Adhd Island

Amadeus

I have to say this thread isn't an example of MF's best!

As most people know I favour an evidence based approach and looking at the figures I feel the reactions people are making about bad parenting, and doctors medicalizing children unnecessary are really overblown.

0.9% of the Island's under 18 have been prescribed Ritalin. 99.1% haven't. Less than one child in 100.

A typical year group at any one of the Island's big five secondary schools is made up of about 180 children - in the entire year group there will on average be less than 2 children on Ritalin.

Are people claiming there would only be one or two difficultly-behaved child in any given year group at one of our secondary schools? Surely not. Only a very small fraction of even the most challenging children will be prescribed ritalin. I can see no reason for claiming over medication from these figures.

Secondly I think you've got to be careful about saying that 1 in 100 child is just a boisterous kid and it being placed on ritalin due to over-zealous doctors, bad parenting or uncaring teachers.

ADHD is a complex issue. It should not be a stigma for the parents - I feel the "blame the parents" brigade who have waded are really over doing it - lots of kids have poor parents, lots of kids are boisterous in class - only 0.9% of children are considered in need of ritalin.

I went out with a special needs teacher many years ago - she saw ritalin as helping some children and it being a part of giving them care, I agree with that.

ADHD is not simply about bad behaviour or bad parenting or over-zealous doctors. Helping kids to control themselves to ensure they can learn and advance can create a virtuous circle. Ritalin isn't for every disruptive child, and the evidence shows the Island isn't using it this way.

Parents need help doing what is best for their children, that involves family, school and in a tiny percentage of cases (0.9% people!!) medical intervention.

Boisterousness is not ADHD, the causes of ADHD are complex, but need not be due to poor parenting etc. It's complex and both cognitive and chemical approaches combined can improve it.

The evidence shows ritalin can help in some circumstances - when that is involves expert input and i see no reason to jump up and down about these figures.

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 4

I know someone who's child was medicated with his stuff and it saved the child from the scrapheap and the mother from the nuthouse

The lad was often a bloody nightmare and no amount of parenting / loving /education could change that. He flew into uncontrollable rages and as he became a teenager these got worse

He would become very upset after these outbursts realising the damage he was causing but unable to control himself

My friend tried everything over the years and was at her wits end, the lad was about to be suspended from school then eventually he was put on medication.He has since stopped the medication, settled down and is doing well at school

It's easy to judge if you haven't been close to a situation like this and I'm sure there are cases of lazy parenting, but this solution was hard won from the social services and not just a parental cop out

Edited by cheeky boy
  • Like 3

Chinahand, are you sure about the islands typical school year-group being about 180 children on the whole island? Seems very low to me but I stand to be corrected.

Class sizes on the island are now larger than the UK average from what I have been told recently by a secondary school head master.

Ritalin prescriptions treble over past five years

http://www.three.fm/...st-five-years1/

The number of prescriptions for the drug Ritalin, have trebled on the Island over the last five years.

Ritalin is used to to treat people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD as its more commonly known.

In 2007/08 436 prescriptions were issued, compared to 1,256 over the past year.

It's estimated that around 150 children and young people are currently prescribed the drug equivalent to 0.9 per cent of children under 18 on the Island.

Mr Anderson said the reasons for the increase were because of a greater understanding of the condition, improved methods of detection and more research.

Ritalin = kiddy coke.

Just another way to drug our children and increase the pharmaceutical industries profits in the process.

Here's a novel idea, why don't parents cut out all the chemical additives they feed their children on a daily basis and cure ADHD themselves.

It's lazy-parenting, Lxxx, and kids having kids. Self-perpetuating, wilful-ignorance and lack of 'life-skills'.

It is a money spinner, some parents that have kids with ADHD get an allowance for "their condition"

I really wish I could believe that but it's rubbish. It is just trying to identify a reason for bad behaviour in my book. All kids are not wired the same. There's no surprise there. You either embrace your child's slightly different behaviour, or you shovel Ritalin down them to make them comply with what you think is acceptable. I would suggest that a lot of times (not all) the problem is with the parents and their perceived social status and views on what is normal not the child.

In this day and age people find it more comforting to say "My child has an acknowledged medical condition" rather than "My child is an out of control f**king pain in the arse".

• Like 4

It is a money spinner, some parents that have kids with ADHD get an allowance for "their condition"

Details?

It is a "care allowance" from social.

I know there are some children that are seriously affected with this condition but I also believe there are a large number where it is simply bad behaviour that the parents cannot control.

Details?

I would be very interested in the details to that claim too Addie.

Unfortunately this subject is perfect for uninformed speculation by internet warriors/trolls and the people who really have knowledge of the subject cant post/ respond in detail because of confidentiality reasons.

Unfortunately this subject is perfect for uninformed speculation by internet warriors/trolls and the people who really have knowledge of the subject cant post/ respond in detail because of confidentiality reasons.

People who really have knowledge of the subject? You mean people whose kids are a total pain in the arse but who are looking for excuses?

People who really have knowledge of the subject? You mean people whose kids are a total pain in the arse but who are looking for excuses?

Denying the existence of a condition that's possible to see visibly using positron emission tomography is a little silly.

Denying the existence of a condition that's possible to see visibly using positron emission tomography is a little silly.

positron emission tomography - big words. Did you refer to wiki?

"PET" scan if you'd prefer. There's a visible difference in the levels of dopamine transporters in the part of the brain relating to "rewards" in people with ADHD.

Edited by HeliX

"PET" scan if you'd prefer. There's a visible difference in the levels of dopamine transporters in the part of the brain relating to "rewards" in people with ADHD.

One day we will find a reason for every act of inconvenient behavior But I am sure that if your kid is a pain in the arse its easier to blame god and science than you.