Farming Bashing Subs Topic

gazza

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously i don't really understand single farm payment so yes you are right - I'm guessing. But I can't understand how it needs more not less admin. The clue being the word "single". Plus passports etc are now barcoded aren't they?

i never said it needed more,

point is the subs for livestock were based on your passports,

when they get moved, when you buy new etc etc,

these passports still have to be checked when you move livestock etc,

Now the passports arent going anywhere, there still staying, because without them, the meat cant be allowed to be killed etc,

so the same work

Not the same work at all.Far less if your getting paid on acrerage than what you produce.Remember not just talking about stock,there are the crop/vegetable growers.

well thats only if the farmer reduces his stock numbers,

if he keeps the stock the same then the same amount of work is needed,

No it isnt.Fuck me your opinionated.For example in the old scheme a farmer used to be paid money if a calf lived past thirty days,now this is gone with the single farm payment.How about the grants for buildings?This has also been knocked on the head.Someone must have been processing this before hand.Its bad enough wealthy landowners recieving taxpayers money for their hundreds of acres of land,dont try to defend the huge amounts of employees of government also.

The changing of the subsidies is not likely to free up many Govt employees, maybe a few could be transfered over to other duties in the expanded DEFA, although any savings would be welcome.

Taxes on unnecessary imports would be great but 'illegal' under both EU and World Free Trade rules, what if other Countries took similar action against 'our' goods?

This is why we have 'Shop Local' campaigns rather than boycotts.

The changing of the subsidies is not likely to free up many Govt employees, maybe a few could be transfered over to other duties in the expanded DEFA, although any savings would be welcome.

Taxes on unnecessary imports would be great but 'illegal' under both EU and World Free Trade rules, what if other Countries took similar action against 'our' goods?

This is why we have 'Shop Local' campaigns rather than boycotts.

What goods?

The value of our exports are as nothing compared with the costs of our imports.

We're in trouble, we face a problem that needs "out of the box" thinking.

As for illegality, other countries manage to tax imports to suite their local economies so why on earth should we not do likewise?

'Our Goods' may be few but they probably provide more local jobs than the extra sales of local produce would require new employees to be taken on.

The idea of Farmers getting out of something we over produce and into a crop/stock that we need is great but if Farmers are struggling, they could change over to these new goods with the same number of employees. So the gain t us is in getting more Manx produce into the local market but no more jobs.

The classic face slapping spat is between the French and the Americans over French Camenbert and wine and US hamburgers and Hollywood movies but the Island does not have the clout to indulge in such spats!

We are in a free trade area. Plus we need to export something unless someone finds an oil well over here, and anything that makes our imports more competitive will make our already few exports less so.

Many farmers aren't struggling. They are given taxpayers' money anyway.

We are in a free trade area. Plus we need to export something unless someone finds an oil well over here, and anything that makes our imports more competitive will make our already few exports less so.

Many farmers aren't struggling. They are given taxpayers' money anyway.

Forget “free trade area”, it’s of no overall benefit to us.

The value of our exports are miniscule compared to the cost of our imports and what we do export in reality will not be significantly adversly affected

Putting an import tax on imported goods we can produce over here, and using that tax to subsidise our farming, will have the benefit of reducing imports, improving the marketability of our home grown goods, and taking away the need to fund a great deal if not all of the farming subsidy from general taxation.

It really is one of a number of ideas whose time has come.

The value of our exports are miniscule compared to the cost of our imports

Well they can't be, can they? In order to buy our imports we need to be able to pay for them. The only way of getting the means to pay for the imports is to either export something (and make money doing so), or borrow externally. Either way, you need money coming in from outside, in order to be able to pay for things outside.

It seems to me that we must therefore be selling as much as we are buying.

Here's the idea whose time has come: like all other businesses, if you can't make money farming, do something else, and don't expect Joe Taxpayer to bale you out all the time. I don't want to pay extra for clothes so that Manx farmers can be protected, I don't want to pay extra for petrol so that Manx farmers can be protected, I don't want to pay ANYTHING for Manx farmers to be protected.

The value of our exports are miniscule compared to the cost of our imports

It seems to me that we must therefore be selling as much as we are buying.

OR.... we've been living off a £145m pa UK Govt VAT Rebate until now, perhaps........?

Or we've been living off a £145m pa UK Govt VAT Rebate until now, perhaps........?

Well, to an extent, possibly, but as government expenditure is significantly in excess of that number there must still be real money coming in. The answer is, of course, that we export services. CSP clients are almost invariably overseas, as are many depositors at the banks. There are some "proper" exporters out there as well of course - the watchmaker bloke, the optics company, but most of it is financial and related services. Once we stop exporting them, we won't have any money to buy petrol, or throw at already wealthy landowners

No it isnt.Fuck me your opinionated.For example in the old scheme a farmer used to be paid money if a calf lived past thirty days,now this is gone with the single farm payment.How about the grants for buildings?This has also been knocked on the head.Someone must have been processing this before hand.Its bad enough wealthy landowners recieving taxpayers money for their hundreds of acres of land,dont try to defend the huge amounts of employees of government also.

And that same calf will have to be registed and processed useing a passport, as it was allways done before to get the sub, the passports stays, so apart from noteing this down on a subs form, theres little diffrince in the workload.

So tell me where this less work is, apart from filling out 1 more form etc, which i would think would be just a simple spreadsheet, so all of 2 mins to note it down,

or do they not register them now :rolleyes: .

I could not care less about the govenment staff to be honest, the less staff there is, the more the farmer gets :cool:

Archived