Group Defends Breastfeeding

manxy

This is typical cleverdick Manx government dreaming up laws

No it isn't - this is, as far as I know, a pirivate member's bill. Frankly, I'm amazed he thinks this is the sort of topic which Tynwald needs to be spending time and money on just at the moment. I hope the electorate in rushen remember his contribution on September 29

I agree that it seems somewhat bizarre to be introducing it at the momemt. However, some of the reactions to this thread seem to indicate that there are enough males who regard female breasts as being purely for their entertainment to make it necessary to legislate for them to be used for their proper purpose.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it isn't - this is, as far as I know, a pirivate member's bill. Frankly, I'm amazed he thinks this is the sort of topic which Tynwald needs to be spending time and money on just at the moment. I hope the electorate in rushen remember his contribution on September 29

Yes it is. It is electioneering at it's most blatant. It matters not to him if it is worth spending money on if it gets him the female vote.

I'm hoping laws which stop discrimination are brought in. Thanks for your interest. If I were gay I wouldn't be remotely embarrassed to say so here or anywhere. As it is, I'm not, but I don't feel people should be subjected to your brand of prejudice because of their sexuality.

I guess you are one of those annoying people who drags their screaming kids around with them all the time, including into places they really should not be. No, I am not a prude, nor a neaderthal twat. I really don't give a flying fig. As I said originally, if you want to get them out, expect to be stared at.

FREAK.

Apparently they want to make it illegal.

Manx Radio

Just to clarify the bill being brought forward is to make it illegal to ask stop a mother from breastfeeding in public, i.e. at the moment a restaurant owner, for example, can request a mother stops feeding her child in their premises. The bill, if passed, would make it illegal from the restaurant owner to do this.

Has there even been one single case of anyone on the IoM EVER asking a mother to stop breastfeeding in a public place. No of course not. This is typical cleverdick Manx government dreaming up laws that they think paint them in a positive light in front of the voting public. I, for one, find it incredible that the general public fall for it and applaud them.

If by "case" you mean instance, then YES. I can recall at least two.

Manx Radio

Just to clarify the bill being brought forward is to make it illegal to ask stop a mother from breastfeeding in public, i.e. at the moment a restaurant owner, for example, can request a mother stops feeding her child in their premises. The bill, if passed, would make it illegal from the restaurant owner to do this.

Has there even been one single case of anyone on the IoM EVER asking a mother to stop breastfeeding in a public place. No of course not. This is typical cleverdick Manx government dreaming up laws that they think paint them in a positive light in front of the voting public. I, for one, find it incredible that the general public fall for it and applaud them.

Bullshit. There would be outrage.

Manx Radio

Outrage ? NO. Embarrassing though.

Not bullshit at all. I have witnessed one example when the feeding was being done in a correct and discreet manner, and I have heard - from reliable sources - of other similsr examples.

There are more Cambons around than you probably realise.

Not bullshit at all. I have witnessed one example when the feeding was being done in a correct and discreet manner, and I have heard - from reliable sources - of other similsr examples.

If there were, the world would be a much better place. You see, I don't mind women breast feeding in public, and no it does not bother me. No I don't watch, but there in one hell of a large number of men and women who do, and especially small children staring and drawing attention to the breast feeding woman. This can make them feel very uncomfortable. Therefore, in some countries like the US, parts of europe, etc. they have privacy rooms where a woman can feed her baby without feeling uncomfortable.

Wow, I am genuinely shocked. i wonder if the people who have been subject to this would have the voice to speak up if the law gets past. i would hope so.

M&S has a feeding cubical opposite the ladies toilets but because it also has a changing facility in there it smells really bad just like the ladies loo if not worse its very cold too, if i was breastfeeding i wouldnt do it in there

If there were, the world would be a much better place. You see, I don't mind women breast feeding in public, and no it does not bother me. No I don't watch, but there in one hell of a large number of men and women who do, and especially small children staring and drawing attention to the breast feeding woman. This can make them feel very uncomfortable. Therefore, in some countries like the US, parts of europe, etc. they have privacy rooms where a woman can feed her baby without feeling uncomfortable.

What bollocks. Children copy their parents; if their parents have weird hang-ups or prejudices they will pass them on to their kids. There is nothing more natural than feeding your child. Get over yourself.

Private Pike has been in office for nearly one term. It is an election year and this is put forward as a private members bill. I am a parent and always encouraged breast feeding in public when needs must. This has never been challenged and I have never known any other mother to be challenged.

This is a costly, headline grabbing waste of time and yet another gimmick policy that has no value whatsoever.

Rushen sheading is the poor relation of the Isle of Man when it comes to investment and although our representatives are passionate about what they do, we have this and a 'Tynwaldballs' as one of their key contributions.

Come on! Focus on legislation and governance that actually counts. (Bloated government for a kick off please.)

Haha, this thread is so funny.... some of you people have no idea!!! Your lack on knowledge and understanding of this are laughable...

I breastfed my daughter for 13 months... anywhere she needed it! Very discretely indeed... people would often comment on my 'sleeping baby' and have no idea my baby was actually being fed!! Draping shawls and muslins only draws attention and there is no need to get your 'baps' out! The baby's head covers everything and there is noting more on show than there would be if I were wearing a low cut top.

I do know of people who have been asked to stop feeding their baby on this island.

The funniest one was when a young lad working in a coffee shop within a garden centre (not sure if I am allowed to name!) had been told to tell my friend to stop feeding... so the young lad said to my friend "We don't encourage this sort of behaviour"... and her reply was "That's ok, I don't need encouragement, I can do great without." Funny times!!

Seriously though, it seems that some people have a very strange view of a totally natural thing to do.

Personally, I find shoving vast quantities of synthetic rubbish down a baby quite offensive and disturbing... but that is just my opinion.

Haha, this thread is so funny.... some of you people have no idea!!! Your lack on knowledge and understanding of this are laughable...

I breastfed my daughter for 13 months... anywhere she needed it! Very discretely indeed... people would often comment on my 'sleeping baby' and have no idea my baby was actually being fed!! Draping shawls and muslins only draws attention and there is no need to get your 'baps' out! The baby's head covers everything and there is noting more on show than there would be if I were wearing a low cut top.

Seriously though, it seems that some people have a very strange view of a totally natural thing to do.

You are right. I breastfed mine too and as you say, it went unnoticed. I think some of these uninformed people imagine you strip off to the waist at the restaurant table to breastfeed! Then there is the hypocrisy of those bleating about catching a slight glimpse of a bit of boob (well, if they will stare)- as you say - no different from wearing a low-cut top - yet opening their newspapers to look at naked boobs. Strange, isn't it?!

Archived