Building A Gaming Rig

What they said!

I dread to think what corners have been cut to get the 'headline spec' in at that price, plus the graphics card is shit too.

16GB of RAM is total overkill but it's a cheap way of making the numbers look good.

If you really don't want to build yourself bazcabs, get a pre-built from somewhere like overclockers or Chillblast.

EDIT - Or wait and see how K.O.S gets on with his PC from Cyberpower.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, advice taken on board. I've built a few barebones systems before but not gaming rigs. The graphics cards confuse the hell out of me. Nvidia for some games and ATI for others. Thought mini bazcabs had got PC gaming out of his system when he was younger but now he wants to go back to it.

Thanks guys, advice taken on board. I've built a few barebones systems before but not gaming rigs. The graphics cards confuse the hell out of me. Nvidia for some games and ATI for others. Thought mini bazcabs had got PC gaming out of his system when he was younger but now he wants to go back to it.

Building PCs now is easier than it's ever been. The hardware is easy to put together and is fairly resilient as long as you don't do anything stupid, you just need to take your time and be careful. If you've built any sort of PC in the past, you shouldn't have a problem with a gaming PC.

And with Windows 7, the operating system does about 99% of the 'post-build' spade work for you, there's very little to it TBH.

As for graphics cards, Nvidia is where it's at for the moment, a 2GB 560Ti or better should do the job for a gaming system up to 1920x1200.

Building PCs now is easier than it's ever been. The hardware is easy to put together and is fairly resilient as long as you don't do anything stupid, you just need to take your time and be careful. If you've built any sort of PC in the past, you shouldn't have a problem with a gaming PC.

And with Windows 7, the operating system does about 99% of the 'post-build' spade work for you, there's very little to it TBH.

As for graphics cards, Nvidia is where it's at for the moment, a 2GB 560Ti or better should do the job for a gaming system up to 1920x1200.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the 560Ti ... it seems to have more problems than some of the other Nvid cards

Well, speaking as a long term AMD fan, I'm currently with an NVidia GTX580. However if AMD get their arse together with Kepler I'll be right back there as I prefer the AMD colour palette. Right now though, your best performance is with the 570/580 compared to 6950/6970

Manx-person

The below spec is a good start for a fairly budget gaming PC. Top processor, good video card, case, PSU, RAM etc

I've not mentioned a hard drive, as the prices are through the roof at the moment

All the below from Overclockers.co.uk

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM - 159.95

Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION ** - 115.99

OcUK ATI Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - 109.99

Dell ST2220M 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black – 99.95

Corsair Builder Series CX 500W V2 '80 Plus' Power Supply (CMPSU-500CXUKV2) – 52.99

Antec 100 One Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black – 46.99

Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3K4/8GX) – 37.99

Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM – 18.98

535.70 +VAT

Manx-person

The below spec is a good start for a fairly budget gaming PC. Top processor, good video card, case, PSU, RAM etc

I've not mentioned a hard drive, as the prices are through the roof at the moment

All the below from Overclockers.co.uk

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM - 159.95

Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION ** - 115.99

OcUK ATI Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - 109.99

Dell ST2220M 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black – 99.95

Corsair Builder Series CX 500W V2 '80 Plus' Power Supply (CMPSU-500CXUKV2) – 52.99

Antec 100 One Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black – 46.99

Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3K4/8GX) – 37.99

Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM – 18.98

535.70 +VAT

However, if you wanted to go for AMD, you'd get more performance per pound and motherboards are generally cheaper too. An AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition is around £60 cheaper and they overclock well.

decisions decisions - i quite like the idea over overclockers delivering a built system - is this much of a premium - what do you think?

The AMD systems are a bit cheaper, but for the sake of £60 (on the CPU) you would get almost double the performance out of the 2500K, plus it overclocks like a monster, even on the stock intel cooler you would get 4.2Ghz. Personally i wouldn't do AMD - the chips are just not in the same league as the intel ones. Intel does cost a bit more, but you're paying for quality and (benchmarks show) better hardware all in all.

Overclockers pre built systems are very good (by all accounts). I've not had one, but a pre overclocked one would provide excellent performance at a fairly decent price

The main benefits with AMD is that their socket types stay the same for longer so its only a case of upgrading the CPU in the future rather than the board as well.

Having said that, I wouldnt use one. Intel have had the lead by quite some margin performance wise for a while now so for a little extra money you'll get a system that stays current longer plus you'll have scope to overclock. My i5 2500k does 4.7GHz on air no problem (with an aftermarket cooler)

If you are considering an i5 or an i7 and do plan to overclock at some point in the future, make sure you get a 'k' unlocked CPU as the locked ones dont overclock any more.

The main benefits with AMD is that their socket types stay the same for longer so its only a case of upgrading the CPU in the future rather than the board as well.

Having said that, I wouldnt use one. Intel have had the lead by quite some margin performance wise for a while now so for a little extra money you'll get a system that stays current longer plus you'll have scope to overclock. My i5 2500k does 4.7GHz on air no problem (with an aftermarket cooler)

If you are considering an i5 or an i7 and do plan to overclock at some point in the future, make sure you get a 'k' unlocked CPU as the locked ones dont overclock any more.

I was looking at this - a good deal? what do you reckon ?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-080-OE

I was looking at this - a good deal? what do you reckon ?

http://www.overclock...rodid=BU-080-OE

I'd be fine with that board and setup. Kitguru reviewed it a while ago and its had some good reviews

For the extra £9, I'd take it to 8GB as well.

As long as you dont change any of the BIOS settings, overclockers will guarantee that system and overclock.

Archived