Building A Gaming Rig

Did you get them to whack an SSD in there for you?

A 128GB job wouldn't add much to the cost and makes a huge difference to OS loading times and the loading times of anything you've got installed on it.

Also, get Steam installed and keep an eye on the special offers that come up almost constantly, it's possible to build up a library of fantastic games for absolute peanuts.

EDIT - I assume Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium as the OS? 32-bit can't address more than 4GB of RAM.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new rig! So many good games on the PC at the moment, Skyrim, BF3, Arkham City etc

Like Twonky said, keep an eye on Steam, you can get amazing deals around xmas time!

I still believe in the long run PC gaming works out cheaper than console gaming. Upgrades aside (which you only need every 4 ish years?) the games are much cheaper, look miles better, load faster etc

Have fun!

yep windows 64bit as the OS...just been checking out steam some cracking deals on there today! Mass Effect 2 is less than a fiver!!

You can register with Steam and buy the games at any time, no need to install them or even have a PC to play them on!

I often snap things up in the Steam sale with a view to playing them later on.

The 'PC gaming is expensive' mantra is total bollocks, yes you pay a bit more upfront for the equipment, but full price new releases are cheaper on PC than console (usually £30-£40 instead of £40-£50), and with Steam and the sales, it's possible to get a load of brilliant games for silly money. Even outside of the sales, there are usually loads of AAA games that are 12 months old or older, for around the £10-£15 mark.

And of course, you get the play the games properly, instead of in console spack-o-vision.

I took the jump back to PC gaming about 6 months ago. Never looked back. With Steam as other people have said you get some cracking deals. I'm playing Skyrim at the moment on PC. Also depending on the game I would get a wired Xbox 360 controller to plug in.

Enjoy fella.

Games you may have missed...

Amnesia - The Dark Descent

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood / Revelations

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Bad Company 2

Borderlands

Battlefield 3

MW3

Dead Island

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (cannot recommend this highly enough, absolutely incredible game)

Skyrim

F1 2011 (if you like racing)

Fallout: New Vegas

GTA IV / EFLC

Just Cause 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Payday: The Heist (cheap, good fun to dip in and out of)

Team Fortress 2 (free!)

Probably something important I missed. Should get you started though!

Archived