Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

Does anyone else find this particullary disgusting?

Mr Robershaw has increased rents of the elderly in public sector housing without any consultation whatsoever, forcing many into heat and fuel poverty traps yet, when faced with wealthy landlords in the private sector he is willing to wait and extend consultations.

Has it really got to the stage when the poor can be pissed on from a great height , while the wealthy dictate policy to our Ministers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mulokin, You're not really comparing loke with like there.

However, there is nothing that surprises me that comes from Robertshaw these days. Never in the history of Tynwald has someonme swallowed the establishment pill so wholesale as Christopher Roy Robertshaw. His constituents voted for a very different person than what is now emerging.

I find it very sad that he was more than happy to roam around here pre-elections but has now disappeared.

Chris, knowing that you will read this: ManxForums was good enough for you when you were looking for votes. Please consider using it as a tool to stay in touch with the electorate now. Doing so would be a positive thing. Not doing so would reinforce the belief that you only used the place and now have become "one of them" who couldn't care less about anything or anyone but themselves. It would be nice if that wasn't the case.

In fairness, posting here can hardly be considered to be engaging with the electorate. There are only a handful of active posters, mixed with a variety of nomarks and nut jobs.

Maybe he already does engage with the electorate in his own constituency? I don't know as I'm not in Douglas. Anyone care to comment?

He has done the Comin travelling circus, so he appears willing to engage?

Chris, knowing that you will read this: ManxForums was good enough for you when you were looking for votes. Please consider using it as a tool to stay in touch with the electorate now. Doing so would be a positive thing. Not doing so would reinforce the belief that you only used the place and now have become "one of them" who couldn't care less about anything or anyone but themselves. It would be nice if that wasn't the case.

The consultation was extended because of the scale of response from landlords and the creation of a landlords association. Isn't responding appropriately staying in touch with the electorate?

I find it very sad that he was more than happy to roam around here pre-elections but has now disappeared.

I'm no Robertshaw fan but I wouldn't blame him for avoiding the rabid default anti government waffle this board is littered with. I often wonder if you'd have such a perma-presence around here had your bid for the Keys been more warmly received by the electorate. Although you have the ability to remove any content you don't care for, and a willingness to exploit that ability. A luxury not available to Mr Robertshaw. Some might even see it as a conflict of interests.

Although you have the ability to remove any content you don't care for, and a willingness to exploit that ability.

Man, what's your problem? You PL in disguise or something? Give it a rest, One Song Mary.

For the non-anti-me part of your post: Yes, I would still be here if I had been elected. Not sure how much more or less, but I would still be here.

Also funny that this rabid default anti government waffle-filled board was good enough for him when he was looking for votes, ey?

Firstly, why do you assume all landlords are wealthy? Buy to let has almost no margins and carries huge risk. Imagine your mortgage is £800 pcm and you achieve £850 p/m in rent but also incur a 2 month void every couple of years. You also need to repaint and re-carpet periodically and cover the cost of m&e servicing and repairs. Unless there is capital growth, you can easily end up loosing stacks of money.

Secondly, it is hugely important to get this policy right as it will affect a lot of people. Minimum standards are a must, no question, but if worded incorrectly, tenants would start brandishing the Act as a form of negotiation when they decide they don't like the carpets or think the kitchen looks dated.

Tenants are already protected under various acts (fire regulations etc) and this is another form of control over a market that should be largely left to manage itself.

I'll just reiterate, I do absolutely agree with minimum standards for vulnerable people in poor properties but imo these should not stray too far from basic health and safety, cleanliness, standard of decoration, water tightness etc.

My tuppence worth.

A neighbour has been working on a flat to rent. He bought the flat and is upgrading it in compliance with all building and fire regulations etc. It is costing a small fortune and a lot of time and effort. Then he has to find a tenant who he can trust. There will be the inevitable repairs, monthly fire checks (by law) and other maintenance. Then there will be periods when the flat will be empty due to change of tenant etc. Some tenants may not pay rent and he has had hassle of needing to take one to court for non-payment of rent. (oh, and the Isle of Man courts will not award costs against the tenant, he was informed by the expensive Athol Street advocate.)

All hassle and expense. For a little over £100 per week return.

It nicely puts into perspective what an MHK/MLC for example, does for ten times that £100 per week and which is clear guaranteed money, with a pension to boot and no hassles (yes, I said no hassles, certainly not relatively speaking).

+1 and no he doesn't engage with his electorate of which I am one.

Archived