Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

This is no different than dog licences or any other registration scheme.

The fact is any given scenario (e.g. ownership of dogs or rental properties), the vast majority will comply with law or at least common decency and the minority will not, this would mean that any registration or licensing scheme is merely a revenue collection scam.

Those that don't have any interest in compliance with common decency will have no respect for any I enforceable law and will take the calculated risk of non-compliance.

How many licenced dogs do you imagine are getting collected by the Dog Wardens impaired to the amount of unlicenced?

Basically this amounts to the compliant and decent minded people paying for the non-compliant indecent minded people. Registration/licence or not there will always be a small percentage that take the risk for selfish reasons.

It's a bit like having a blanket 20mph speed limit on all rural roads because thre are 100 vehicles (known to the Police) that drive at ridiculous speeds and sticking one police unit to enforce that law.

I'm just waiting for the "breathing licence" otherwise known as the "oxygen stealth tax" to come in.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who has been involved in maintenance work for a number of years I am frankly not surprised at the reaction of landlords here on the IOM to this proposed bill. I have come across many properties that do not comply with industry standards for basic Health & Safety requirements. The issue seems to be that many IOM companies have been fleecing landlords for years with overpricing for maintenance work and servicing of fire alarms, emergency lighting etc. etc. to such an extent that when the words Health & Safety are mentioned they all run for cover and make statements like "that is UK legislation and it doesn't apply on the IOM". WRONG!! I run my own company which I set up to try and address some of these issues but it seems to be very difficult to effect change even when your pricing is much more attractive than your competitors. Anyone out there interested? mail me.

• 5 months later...
"13. The Hon. Member for Onchan (Mr Karran) to ask the Minister for Social Care –

Why the present landlord and tenancy legislation is not being enforced; and why

there is a need for new proposed landlord and tenancy Legislation?"

Question set down in Tynwald next Tuesday 10th Dec. Once again, PK is the only one there that shows any basic common sense. This is no time for the creation of a whole new Government Department and associated costs. True, there are some bad landlords on the island that need severe correction. Why not use the existing rules rather than spend time and money creating new ones?

As someone who has been involved in maintenance work for a number of years I am frankly not surprised at the reaction of landlords here on the IOM to this proposed bill. I have come across many properties that do not comply with industry standards for basic Health & Safety requirements. The issue seems to be that many IOM companies have been fleecing landlords for years with overpricing for maintenance work and servicing of fire alarms, emergency lighting etc. etc. to such an extent that when the words Health & Safety are mentioned they all run for cover and make statements like "that is UK legislation and it doesn't apply on the IOM". WRONG!! I run my own company which I set up to try and address some of these issues but it seems to be very difficult to effect change even when your pricing is much more attractive than your competitors. Anyone out there interested? mail me.

Ah the old "Non Lodge Member Problem"

Good luck with that one old chap....................

• 4 months later...

If you make it impossible for landlords to make a reasonable living out of the risk they take, the rental availability will inevitably drop. There isn't enough social housing to absorb this so where exactly are the prospective tenants are now going to live?

Those old enough may remember the UK situation prior to 15Jan89. The law was so far on the tenant's side that landlords just didn't risk renting. Thatcher recognised this and the situation evolved into the now almost universal assured shorthold tenancy. This brought back a degree of control to the landlord who, let's not forget, owns the property. Before that date, he might never regain control of his property in his lifetime and that was plain wrong. This crucial change in the law encouraged landlords to start letting again and the situation improved for all tenants.

I am all for controlling the rogue element but it's a very small percentage imo. Most landlords I know are surprisingly hard working but nobody wants to hear that 'cos them all rich innit?

• 1 month later...

Is the Manx Landlords' Association operating in Stealth Mode? I spent about 40mins looking for a webpage, twitter ID, email address, phone number... and nothing.

I heard there's a few off for a jolly at Pinewood at the moment...where they are watching them making 'Slum-pit Millionaire'

• 3 months later...

http://www.iomtoday....lords-1-6847682

Thank you Amadeus - amusing article probably for the wrong reasons

from the article

"Mr Abrahams said environmental health had no issues with his properties."

This stretches the imagination to breaking point, having seen some of his properties

"He explained that from the outset he had acted as an unpaid social worker and accommodation officer and had housed people for the Manx Community Housing Trust, various churches, the women’s refuge, rehabilitation units, probation officers, prison welfare officers and even through the Department of Health and Social Care itself."

Now he is really having a larf w00t.gif He should be nominated for sainthood

"But he claimed a member of Tynwald recently made ‘derogatory remarks’ at Tynwald concerning him and his properties. ‘I had to threaten him with legal action. That’s unfortunate,’ he said."

If you really were a straight up sort of guy would you really have to threaten Tynwald members?? hard to believe

Archived