Dulux Non Drip, White Paint Cant Get Rid Of The Smell

sunshinett

Hello I painted my sons bedroom 10 days ago now, its now the 31st March and he has not been able to sleep in his bedroom s since due to the STRONG SMELL.

I painted the walls with white emulsion

and painted the window, door, skirting boards and picture rail with DULUX non drip wood and metal white paint, I was trying to think how old this tin was used it once before but its got to be 3 years or more.

I did not think that gloss paint went off, but why is my sons bedroom still smelling, i dont want to put him in there in case the smell or fumes damage him. What is this smell why does it stay so long?

How long is it going to last?

surely paint smell should have gone by now

what have others done?

do they just go back into the rooms with the smell, its a bedroom and dont want to damage his health if he should not be in there.

have had the window open each day all day and at night on vent, but stil the smell is there, although think less, but still there.

can anyone help with past exerience?

I dont usually glosss, but did not think that this smell woudl be still there and that my son cannot sleep in his bedroom even after 10 days, he is having to sleep in our room for now. I dont want to put his health at risk. or is it no risk?

Onion should work. I think it's to do with the now banned chemicals in the gloss paint (see this weeks Watchdog).

Healthy House (online) do a range of healthy paints that might be useful for next time, or an oil based eggshell, not a gloss I know, but doesn't seem to smell as much.

P.S. Can I come round and sniff the room? I luuuurve the smell of new gloss!

Thanks for all the advice going to try the onion one and also buckets of water to see if they absorb the smell. I shall update with results as this may help others if they find a similar problem.

Yes did see watchdog programme about white gloss going yellow in a very short period of time. I actually think that the gloss i have in my house, which the painter did about 4 years ago suffered the same problem, as it is now cream. so maybe not just the new tins of paints, maybe the older ones do this too. Have never thought much about the colour before, but now when I think back I am sure it was white, know our walls are magnolia, but was sure that the frames and doors were white. Anyone know of paints that do not yellow?

You want the paint to stay white not go yellow. Hoping once I get rid of the smell in the box room, that this paint which at present is brilliant white, wont turn yellow, otherwise waste of time.

smile.png

Hmmmmmm did yu watch WATCHDOG on BBC1 last week? It was on about Dulux White Gloss Paint, may not apply to you, but here is the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk...2/03/dulux.html

Now, that is interesting. I noticed some of our white gloss had 'turned' quicker than I'd expected. I heard the likes of Dulux make a value range of paints for B&Qs so I've been going to Travis Perkins for paint.

The datasheet for Dulux Non-Drip Gloss ( a similar product) suggests that much of the smell could be from components like hydrotreated heavy Naptha (EC 265-150-3) - not the best thing to inhale (see the product safety sheet ) but presumably the residual content from paint is likely to be reasonably low, maybe smelling a lot worse than it is. Mind you, it could be stronger if the paint's not been stirred well before applying, as there may be a settled layer of paint that's high in volatiles.

Onions, vinegar, water, baking soda and other grandma remedies won't actually mop up the chemicals, but can mask the smell and make people feel better in that homeopathic sort of way - but the volatiles will still be evaporating from the paint into the air to be inhaled if you're worried about that sort of thing.

I suspect that like spilled white spirit, the odour is likely to be around for a while until the bad smelling stuff evaporates out of the paint, wood and surfaces.

IMHO, best thing to do would be to heat then ventilate the room well for a few days, so that the volatiles evaporate and are ventilated out of the room. In future you might want to use a low odour paint, or mix in something to mask the smell a bit.

Archived