Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

Robertshaw wanted to use the Bill to flex his new found powers and, I have to say for the time, new found respect. He was on a roll and his ego just took over. He was on a trip and he seemed to be taking a lot of Government workers and fellow Tynwald members with him.

But after a while the Bill served to expose just how unsuitable Robertshaw really was/is as a politician. Out of touch with everybody except his own not inconsiderable ego.

During its short life, the Bill served to air the exisiting laws and regulations, which was good all round.

The scandal of this being that some people are still living in dreadfully substandard rented accommodation in the year 2016.

Nice one,Robertshaw.

The Landlords Association were prepared to come to a compromise and work with Mr Robertshaw, but Mr Robertshaw didn't want to know. It's his way or no way. Look at his evidence at the Landlord Select Committee, again he wasn't prepared to compromise. If he wishes to stand for CM you have compromise, it's not a dictatorship.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a good idea in principle. Landlords should be held to account for the quality of their property if it is substandard. I know that there are fire regulations, but other than that I'm not sure what regulations there are in relation to general habitability of rental property.

I appreciate concerns of landlords that the regulations in their previous form may have lead to an increase in costs/rental prices and I agree that there should always be different qualities of rental property available at different prices, however there are some places that from the outside you can tell are absolute tips (battered front doors always left wide open, rubbish / prams / bikes etc strewn everywhere). Including some properties that are on main roads into Douglas which presumably people who visit the island will pass.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, it is likely that the overwhelming majority of properties are absolutely fine. Maybe it's that the environmental health department should take a more active role in dealing with substandard properties, but then where does the money come from I suppose.

Part of the problem has been enforcement.

Legislation is there but very difficult to enforce. I think the idea of the new proposal was to move to a licensing of the landlord. That way, if your property didn't meet a minimum standard required YOU were the one struck off from renting out any property (not just the one concerned).

I thought it was a good idea in principle. Landlords should be held to account for the quality of their property if it is substandard. I know that there are fire regulations, but other than that I'm not sure what regulations there are in relation to general habitability of rental property.

I appreciate concerns of landlords that the regulations in their previous form may have lead to an increase in costs/rental prices and I agree that there should always be different qualities of rental property available at different prices, however there are some places that from the outside you can tell are absolute tips (battered front doors always left wide open, rubbish / prams / bikes etc strewn everywhere). Including some properties that are on main roads into Douglas which presumably people who visit the island will pass.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, it is likely that the overwhelming majority of properties are absolutely fine. Maybe it's that the environmental health department should take a more active role in dealing with substandard properties, but then where does the money come from I suppose.

It's not always the landlords fault. Some tenants don't help themselves, dump rubbish - don't adhere to the terms of their tenancy agreement. Yes, properties can look unsightly but government properties aren't exactly 'sweet', and especially around the Sea Terminal - the islands gateway.

Archived