Douglas Has A New Mayor

carbon selector

What is the salary? (for both)

Nothing - Councillors get £30 per meeting for attendance if they claim it. Otherwise everything they do is for nowt. Accounts are all here http://www.douglas.g...btdownloads.asp

Can't see any reference to the much talked about Mayoral booze cabinet though.

The 2010/11 accounts make interesting reading, the mayor only costs us £108000.00 (page 51). £19000.00 more than 2009/10.

Good value is he not?

It always amuses me that people think that the Mayor has political power. The leader of the council makes the decision.

The Mayor is a ceremonial role, normally given to a long serving councillor for a year before it goes to the next long serving councillor. The mayor chairs the council meetings and attends public functions which can be many in any given week.

Not sure why people would mistake the mayor has the person with real political power?

Very few people understand the functions/roles of members of Council,but very few Councillors are interested in improving the publics understanding or involvement.

Perhaps thats why very many people have become disenfranchised and critical of the whole thing

Why is he using his mum as Mayoress? according to the paper he has got twin daughters, so you assume he has got a wife,

maybe she dosn't want ot do it, I suppose with twin 15 month old daughters she won't have a lot of time to spare

Why is he using his mum as Mayoress? according to the paper he has got twin daughters, so you assume he has got a wife,

maybe she dosn't want ot do it, I suppose with twin 15 month old daughters she won't have a lot of time to spare

Maybe she is still feeding her twins herself and not able to take advantage of all the free drink.

What is the salary? (for both)

Nothing - Councillors get £30 per meeting for attendance if they claim it. Otherwise everything they do is for nowt. Accounts are all here http://www.douglas.g...btdownloads.asp

Can't see any reference to the much talked about Mayoral booze cabinet though.

The 2010/11 accounts make interesting reading, the mayor only costs us £108000.00 (page 51). £19000.00 more than 2009/10.

Good value is he not?

Has to be better than the last whiskey nosed mayor and his collective hangers on

It always amuses me that people think that the Mayor has political power. The leader of the council makes the decision.

The Mayor is a ceremonial role, normally given to a long serving councillor for a year before it goes to the next long serving councillor. The mayor chairs the council meetings and attends public functions which can be many in any given week.

Not sure why people would mistake the mayor has the person with real political power?

Very few people understand the functions/roles of members of Council,but very few Councillors are interested in improving the publics understanding or involvement.

Perhaps thats why very many people have become disenfranchised and critical of the whole thing

Is that the council officers function or the councillor's.

Council officers carry out and implement policy and should take steps to educate the public at large as to what the council does, its legal functions and the role of elected councillors, mayor etc.

Is that the council officers function or the councillor's.

Council officers carry out and implement policy and should take steps to educate the public at large as to what the council does, its legal functions and the role of elected councillors, mayor etc.

Wether it is the officers or Councillors responsibility to educate is fairly irrelevant, they need to improve transparency, accountability and communication to the ratepayers.

The larger Authorities have become exclusive and isolated from the communities they serve,hopefully the newly elected Councillors will recognise this and seek to remedy it ,if not then the viability of Local Govt is doomed.

I am encouraged to hear that the new Mayor,at least, is keen to increase the publics involvement with local Govt

The person (ie The Mayor) who holds the keys to the Corpy drinks cabinet always has a lot of friends. And lots and lots of friends of friends. Those keys are the key to ensure they are all kept bonhomie.

At the ratepayers expense.

I see from the picture of the Mayor and Mayoress that there is a Mayoress' Chain. Does anyone know where that came from, or have we all agreed not to mention the Mayoress' chain anymore.

The person (ie The Mayor) who holds the keys to the Corpy drinks cabinet always has a lot of friends. And lots and lots of friends of friends. Those keys are the key to ensure they are all kept bonhomie.

At the ratepayers expense.

I see from the picture of the Mayor and Mayoress that there is a Mayoress' Chain. Does anyone know where that came from, or have we all agreed not to mention the Mayoress' chain anymore.

Its a replacement - but as it was "purchased with money bequeathed to the Council by the late Mr Eric Gordon Douglas" .what happened to the insurance money?? ......btw who was the Mayoress when the other chain went missing? was she ever asked what she did with it?

Its a replacement - but as it was "purchased with money bequeathed to the Council by the late Mr Eric Gordon Douglas" .what happened to the insurance money?? ......btw who was the Mayoress when the other chain went missing? was she ever asked what she did with it?

I think she died.

Thievery, death, cash for gold!?! It's all got me thinking of a new game to launch at Xmas - 'Waddingtons Corpy - I haven't a Clue-doh!'

wonders if the mayor and mayoress have to sign a receipt book each time they wear it out and who is responsible for checking the chains / regalia back in again??

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/at-last-town-hall-confirms-which-chain-of-office-is-missing-1-1794752

Maybe she is still feeding her twins herself and not able to take advantage of all the free drink.

Why do you assume if he has kids he has a wife?

It's 2012 now, even in Douglas.

Archived