Do You Support The Bus Drivers - Yes Or No

nelwd

Bus Strike  

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As far as the aspect (pardon the pun) of my job regarding Onchan Traffic Lights I can honestly and proudly say my job is done. As I have said before if you have any concerns raise them via the correct procedures

I should have known a Manx Forums poster was responsible for those shit traffic lights.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as the aspect (pardon the pun) of my job regarding Onchan Traffic Lights I can honestly and proudly say my job is done. As I have said before if you have any concerns raise them via the correct procedures

I should have known a Manx Forums poster was responsible for those shit traffic lights.

Au contraire my foolhardy friend, I am responsible for the installation and maintenance.

Au contraire my foolhardy friend, I am responsible for the installation and maintenance.

Aside from installation and maintenance, what duties are left for anyone else to be responsible for?

And these bus drivers are heroes to many of us!

Wow, you must be easily pleased on the Hero front. Real hard life you got there, on the workers' front, in the gutter, fighting for the rights of the little man and his struggle to put food on the table.

I shall at once cancel all my charitable donations here and send it to you to distribute amongst the bus driving heroes of the working class! The street kids here can see how they survive and pay for their school - bus drivers are clearly a more noble cause!

Absolutely not: they are overpaid at the public's expense.

As for the ominous comments above along the lines of "it may be you next", for those in the private sector, it already has been, and for those in the public sector, it isn't a "may", I hope, so much as a "will". The island cannot afford its current public sector wage bill. It needs to reduce this cost, or sink into penury. I hope they choose the former

What if its your jobs?
It is our jobs, because we don't work for government. Redundancies, pay freezes, or cuts...it's all happening out here in the real world, all that's happened now is those on the cushy taxpayer-funded gravy train are starting to feel it - two paid lunchs FFS!

Financial mismanagement coupled with the global economic downturn has put our economy where it is. Private sector workers have been living with this reality since 2008, it's about time government employees shared the pain.

I agree it is unfair to implement cuts from bottom up, rather than top down, but as long as government is cutting the luxury conditions some workers enjoy, that's fine by me.

Wow, you must be easily pleased on the Hero front. Real hard life you got there, on the workers' front, in the gutter, fighting for the rights of the little man and his struggle to put food on the table.

I shall at once cancel all my charitable donations here and send it to you to distribute amongst the bus driving heroes of the working class! The street kids here can see how they survive and pay for their school - bus drivers are clearly a more noble cause!

Well you can. It does help pay for the soup I make.

In the event (god forbid) of a fatality (proved to be as a result of a "defective installation") I wouldn't care to be in your shoes if you were cited as a "second respondent" .

In any event I trust you have sent a few CMA memo's to show at the inquest , an employee cannot abdicate responsibility .

Well you can. It does help pay for the soup I make.

I think I prefer to continue supporting those who really need support. Unfortunately, IOM bus drivers do not really fall into that category.

Just to make it clear: I completely agree that it sucks what the government is pulling off there and that cuts should start from the top, but hey ho, it's the way it rolls and it will not mean that bus drivers go hungry (didn't one of them say they would be 'malnourished'? What an arsehole) or that they will lose their homes or otherwise suffer. It means a long overdue cost reduction appears to be taking place.

People in the private sector have already felt the belt tightening for some time now. Welcome to the principle that life, in general, isn't fair. If the drivers were really so brilliant and lovely and skilled that they deserve a huge salary and paid lunch breaks, then I'm sure they would have no problem leaving BV and working elsewhere. Hey, they can simply reapply once BV is privatised - surely, if they really deserve that much, the new operator will only be too happy to pay them top whack? We all know, though, that they won't get anywhere near as much because it's simply not commercial market rate. Yes, the management there seem to be made up of muppets and self interested individuals trying to get some shady deals going, but that will have to be addressed separately - and one would hope it is addressed.

As for it not being right that terms can simply be cancelled and new ones imposed: again, not fair but that's life. At least they got a fair warning and still have a well paid job afterwards. I've seen colleagues laid off without warning six days before Christmas. It's how the private sector rolls, you know. If the drivers don't like it, there's nothing stopping them from leaving. There are plenty of others who would do the job.

So for now, I must politely decline your offer to pay towards your soup. See, on the one hand I see grown men behaving like children and crying over a little lost money instead of making the best of their situation and adapting. On the other hand, around where I live right now, I see people like

, who's 13 and has already managed to help over 10000 other street kids. I think he needs the soup more. I also think he's awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I have said NO. I agree however with the other comments on fairness across the board.... Management taking a hit etc etc. Other Departments in Govt should go throught the same process...... But, it has to start somewhere, and for a bus driver to be paid the amount they do on this Island, I just find it incredible. how can driving a bus over here even come close to driving a bus in a big city etc elsewhere...? doesnt stack up. But, the same can be said for a lot of other work areas here.

Just have to hope that this fiancial crisis forces the situation to be addressed accordingly in all work areas..... because, believe me, if we were still flush with VAT money, none of this would be an issue, and the complacency would just continue..... mad.gif

Archived