Problems At Hospital

Hungry Harrison

I dont think the doctors are doing anything other than their best and as humans they will make mistakes like we all do, it is the nurses that I have had most of my problems with. The nurses here are very different to the ones I experience

d in a UK hospital. The ones in the UK could not be more helpful and kind, the ones here, I will just say, not so helpful. They seem to have the typical IOM public sector attitude. I have grown up with this and a short stay in a UK hospital was a real eye opener. I was not a

patient, one of our children was and even as someone "camping" with my wife in the ward we could not have expected better care for ourselves, never mind our child, than if we had been in a 4 star hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they were always busy but they

did not spend all day gossiping around the central ward desk, so they had plenty of time to do proper nursing. It was also done in a manner that they seemed to enjoy the job, not done with a grunt.

SHL

I have to agree with you regarding the comparison of paediatric nurses here and across.

There is no smoke without fire with respect to the surgeons though - if there wasn't something to answer to, the service would not be

suspended.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously death in hospital is inevitable. Surely the question is whether any of the deaths are preventable, whether training/professional development of the medics is taking place, whether they actually have the abilities they say they have, and whether the deaths that do happen are looked at and reported honestly?

I've been told that at regular Morbidity & Mortality meetings held at Noble's individual cases were never reviewed openly, this being true, would suggest that learning from experiences was never high on the agenda.

I appreciate that accidents do happen, but is it a coincedence that one of the surgeons involved has suddenly announced they are going on 'holiday' on the very day the news article was published?

I think it probably is a coincidence - many of the overseas doctors go away for a month or so at a time either around Christmas or in the summer. I'm pretty sure that no-one has been suspended, or put on 'gardening leave' in connection with this announcement.

All of your posts relating to this issue have been high quality and well put. (Wrighty that is !!)

The Hospital Authorities deserve top marks for acting on this matter so openly. Something, incidentally, which many on this Forum call for regularly (openness)

Now the problem is in the public domain it becomes important that it is handled sensitively.

Its important, in my opinion, the good quality communication is maintained so that people dont lose confidence in the Hospital.

I appreciate that accidents do happen, but is it a

coincedence that one of the surgeons involved has suddenly announced they are going on 'holiday' on the very day the news article was published?

I think it probably is a coincidence - many of the overseas doctors go away for a month or so at a time either around Christmas or in the summer. I'm pretty sure that no-one has been suspended, or put on 'gardening leave' in connection with

this announcement.

All of your posts relating to this issue have been high quality and well put.

The Hospital Authorities deserve top marks for acting on this matter in an open manner. Something, incidentally, which many on this Forum call for regularly (openness)

Now the problem is in the public domain it becomes important that it is handled sensitively.

Its important, in my opinion, the good quality communication is maintained so that people

lose confidence in the Hospital.

Er..... Am I missing something here? The hospital has to be open about it - it has no choice! Patients will not be receiving their operations at their local hospital - you can't hide that!

Wrighty is employed by that hospital - it is his livelihood.....therefore he is expected to toe the party line....... Would you expect him to say anything else?

And lastly, have you read the comments by patients in this thread and others such as the threads about Dirk Hoemann, the building of the new hospital, the location etc? Confidence is sadly lacking already!

They need to sort this, and quickly, so that patients know they are going to receive decent treatment instead of being admitted with the fear that they are going to receive sub-standard care that is not regulated!

I appreciate that accidents do happen, but is it a coincedence that one of the surgeons involved has suddenly announced they are going on 'holiday' on the very day the news article was published?

I think it probably is a coincidence - many of the overseas doctors go away for a month or so at a time either around Christmas or in the summer. I'm pretty sure that no-one has been suspended, or put on 'gardening leave' in connection with this announcement.

All of your posts relating to this issue have been high quality and well put. (Wrighty that is !!)

The Hospital Authorities deserve top marks for acting on this matter so openly. Something, incidentally, which many on this Forum call for regularly (openness)

Its important, in my opinion, the good quality communication is maintained so that people dont lose confidence in the Hospital.

Is this public openess by the management the result of a robust transparent reporting system, that automatically intervenes to protect patients or a forced hand by frustrated senior clinicians. Perhaps Wrighty might elaborate.

Er..... Am I missing something here? The hospital has to be open about it - it has no choice! Patients will not be receiving their operations at their local hospital - you can't hide that!

Wrighty is employed by that hospital - it is his livelihood.....therefore he is expected to toe the party line....... Would you expect him to say anything else?

And lastly, have you read the comments by patients in this thread and others such as the threads about Dirk Hoemann, the building of the new hospital, the location etc? Confidence is sadly lacking already!

They need to sort this, and quickly, so that patients know they are going to receive decent treatment instead of being admitted with the fear that they are going to receive sub-standard care that is not regulated!

To answer your question it does seem you have missed something, yes.

Possibly you havent read the thread properly.

you said ....

And lastly, have you read the comments by patients in this thread

clearly you hadnt noticed that I cited wrighty as my source because he did acknowledge the concerns of patients

wrighty said:....

As expected, I've been watching this thread with interest. All the comments, except the one above, have been either reasonable or understandable,

due to personal experience etc.

Then I said ......

So yes, I had read the posts by patients and so had wrighty!

I cant really see any justification for you to discount what wrighty has to say just because he happens to work at the hospital. Ive never set eyes on the man, and hope I never have to (professionally at least) but I do think its a good thing he has taken the trouble to elaborate on things a litle.

Do you have an issue with professionals stating their opinion ?

If so, I think its possible you didnt notice that wrighty said ..

Until these things are investigated, no-one knows.

The safest thing for a responsible organisation to do is to suspend whatever it is that seems to be going wrong,

find out why, and take it from there.

That seems, to me anyhow, a well balanced statement in relation to whatever the problem at the hospital may be.

You may, of course, prefer a different course of action to the considered approach favoured by the hospital.

Either way, I still do believe this issue needs to be handled correctly in order to maintain public confidence in the hospital.

I've been told that at regular Morbidity & Mortality meetings held at Noble's individual cases were never reviewed openly, this being true, would suggest that learning from experiences was never high on the agenda.

Incorrect. There are regular M&M meetings for all departments every 2 months, in addition to the weekly meetings held by most if not all departments. In general surgery (of which colo-rectal is a part) there is a weekly meeting attended by all surgeons in that department where all patients, progress, complications etc are discussed. I've never been to one of those meetings, as I'm in a different specialty, but if they're anything like every other departmental meeting I've ever been to anywhere, then I can guarantee that issues are discussed openly and frankly. Surgeons are not known for their reticence, particularly behind closed doors.

Is this public openess by the management the result of a robust transparent reporting system, that automatically intervenes to protect patients or a forced hand by frustrated senior clinicians. Perhaps Wrighty might elaborate.

Public openness is irrelevant. As others have said, you can hardly suspend a service and not tell anyone about it. The decision to suspend was made by a senior management group including the medical director (a surgeon) the surgical divisional director and the hospital manager, acting on information from other clinicians. For things like this there is no such thing as a reporting system that automatically intervenes - senior people made the decision, it's not a case of 'computer says no' following a cell in a spreadsheet going from green to red. It doesn't work that way.

To be fair Wrighty is in a difficult position and to expect him to divulge the innermost workings of the hospitals procedures in clinical situations like this is maybe expecting a bit much.

BR is right on that count. I comment here to try to dispel any inaccuracies and outright myths that are posted on medical matters, but I have to be careful not to stray beyond the limits of patient confidentiality, and I am an employee of the organisation with a duty to use social media responsibly. I have in the past taken advice from management colleagues before posting (or not), and so far I think I get the balance about right.

Hmmmm..... Interesting.

You know a close and trusted friend informs me that letters have been written regarding issues and concerns arising in relation to this for years. By staff themselves. And these issues are systematically swept under Snaefell and ignored. People have also been "encouraged " to leave for sticking their head above the parapet.

The rot would appear to run deep and tower high.

Hmmmm..... Interesting.

You know a close and trusted friend informs me that letters have been written regarding issues and concerns arising in relation to this for years. By staff themselves. And these issues are systematically swept under Snaefell and ignored. People have also been "encouraged " to leave for sticking their head above the parapet.

The rot would appear to run deep and tower high.

Are sure you have followed and read through the link properly?

Im sure NHS staff on the IOM have not been whistle blowing about events in Scotland's hospitals.

Archived