Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

Dear Kate

The Public Accounts Committee discussed your letter at its meeting

yesterday. The Committee has decided not to undertake an investigation at

this stage. However, if you have any further evidence to submit which might

alter the priority given to this topic, you may submit it at any time.

"At this stage", interesting.

Maybe a few are thinking about how much distance they can put between this and themselves !

Dear Kate

The Public Accounts Committee discussed your letter at its meeting

yesterday. The Committee has decided not to undertake an investigation at

this stage. However, if you have any further evidence to submit which might

alter the priority given to this topic, you may submit it at any time.

"At this stage", interesting.

Maybe a few are thinking about how much distance they can put between this and themselves !

Or in reality just a bog standard reply when the request is refuised. i.e the answer is no but there is nothing to stop you asking again if you anything new arises.

I do wonder how wise the LVP press release was the day before the decision as I have to admit if I was making the decision such a release would make me less inclined to vote as they wanted me to as I would not have wanted it to appear that I had been pressurised into a decision.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...of-man-21519936

Musical star Sam Barks is to return to her Isle of Man home next month to start filming for A Christmas Candle, it has been confirmed.

An Isle of Man Film spokesman confirmed filming would begin in late March.

The arrangement is part of the Isle of Man's collaboration with Pinewood Studios, a deal struck with the aim of boosting the Manx film industry.

Treasury Minister Eddie Teare said the production will become one of four made in the island since last October.

Other t

http://www.bbc.co.uk...of-man-21519936

Musical star Sam Barks is to return to her Isle of Man home next month to start filming for A Christmas Candle, it has been confirmed.

An Isle of Man Film spokesman confirmed filming would begin in late March.

The arrangement is part of the Isle of Man's collaboration with Pinewood Studios, a deal struck with the aim of boosting the Manx film industry.

Treasury Minister Eddie Teare said the production will become one of four made in the island since last October.

Other than by association, as above and styled as a "collaboration", how will the Manx taxpayer know which films their money is being invested in? At least with CinemaNX we knew what we were investing because the CinemaNX name was in the credits..

On another related issue. Is there not a conflict of interest if Steve Christian is both an independent producer and the manager of the taxpayer funds invested in the same film?

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

The new association with Pinewood Film Advisors has been a runaway success story according to the Treasury Minister, they have invested millions in the 4 films since Mr Christian was appointed to Pinewood Shepperton Plc, and some of the money has actually been spent on the IOM, well not much, but some, and that has made it all worth while hasn't it boys and girls? So the fact that the film fund and shares money in the "film industry" is almost the amount of money necessary to pay the shortfall this year out of the budget is not to be considered at all, because some of the money has been spent on the IOM. Don't forget students do go and watch the films that have been made with your grant money and tell yourselves it has been money well spent.

I may be missing something here but cannot understand how Eddie can keep trumpeting this investment, all I have read seems to be a small return from divi pay out and a few bed nights for minor productions here on the island.There seems to be a huge sum of public money disappeared and nothing quantifiable in return ? or am I ill informed ?

Edited by asitis

Their argument is that this is part of a long term investment strategy. Essentially, they cite this as being very similar to the near £1billion they have invested in other things on behalf of the taxpayer.

So, we won't really be able to assess whether this has been a success until that 'investment' is cashed in. Now I kind of follow that with the actual share purchase into Pinewood, because we have taken a stake in a company. We all know the risks and the shares could lose value, but it is an established process of investing and some are riskier than others.

Where it starts to unravel for me is the actual Media fund. The investement of which just appears to be wildly speculative and under the new arrangement, even less would appear to be 'recirculated' on the Island through the filiming cycle. Eddie Teare et al are hanging their hats on the new plan, so I only hope they know substantially more than they are letting on.

I would suspect that if any other 'investment manager' had achieved something akin to a 30% reduction in the original investment stake, they would probably no longer be involved in future work with the Treasury. Seems a little odd that a different approach has been taken in regard to the film fund.

Obviously, it should only be considered on the same terms as other investments when it suits a certain side of the argument.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.iomtoday....nwald-1-5519211

Why is it when it comes to Pinewood Eddie seems unable to grasp what appears to me to be a very simple question ?

Perhaps he should have been asked why there is a discrepancy of 8 million pounds between what he said would happen and what has happened ?

Seems to me the others seem unable to ask any questions about this but are thrashing around trying to find loose change down the back of the sofa !

Edited by asitis