New Speed Limit

Burt

Driving back from the south today, I notice that it's now 50 mph limit from Ballasalla right through to fort north. Is this permanent or just while something gets done? Next thing is an all island limit you know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similarly there's 50 now for Cross Four Ways through to Alexandra Bridge, and also all the way along the straight what I've forgotten the name of on the S100 course, and presumably all the way from Bypass to at least Gansey, didn't go any further than that though so not sure how long that one goes on for.

Driving back from the south today, I notice that it's now 50 mph limit from Ballasalla right through to fort north. Is this permanent or just while something gets done? Next thing is an all island limit you know.

The derestricted section on the road to Douglas from Castletown makes little sense anyway. Good change.

they do it because this is the time when TT season builds up and we have a lot of foreign riders who do not know the roads (as well as the little roads off these roads) and are more at risk of having an accident than us more experienced locals; makes a lot of sense really.

These speed limits are fucking evil, thank christ they're only temporary. The mad dash on the straight to ballabeg was already starting to be my welcome home.

And anyone who thinks that there should be an island-wide speed limit of less than the speed of sound is a luddite.

they do it because this is the time when TT season builds up and we have a lot of foreign riders who do not know the roads (as well as the little roads off these roads) and are more at risk of having an accident than us more experienced locals; makes a lot of sense really.

I'm not sure what 40 MPH or 50MPH mean to European riders who have been brought up totally on the metric system.

Next thing is an all island limit you know.

Fingers crossed.

Yes and we could all just injject Prozac into our eyeballs and drive around at 25mph wearing trilby hats. We have great roads why should they be restricted to bike riders and rally drivers who we pay to come here and do stuff that we would get arrested for?

Fingers crossed.

Yes and we could all just injject Prozac into our eyeballs and drive around at 25mph wearing trilby hats. We have great roads why should they be restricted to bike riders and rally drivers who we pay to come here and do stuff that we would get arrested for?

Great roads......are you mad. We have some of the worst roads in Europe

Fingers crossed.

Great roads......are you mad. We have some of the worst roads in Europe

That is UTTER nonsense if you are a driver. If what you want from a road is utter uniformity, a surface glass-smooth, and mile long stretches as straight as tom cruise is bent then yeah, we have crappy roads.

But for a proper driving enthusiast - these roads are wonderful. Potholes are a slight problem but otherwise, they are a dream. Honstly.

I'm not sure what 40 MPH or 50MPH mean to European riders who have been brought up totally on the metric system.

I'd worry about anybody who didn't at least know the major speed limits in both systems...

The ones I carry in my head are:

50kph = 30mph

80kph = 50mph

100kph = 62mph

From the 30 + 50 you can work out 40 should be ~65kmh, and if you're doing over 100kmh you're breaking any speed limit that exists so it's no longer important what your actual speed is.

Archived