days in the summer. I'll check Trip Advisor as well, but thought I'd start here. You've been quite helpful.

Last May I stayed at the Hilton. The room was ok. The view quality, the breakfast was excellent - I try to be awkward at higher priced B & B's to get my money's worth and ask for poached eggs on toast. Which I got. Think it is a bit overpriced. But will use it again.

Beats staying at my Dad's in Kirk Micheal though. God how I hate the Mitre!

• 2 weeks later...

Have to give my vote to the Wellbeck Hotel. Stayed there for 3 months when I first moved to island. Mike & Irene are absolutely brilliant and nothing is too much trouble for them. Staff are all friendly and food is first class.

Vote for the worst hotel would go to The Chesterhouse.

Staff miserable, food inedible & cold, rooms scruffy. While staying there, I had to go across for a few days. When I got back I found that they had moved someone else into my room because they had asked for it, all my stuff was moved to a grotty back room that had stained carpets and stinking mattress and had even taken my iron and used it in their laundry room !!

It's gone now of course, but I always wanted to go to the Majestic with the telephones on all the tables. Unfortunately they hadn't invented phone wipes by then and I later often wondered if you could catch things off them. Not a pleasant subject I know, but if you've reached this age and you're ok you should be alright.

It was those days that the Isle of Man led the world and certainly the UK in hotels. It is a pity we didn't keep abreast of the times otherwise we wouldn't probably be in such a mess and besides we'd know which hotel was best for us.

There are some nice ones down on the front but the creaky floorboards might offer problems if they haven't been sorted. The builders are only thinking about getting the job done rather than think about the guests who might need a good night's sleep for a meeting or even to get on the early boat.

Archived