Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

Mr Bell seems to agree with what I said earlier on the thread - the film sector can be very successful or it can bomb. It would be a good description of betting at the Roulette Table too.

Agreed, which is the justification for investing in a film and tv studio rather than financing productions as Cinemax did.

It has gained a great deal of public attention simply because the money has not gone through the same level of analysis and diligence that a usual investment of that size would undergo.

How do you know?

Are you being serious? Simply because many of those basic questions are still being asked in Tynwald after the investment went ahead. Many relevant questions remain unanswered, or are answered in an "if you're not with us, then you are against us" fashion.

Just note the questions still being asked...all alongside decisions on what is having to be cut on the frontline of public services, as well as transfers of certain government costs onto ratepayers.

It's a right old omnishambles.

Are you being serious? Simply because many of those basic questions are still being asked in Tynwald after the investment went ahead. Many relevant questions remain unanswered, or are answered in an "if you're not with us, then you are against us" fashion.

No, I mean how do you know what process is followed with the outsourced managers for the rest of the reserves?

What questions remain unanswered? You're very light on specifics.

Just note the questions still being asked...all alongside decisions on what is having to be cut on the frontline of public services, as well as transfers of certain government costs onto ratepayers.

Again, why do you attach this issue with this particular investment? What's the justification for this scrutiny vs the bulk of government funds invested elsewhere?

It's a right old omnishambles.

An investment that's returning a good dividend already and has risen in value 30p a share in less than six months a shambles?

An investment that's returning a good dividend already and has risen in value 30p a share in less than six months a shambles?

Slim maybe I missed your data on actual dividends paid. What is the dividend per share?

I have seen that you quoted profit (gross or net?) - which is not dividend. How much of the profit you quoted is being reinvested in the business and how much is being paid as dividends?

[Agreed, which is the justification for investing in a film and tv studio rather than financing productions as Cinemax did.

I would agree that they are not as big a gamble as films but they are dependent on films being successful for continuity of cashflow so they share in the risk.

Also, and I may have got this wrong, but isn't the person who oversaw the loss-making film investment through CinemaNX still investing the MDF monies?

Edited by manshimajin

Slim if as you say the 6 month performance of the investment may be good and I don't doubt what you say, are we to forget that the same people are in charge of this investment as previously bombed (by others I think quoted 39%). The whole changed investment vehicle is a convenient way to disguise what went on before !

Asitis you could look at it t hat way, or you could say it's a way addressing the criticisms of what went on before. I don't see why you need to doubt what I say, I'm only using publicly quoted figures.

Slim maybe I missed your data on actual dividends paid. What is the dividend per share?

.5p per share. I've got the dividend payout wrong above though I realise, I did 5p a share, not .5p smile.png

I have seen that you quoted profit (gross or net?) - which is not dividend. How much of the profit you quoted is being reinvested in the business and how much is being paid as dividends?

I never said the profit was dividend. This is a plc, it's accounts are public and well reported, why do you need me to repeat them?

http://www.gov.im/li...yminister36.xml

Thanks for the link Slim - most helpful. So to summarise - on profits of £2 million they are paying total dividends of £250,000 of which the IOM Reserves will get a little less than £25,000.

Is any of our money going towards the Pinewood development in Malaysia?

No. Read http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/our-studios/malaysia/news/announcement-pinewood-malaysia-studios-covering-asian-region

"The Company (Pinewood) will receive consultancy and brand licence fees for sales and marketing services. Fees due in 2010 will be largely offset by establishing the sales and marketing infrastructure which will benefit subsequent years."

You could have found this information yourself.

I did - I asked and someone told me.

Does the Isle of Man's representative on the board of Pinewood have a personal shareholding in the company, and does he hold any other directorships, especially in government-owned or funded entities?

Does the Isle of Man's representative on the board of Pinewood have a personal shareholding in the company, and does he hold any other directorships, especially in government-owned or funded entities?

Nurse - oh Nurse - he's out again!

Yes - it's one of the previous pinewood threads - SC bought about £27K worth of shares I understand.