Morning Practices

Lonan3

Its probably because of the foreshortened sessions, but quite a number of visitors have been asking why the early morning practices can't be restored. Is it, as I suggested, because of the time taken to remove/replace the cones, a shortage of marshalls or what?

It really is surprising how many would like to see them restored.

It is a difficult one. I think they should bring them back as a reserve. I mean, in the old days, there were 9 practice sessions prior to the F1 race on the Saturday. If I remember correctly, the Saturday morning was also reserved in case of emergencies. Due to the large number of classes and types of machinery, this was required. Today, there are only two types of machinery and therefore two practice classes, and only 5 qualifying practice sessions. The one lap sessions after racing are good for the riders, but are pretty useless for setting up and it is too late if you have not qualified. We have been very lucky this week that the weather has played it's part. If it had not, we would be in big trouble.

Marshalling early morning practice was never that much fun, but there was nothing like being stood at Ballacraine with just the twitter of a few birds and the roar of bikes approching. You could hear them from miles away. Happy days!

....but there was nothing like being stood at Ballacraine with just the twitter of a few birds and the roar of bikes approching. You could hear them from miles away. Happy days!

Yes the romantic notion of early morning practices conflicts with the practicalities for sure. I can remember doing radio point at Kate Cottage in the early hours..watching the fishing fleets in the Irish Sea as the first light arrived. That said, by the time you had done the evening one aswell...it was a hell of a long day!!

That I think WSAG was the problem. It was always OK for the big teams but if you're in the privateers and you finish the evening session at 9.30pm and need to do some work on the bike, there's a chance that you could be a little tired come 5.30 the following morning.

Additionally, there was the issue with marshalling, cones and as someone has already pointed out, less classes.

No thanks...it would be totally impractical I think. For one, I think you would struggle for marshalls. I can't be certain - and I'm sure I'll be corrected - but when we used to have the morning practices:

a) There weren't as many marshals as there are now

b) There wasn't a one-way flow on the mountain section - so no need for cones

In addition, I don't think the population would stomach being woken at sparrows fart as well as not being able to get home at night like they used to...times change.

That I think WSAG was the problem. It was always OK for the big teams but if you're in the privateers and you finish the evening session at 9.30pm and need to do some work on the bike, there's a chance that you could be a little tired come 5.30 the following morning.

Additionally, there was the issue with marshalling, cones and as someone has already pointed out, less classes.

Tired and still a little drunk in some cases.

I hear Joey used to be fond of a few pints of an evening.

Archived