Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it very sad that he was more than happy to roam around here pre-elections but has now disappeared.

Chris, knowing that you will read this: ManxForums was good enough for you when you were looking for votes. Please consider using it as a tool to stay in touch with the electorate now. Doing so would be a positive thing. Not doing so would reinforce the belief that you only used the place and now have become "one of them" who couldn't care less about anything or anyone but themselves. It would be nice if that wasn't the case.

Yeah...kinda sums it up really.

Tax the poor, hold off when the rich kick off about taxing or adding costs onto them. I wouldn't know where to start explaining to people about that either.

Let alone continuing to spend £320M on bloated government salaries and wages all the while.

Amadeus,

I extended the landlord and tenant (private housing) bill consultation because there appeared to be a lot of misunderstandings about it and I thought extra time would help people to both understand it better and provide more time for the submission of views to the consultation. I also encouraged landlords to set up their own association so that they could better represent their interests in matters such as legislation.

This legislation is all about achieving basic minimum standards of decency above which most landlords already operate. Sadly there are some who do not. The last survey conducted indicated that between three and four percent of properties are not fit for human habitation.

There are about 7000 properties on the Isle of Man in the private rental market.

This is typical IOM legislation Chris, you admit there is an issue with 4% of properties so instead of managing that problem properly by being proactive you opt to bring in stupid over bearing legislation for 100% of landlords.

Amadeus,

I extended the landlord and tenant (private housing) bill consultation because there appeared to be a lot of misunderstandings about it and I thought extra time would help people to both understand it better and provide more time for the submission of views to the consultation. I also encouraged landlords to set up their own association so that they could better represent their interests in matters such as legislation.

This legislation is all about achieving basic minimum standards of decency above which most landlords already operate. Sadly there are some who do not. The last survey conducted indicated that between three and four percent of properties are not fit for human habitation.

There are about 7000 properties on the Isle of Man in the private rental market.

Have people in those properties been re-housed?

hboy

If the current legislation worked then there would be no need to bring in any new legislation. You say the new legislation will be overbearing - in what way do you think that will be the case?

Chris

Because the market is on its arse and there are lots of reluctant landlords out there just struggling to survive. Some have had to let houses they can't sell because the market is so bad, some have left the Island as they can't get work and they can't sell up either, and some thought buy to let was a great idea 5 years ago and are geared up to their arses and have the banks on their backs and a shortage of tenants. None of these people can afford the extra costs and the extra hassle as they probably aren't making a penny on their lets because of the circumstances they are in. So right when things are bad, here comes a load of stupid rules to kick them in the nuts with. It won't stop the really bad abusers, and it won't impact on the rental empire of the Islands 'favourite' property developer. It will just take even more margin out of those who are only renting because they can't sell, putting them in a worse position. If you have a problem with 4% of landlords you don't fix it by imposing new rules on 100% of them in times of economic hardship.

hboy

If the current legislation worked then there would be no need to bring in any new legislation. You say the new legislation will be overbearing - in what way do you think that will be the case?

Chris

Which part of 'Tynwald already has sufficient legislation that is not being policed effectively on at least 4% of uninhabitable properties on the island' do you not understand Chris?

Come on...we thought you were better than this. You needed to get out of the office and talk to these landlords before you came up with this plan. You are making few friends in terms of tenants or landlords. The effective result is nothing but a tax take for the government purse at the expense of both - whilst we are still left with a bloated government, even more of which will be required to admin this latest scheme.

hboy

Chris

Because the market is on its arse and there are lots of reluctant landlords out there just struggling to survive. Some have had to let houses they can't sell because the market is so bad, some have left the Island as they can't get work and they can't sell up either, and some thought buy to let was a great idea 5 years ago and are geared up to their arses and have the banks on their backs and a shortage of tenants. None of these people can afford the extra costs and the extra hassle as they probably aren't making a penny on their lets because of the circumstances they are in. So right when things are bad, here comes a load of stupid rules to kick them in the nuts with. It won't stop the really bad abusers, and it won't impact on the rental empire of the Islands 'favourite' property developer. It will just take even more margin out of those who are only renting because they can't sell, putting them in a worse position. If you have a problem with 4% of landlords you don't fix it by imposing new rules on 100% of them in times of economic hardship.

Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind your views expressed earlier. The 'stupid rules' your refer to are things that landlords should already be complying with now. The proposals consolidate them all in one place. The proposed legislation is designed to deal with those working below basic decency standards and I am confident it will do so. The extra cost you talk about is a registration fee once every three years and is modest.

Archived