Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

http://www.iomtoday....lords-1-6847682

Thank you Amadeus - amusing article probably for the wrong reasons

from the article

"Mr Abrahams said environmental health had no issues with his properties."

This stretches the imagination to breaking point, having seen some of his properties

"He explained that from the outset he had acted as an unpaid social worker and accommodation officer and had housed people for the Manx Community Housing Trust, various churches, the women’s refuge, rehabilitation units, probation officers, prison welfare officers and even through the Department of Health and Social Care itself."

Now he is really having a larf w00t.gif He should be nominated for sainthood

"But he claimed a member of Tynwald recently made ‘derogatory remarks’ at Tynwald concerning him and his properties. ‘I had to threaten him with legal action. That’s unfortunate,’ he said."

If you really were a straight up sort of guy would you really have to threaten Tynwald members?? hard to believe

He's known to be trigger happy on the legal side of things. Why anyone would say anything bad about such a saintly individual, who rents out such splendid properties while only having the good of society at heart, is of course entirely beyond me. Silly MHKs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course anything said in Tynwald is subject to absolute parliamentary privilege. The person speaking the words cannot be sued. So not sure what "legal threats " Mr Abrahams might have made.

Note. Parliamentary privilege does not extend to Manx Forums. There is no absolute legal right to freedom of speech/expression ( in spite of what some posters seem to think) in law. Posters and MF have been subject to legal action. Just reminding.

I wonder what the income is from 110 rental properties. That must be some serious amount. I know it's not all pure profit because there are repairs, maintenance, various government charges etc. but I am bginning to think I'm in the wrong business!

ETA: I guess it's a risk in the event that the economy seriously tanks. A lot of real estate on your hands.

Of course anything said in Tynwald is subject to absolute parliamentary privilege. The person speaking the words cannot be sued. So not sure what "legal threats " Mr Abrahams might have made.

not sure if your interpretation of absolute parliamentary privilege is the same as mine or Mr Abrahams but you might like to speak to some people who used to be MHKs about whether or not they were free to speak their mind. Current batch are likely to keep schtum.

There are some subjects you stir up the fury of the whips if you even mention them in Westminster. Tynwald is the same. You could provoke an expenses scandal/investigation or a puking on a bus story in the media. Courts are not everything you know.

In fairness, posting here can hardly be considered to be engaging with the electorate. There are only a handful of active posters, mixed with a variety of nomarks and nut jobs.

Maybe he already does engage with the electorate in his own constituency? I don't know as I'm not in Douglas. Anyone care to comment?

He has done the Comin travelling circus, so he appears willing to engage?

From one nut job , no mark , to one very naive (clever ) person. You really believe all the Public Consultations, Big Debate ( we really are listening to you ) tripe. ? Do you seriously believe any Government plans will be changed because a couple of hundred well meaning people turn up at a ' Public Meeting ' . The only hope we had was Bell and Teare being ousted by individuals with a bit more imagination , replacing the Tunnel Vision of BT. That hope is now dashed by the emergence of the incredibly arrogant Robertshaw. I say again - next Chief Minister. What an appalling glimpse of the future.

This bill could be good news for Dandara

Most of the substandard accommodation is in crumbling Victorian boarding house conversions, whereas Heritage have any amount of new or nearly new empty flats

They had no qualms about letting DHSS tenants into the old Crescent Cinema development

That hope is now dashed by the emergence of the incredibly arrogant Robertshaw. I say again - next Chief Minister. What an appalling glimpse of the future.

That Robertshaw is a funny man. Is he Alex Downies boss? Now there's a Douglas boy whose done good for himself. That Alex Downie. He did my flue once. Lost his watch. Well he only has short arms. That Robertshaw had a lovely hotel. Then that funny bloke bought it and they stopped painting it. Have they let him out yet? If I still had me van and me brushes If he was out I'd be giving that funny bloke a ring. See if he wants his walls doing. And now that Robertshaw is Alex Downies boss. It's a funny old world. Haven't seen him down the Legion for months. Hope he's got rid of those deck shoes. Made him look like a right jouster. They call him Miami Vice down at the Legion.

That hope is now dashed by the emergence of the incredibly arrogant Robertshaw. I say again - next Chief Minister. What an appalling glimpse of the future.

That Robertshaw is a funny man. Is he Alex Downies boss? Now there's a Douglas boy whose done good for himself. That Alex Downie. He did my flue once. Lost his watch. Well he only has short arms. That Robertshaw had a lovely hotel. Then that funny bloke bought it and they stopped painting it. Have they let him out yet? If I still had me van and me brushes If he was out I'd be giving that funny bloke a ring. See if he wants his walls doing. And now that Robertshaw is Alex Downies boss. It's a funny old world. Haven't seen him down the Legion for months. Hope he's got rid of those deck shoes. Made him look like a right jouster. They call him Miami Vice down at the Legion.

Robbershaw is most definitely a funny man and deeply involved in an area called the Cabinet Office along with Whitehall Greedhow and twinkletoes TinkerBell.

Quite a place, some really nice guys (cough) who make a crooked car salesman look naive and their office is er..... interestingly set up if you don't look too close. Not going to say too much more as I'm close enough, but if people can't see what's occurred here, then they blindly follow something that will unlawfully impact on them in one form or another.

Back in 5 weeks, adiós

Does anyone else find this particullary disgusting?

Mr Robershaw has increased rents of the elderly in public sector housing without any consultation whatsoever, forcing many into heat and fuel poverty traps yet, when faced with wealthy landlords in the private sector he is willing to wait and extend consultations.

Has it really got to the stage when the poor can be pissed on from a great height , while the wealthy dictate policy to our Ministers.

He's an arrogant and self important man in a Government full of them. Just what is going on with Bell and Watterson away at the Labour Conference. Have the Labour Party changed that much ? Bell becoming ' big mates with Salmond . Is it just that he is trying to cover all possibilities with the UK General Election not that far off. I would not have thought that the COM policies would sit well with Labour, but mabye they have changed as well and now everyone is just blindly in pursuit of the ' wealthy ' vote. Can we look forward to Bell and company crawling up to UKIP in the near future. They may well have a measure of influence after the Election, mabye a big one.

• 3 months later...

Do you mean to say that one could not say, for example, that Mr X is a fucking crook and a parasite whose properties are often unfit for habitation in spite of their extortionate rents?

The problem is the legislation was almost exclusively targeted at one individual and it was deeply unfair and biased towards everyone else.

I agree that the proposal was a mess, it does need redrafting and protection for tenants AND landlords needs to be in there.

The existing authorities also need to grow some balls vs horrid landlords and use the laws we have already to protect people.

Mulokin, You're not really comparing loke with like there.

However, there is nothing that surprises me that comes from Robertshaw these days. Never in the history of Tynwald has someonme swallowed the establishment pill so wholesale as Christopher Roy Robertshaw. His constituents voted for a very different person than what is now emerging.

It is near impossible for a successful private sector businessman to move across to the public sector successfully and bring in private sector methods and objectives. The two sectors do not correlate in required skills etc, their ethics are alien to each other and one wants to make as much money as possible whilst the other wants to spend as much as possible, so it easy to see how anyone can be transduced to the dark side as he/she would likely be feeling like stringing themself up otherwise.

Archived