Diablo 3 Open Beta For Everyone This Weekend!

K.os Theory

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got bored after about five hours play and honestly don't imagine I'll bother with it again. It's like a bad action game, a bad MMO and a bad RPG all rolled into one - and seems to have ignored the fact that games have moved on in the last twelve years! Aesthetically it's lovely of course, being Blizzard, but that's not enough IMO.

Oh well, at least it was free with the WoW annual pass.

Bought Dungeon Keeper 2 off GOG.COM over the weekend for £1.96p and have been getting about 5000% more enjoyment out of that than I did Diablo 3!

The items are crap, skills and interface has been dumbed down too much, and they have done a bit of a sup com 2 to it.

They have messed up the item prefixes and suffixes so they don’t really mean anything (for example a weapon with the prefix “Cruel” used to mean between 250 and 300% extra damage).

Imo Blizzard have fucked the game up too much, you can tell the people who originally did Diablo have had no input into this one, as some of the levels I’ve seen are almost carbon copies of the originals, with updated visuals (act 2?)

Parties only having 4 players, down from 8 etc

The only way you could think this game is awesome, is if you never played D2 properly (and by that I mean after patch 1.10 which changed the dynamics of every skill in the game)

Read this from one review

"Blizzard had to compromise to manage the expectations of a larger audience. Diablo III still manages to remain truthful to its roots, while still increasing accessibility for newcomers."

Jesus Christ, how difficult was it to play Diablo 2? How much more accessible did the game need to be? D2 is known as one of the greatest and most popular PC games ever made, so why try to make it even more "accessible"?

Game smacks a bit of Xbox 360 - which i'm sure we will see later on in the year

Yeah but coming from a WoW background - (and I realise that D3 is not WoW but the similarities are too many to ignore) - you really want that occasional 'ZOMG GEAR!' moment when some amazing item drops or you find a gem of an item on the AH or a questline rewards a really good item or you run a dungeon and get the perfect drop.

In the five hours I spent playing D3 I never got that vibe, and by the sounds of it things don't get any better.

Yeah but coming from a WoW background - (and I realise that D3 is not WoW but the similarities are too many to ignore) - you really want that occasional 'ZOMG GEAR!' moment when some amazing item drops or you find a gem of an item on the AH or a questline rewards a really good item or you run a dungeon and get the perfect drop.

In the five hours I spent playing D3 I never got that vibe, and by the sounds of it things don't get any better.

Totally different dynamic. Wow has a far longer feedback loop, you'll be collecting tier sets and building up for the next ubar item for ages and you'll expect to wear that stuff for some time. Diablo's much more about a very short loot gratification loop, you're changing stuff almost constantly. Chalk n cheese imo.

Totally different dynamic. Wow has a far longer feedback loop, you'll be collecting tier sets and building up for the next ubar item for ages and you'll expect to wear that stuff for some time. Diablo's much more about a very short loot gratification loop, you're changing stuff almost constantly. Chalk n cheese imo.

No I'm talking about levelling up, when in WoW you're changing gear constantly as well.

Still doesn't mean that an item can't be 'ZOMG UBER' for the short amount of time it lasts you.

I've looked on the AH and have seen some legendary items (level 20!!), and they are not much different from the blues on there

No more ethereal items either......

There is absolutely no doubt that D3, whilst OK, is a dumbed down, over simplified copy of its predecessor that's not had any real imagination used in it's TEN YEARS of development

don't forget though that only 30% of the available loot is actually "droppable" in normal...until people start running through the higher difficulties you won't see the killer loot.

I'm with Slim, it's fun fun fun...with friends it's even more fun! I'm not looking at the AH, for me it seems like it may spoil things...

this year is a good year for ARPG's, Torchlight 2 coming out soon ( i hope ) and then the likes of Grim Dawn on the horizon as well!

There is absolutely no doubt that D3, whilst OK, is a dumbed down, over simplified copy of its predecessor that's not had any real imagination used in it's TEN YEARS of development

I think you're being unfair, or you're looking at D2 through some very thick rose tinted specs. The new engine is lovely, I like the lighter settings. The lessons from WoW make the game much more social, the channels like [general], the ability to click on loot in the chat window, the seamless multiplayer where your mates can drop in and out of games, the simpler skill system that doesn't have you googling for min/max builds. Suits me just fine the way they've taken it.

It's not perfect no, but it's a lot of fun.

Archived