Do You Support The Bus Drivers - Yes Or No

nelwd

Bus Strike  

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think large sections of the 'Public Sector' worked very hard .......

I think that's true. Unfortunately many of them work hard within a system that seems almost purpose designed to waste money, produce little of value, cover its own backside and is highly resistant to change. The Public Sector *seems* to epitomise the antithesis of democratic management and has learned nothing from continuous improvement, kaizen, lean, self-management, empowerment ... in short it continues to perpetuate a Victorian model of command and control "management" in which employees are indentured to blindly serve the process irrespective of its failure to produce value. There are bright spots, unfortunately not many, but when I look around Gov't operations I repeatedly see business processes and working practices that are 20 - 30 years behind the private sector - often to the frustration of the staff who know very well that things could be much better, more efficient, more effective but are not permitted to introduce change because it would upset the status quo and the archaic governance systems that preserve it.

Whose fault is that? And what needs doing to change them?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone knows that cuts are essential, but everytime one is announced there is mass hysteria, I can well understand that no one welcomes cuts that will affect them but in the end the cuts are going to affect us all. The thing that gets me about the people who demonstrate and shout is not one of them have any suggestions about where the cuts should be made do they want the hospital or the schools or the fire service to have even more cuts so that their piece of cake does not have to be made smaller. Perhaps some departments should be ring fenced, but which ones ? everyone has a different take on that. There is no more money and next year there is going to be even less so we had better get used to the idea.

You are graham cregeen and I claim my five pounds.

if he is Longworth we can share the riches.

I think that's true. Unfortunately many of them work hard within a system that seems almost purpose designed to waste money, produce little of value, cover its own backside and is highly resistant to change. The Public Sector *seems* to epitomise the antithesis of democratic management and has learned nothing from continuous improvement, kaizen, lean, self-management, empowerment ... in short it continues to perpetuate a Victorian model of command and control "management" in which employees are indentured to blindly serve the process irrespective of its failure to produce value. There are bright spots, unfortunately not many, but when I look around Gov't operations I repeatedly see business processes and working practices that are 20 - 30 years behind the private sector - often to the frustration of the staff who know very well that things could be much better, more efficient, more effective but are not permitted to introduce change because it would upset the status quo and the archaic governance systems that preserve it.

Whose fault is that? And what needs doing to change them?

I was under the impression that the Civil Service control what goes on. If in doubt listen to the MHKs [Ministers ] Replies to question in Tynwald. I don' t think they write them themselves. As most of the top Civil Servants appear to be English [or Scottish] when interviews are on MR; why are we so far behind the times. Were these CS managers not good enough to hold top jobs down where they came from, and if we now have them here, who was responsible for employing them ?

Everyone knows that cuts are essential, but everytime one is announced there is mass hysteria, I can well understand that no one welcomes cuts that will affect them but in the end the cuts are going to affect us all. The thing that gets me about the people who demonstrate and shout is not one of them have any suggestions about where the cuts should be made do they want the hospital or the schools or the fire service to have even more cuts so that their piece of cake does not have to be made smaller. Perhaps some departments should be ring fenced, but which ones ? everyone has a different take on that. There is no more money and next year there is going to be even less so we had better get used to the idea.

You are graham cregeen and I claim my five pounds.

if he is Longworth we can share the riches.

I like this "We're all in it together" thing but some of us are more in it than others. As for everyone being affected - that clearly isn't the case for those earning, or perhaps I should say, "receiving" large salaries from the taxpayer. I would have more respect for this scenario if a similar percentage cut was applied at ALL levels and not just to those actually working for a living. The bus drivers may get a decent pay package but not half as good as some who don't have to work anti-social hours and battle with today's difficult traffic conditions in a 12 metre long vehicle - possibly soon to be extended to 18 metres. I have driven plenty of large vehicles and worked unpleasant shifts myself but I wouldn't want their job, good money or otherwise.

And in the midst of the MEA, Manx Telecom and Farmers all working themselves to the bone in freezing + snow covered conditions, the fat prick bus drivers have announced another strike.

Frankly they should sack the lot of them and give the jobs to people who would be grateful to have them. Of which there is no shortage.

And in the midst of the MEA, Manx Telecom and Farmers all working themselves to the bone in freezing + snow covered conditions, the fat prick bus drivers have announced another strike.

Frankly they should sack the lot of them and give the jobs to people who would be grateful to have them. Of which there is no shortage.

There may be a few farmers that would appreciate driving a bus for a lot more than they are earning and a lot less hours !

As most of the top Civil Servants appear to be English[or Scottish]

Appearances can be deceptive

Treasury - Mark Shimmin - Manx

Health - Dave Killip - Manx

DED - Chris Corlett - Manx

Home Affairs - Mark Kelly - Manx

Just off the top of my head mind!!

Archived