There's A Rocket In The Morning

wideload

My view is that space is a load of bollocks, and a way for one or two well connected companies to wring money out of government

I don't know how Tim Craine manages to keep a straight face when interviewed about all of this stuff. I'd have to lock myself in a cupboard at least once a day and piss myself laughing that people hadn't yet worked out that this is a complete load of old shite. It must be great to wake up on the 1st of January every year and think 'That's another year on clock, I hope that I'm collecting by pension before the people paying for all this realize that its total bullshit'

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FT has covered the recent reports.

And in 2009 said:

A recent KPMG survey found that the space industry brought £27m ($45m) annually to the exchequer and over the next three years could contribute £376m to the economy.

That's not insignificant.

"SES ENGINEERING is a 350 strong organisation with a centralised leadership and management structure, whose operational teams are deployed in the main office locations in Princeton, New Jersey, and Betzdorf (Luxembourg) as well as in multiple Earth stations around the world"

Not much to do with the Isle of Man then.

My view is that space is a load of bollocks, and a way for one or two well connected companies to wring money out of government

Check it out, they are over here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/4524696.stm

A recent KPMG survey found that the space industry brought £27m ($45m) annually to the exchequer and over the next three years could contribute £376m to the economy.

Could? £27m is bugger all to an annual government expense of £650m. The world could end tomorrow, we could all be living on Mars by 2050, we could be spending more money on schools rather than this headline grabbing bollocks. We could be asking questions of our MHKs over this crap. We could again just see this as manipulation of the VAT agreement as it could not possibly generate anywhere near £400m in direct investment into the IoM or £400m in direct IoM taxes. Its just paper money paid for by the UK so we can tit about playing Thunderbirds. In this case though Thunderbirds is lacking a 'Brains'.

First, if it contributes £27m to the Treasury I will eat my entire collection of hats.

Secondly, I have never seen any hard evidence (as opposed to the sort of government funded propaganda that gets included in puff pieces like that one in the FT) as to how this industry contributes so much to the Isle of Man economy. Nor have I ever seen any discussion of the government outlay on this industry. How much have we spent to get a piece of turf from Tynwald Hill thrown into space, for instance (e.g on "marketing consultancy fees")?

"SES ENGINEERING is a 350 strong organisation with a centralised leadership and management structure, whose operational teams are deployed in the main office locations in Princeton, New Jersey, and Betzdorf (Luxembourg) as well as in multiple Earth stations around the world"

Not much to do with the Isle of Man then.

Check it out, they are over here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/4524696.stm

It is quite easy to envisage a situation where a $1bn investment through an Isle of Man company generates about £3,000 for the Isle of Man economy. Set up a subsidiary in the Isle of Man, inject your equity, and then the company uses the funds to buy something, and work on it, somewhere else. You pay for a registered office, a director (perhaps - no real need), and that's your lot. I think that this is exactly what is happening in the "space" industry - it is another small angle for the CSP outfits, and nothing more. It is worth less to the island in business and tax than the UK property sector.

If that $1bn was being spent in the IOM, they'd be telling us as much.

Didn't these people produce the optics used on some of the Mars Rover expeditions?

I think there a a number of niche markets that could be looked at within the space industry, and be beneficial to the IOM, Scotland has a few companies producing space technology - no reason why we couln't develop something similiar here.

Clydespace

'CubeSats' are becoming very popular with educational establishments around the world - you can buy components for these off the shelf, and have a 'space ready' satellite for around £10k.

If we have an industry bringing £27 million infor the IOM's coffers, than that is not a bad thing at all!!

I have never seen any hard evidence ...

Easy to say if you've never looked. Go on, present your rebuttal...

Are you really so ridiculous? It is for those claiming that a substantive benefit exists to prove that it does. You can't, because it does it doesn't.

Archived