Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

So for the Welsh Government investing a similar amount of funds on a similar basis as the IoM Govt they get a permanent film studio in Wales which may well be used for other productions other than those in which the Welsh Govt is partly investing in, potentially many permanent jobs etc and they do not have to gamble miliions in the shares of Pinewood. Whether or not I agree with the Welsh Govt investing money I can at least see the logic of why you might do so in return for the film studios which might get other productions, permanent employment etc.

If the Welsh Assembly are expecting to create significant new jobs in Wales then they should think again. The movie industry by it's nature is highly mobile, it has to be. I'm sure all that will happen is that the UK government will have to spend more on road works as the traffic increases on the M4 corridor as the lighting, carpenters, props, costumes and catering wagons shuttle back and forth between Pinewood/Shepperton & Cardiff.

No idea what the Welsh govt are expecting or whether it stands up as an idea but I can see the logic of the argument for it if you are getting someting in return. In this case a film studio. I think Cardiff already has a reasonable media presence as I think Dr Who is made there as are a few other BBC programmes.

They had a film studio back in 2008 costing 330 million that went to the wall because it didn't get the support it needed. Had the Welsh Assembly backed their own Welsh investors then perhaps they would be renting out space to Pinewood by now.

ETA: Mind you that studio was nowhere near as big as the one proposed by Pinewood.

Edited by Andy Onchan

For the year ended March 2013 Pinewood's Media Investment division (or segment as they like to call it) turned in a loss of almost 2.3 million. For the six months ending 30th Sept 2013 they also managed an operating loss of almost 2.9 million. Both sets of accounts show that the losses were offset by tax credits in the form of UK Film Tax Relief, thus bringing the accounts to an almost break-even position.

If I were a potential investor in a PLC I'd be worried that a company that was unable to turn in an operating profit (using others investment funds) without support from government has no hope in hell of really going anywhere.

http://online.morningstarir.com/ir/pws/ir.jsp?page=news-item&item=1644749136068608

• 4 weeks later...

Pinewood Pictures’Steve Christian said: "This deal will provide a major boost for the local economy, providing jobs and opportunities in the Welsh Industry. We’re hugely excited to be working with the Welsh Government, not only to further support quality British filmmaking but also to highlight the fantastic facilities that Wales can provide, soon to be complemented by the opening of Pinewood Studio Wales."

To date, Pinewood Pictures has invested Isle of Man funds into projects as diverse as AmmaAsante’s Belle, Richard Shepard's Jude Law and Richard E. Grant starrer Dom Hemingway, Ron Scalpello’s Pressure, and Spooks: The Greater Good, which is currently in pre-production.

Yay! Nice to see a boost to the Welsh economy with jobs and opportunities for Welsh Industry.

• Like 1