A Taste Of Brazil

- Paul -

Walked past it in Ramsey this afternoon

Looked quite interesting but didn't have the time to stop

Anyone tried it?

Brasilian Lasagna

At first, we did not include this recipe in the website neither in the first edition of our cookbook. We thought this recipe did not classify as a traditional Brazilian food because it is more associated as being from Italy.

But here is the explanation we found for such success lasagna makes in Brazil.

First, is the white sauce. The Brazilian lasagna has a creamy white sauce made with cheese and nutmeg as one of its layers and topping.

The meat sauce is used in the lasagna not only as a topping, but as a layer too. For that, the meat sauce needs to have plenty of ground beef and less water.

Brazilian lasagna is served hot accompanied by white rice and red wine. The recipe you see below is the most traditional using the white sauce (also known as Béchamel or balsamella).

• 4 weeks later...

if by pasties you refer to the home bakery (or as I grew up knowing it "wadmans") then yes they do the best cornish pasties I have ever had

• 5 months later...

We've been there several times. Don't like her pricing system, or the fact that she puts each component of your meal in a seperate plastic container but it's good!

Kibby £3.00 takeaway box no 1

Salad £2.00 takeaway box no 2

Sauce £1.50 seperate plastic tub

Effectively, takeaway Brazlian burger w/o bun £6.50. Is that steep or am I cheap?

Usually you can choose from a couple of heavy dishes like "creamed beef" or "lasagne" w rice and lovely fresh salad for £6.00.

Yummy deep fried banana and chocolate things w ice cream.

Don't go if you're on a diet.

• 3 weeks later...

went in today

really not impressed

the service is absolutely shocking with 2 young lads skulking around the place....

I asked about the pastel as it seemed to be the only brazillian food I could see in there due to a festive xmas dinner choice in operation.... I got a sign pointed at me showing what one looks like and then a menu showing the sweet or savoury options. I asked the lady what she recommended.... I figure I have no idea what should be in one so if you go for an expert opinion you can't go wrong.... I got the menu pointed at me again... no help in choosing. So I went for a cheese and bacon pastel and they wandered off out the back to cook it.

It was ok... not worth £2.50 and I am not convinced that a cheese and bacon pastry thing with grated carrot is a winner or authentic recipe.... even if it is I am amazed at the lack of passion about it... from the iom today article you'd expect someone to really believe in her food and want to give the best impression to a new customer...

My final bug bear is the signs.... same theme as barista across the road. It feels more like a school or a library constantly being told what you can't do.... I'd be amazed if it makes any difference and just makes the place seem really unfriendly

I asked about the pastel as it seemed to be the only brazillian food I could see in there due to a festive xmas dinner choice in operation.... I got a sign pointed at me showing what one looks like and then a menu showing the sweet or savoury options. I asked the lady what she recommended.... I figure I have no idea what should be in one so if you go for an expert opinion you can't go wrong.... I got the menu pointed at me again... no help in choosing. So I went for a cheese and bacon pastel and they wandered off out the back to cook it.

Is this description of a pastel similar to the one you got?

A pastel (its full form is pastel de feira) is a small pasty, made of puff pastry, rectangular in shape and fried. It can contain a wide range of fillings: cheese, tomato, meat, cod, mushrooms, chicken and so on. The ancestor of the pastel is the Chinese spring roll. It arrived in Brazil with the Japanese immigrants escaping from the Second World War. As at that time being Japanese wasn’t hold in high regard, some of the Japanese tried to pass as Chinese to avoid the discrimination their country fellow men were being victim of. And they begin cooking Japanese food with a Chinese touch. The pastel is strongly associated with São Paulo and it is an incredibly popular snack you will find in most open-air markets (the feiras, hence the name pastel de feira). The traditional thing to do is to eat your pastel washed down with a caldo de cana – sugarcane juice.

Hadn't heard of them before - Manxforums is an education! - mind you it may be safer to stick with the pastie you mentioned further up the post! Had been wondering about the place but maybe I'll just stick to my favourite Ramsey coffee shop, the Bean Bar in Market Street.

Fascinating where 'national' dishes come from - the Japanese taking their food to a former Portuguese colony whilst the Portuguese took tempura to Japan!

Yes I had a quick wiki after I'd posted about the pastel and it did seem authetic - cheese and bacon may be the most popular choice down the streets of rio.... but I'd just have liked the lady in there to give me a steer, I love trying something new or different and it would have been nice to have known it was a genuine article

equally..... the home bakery is a bit of stick to what you know glory - next time you're having a coffee in the bean bar wander up for a meat pie :-)

the home bakery is a bit of stick to what you know glory - next time you're having a coffee in the bean bar wander up for a meat pie :-)

Thanks for that...love a good meat pie! Come to think of it there's a lot of slagging off of food on the Island but there's some good stuff round. I love the smoked Manx ham from the deli in Ramsey - cut thick for maximum flavour.

Archived