Minister Robertshaw Delays Landlord Bill

mulokin

This is typical IOM legislation Chris, you admit there is an issue with 4% of properties so instead of managing that problem properly by being proactive you opt to bring in stupid over bearing legislation for 100% of landlords.

This. And what does refusing DHSS tenants have to do with living standards?

Here's my fear about the legislation:

"Therefore, property

owners who have committed violent, sexual or drugs related offences, practiced unlawful discrimination or
contravened any provision of Housing or Landlord and Tenant law within the past 3 years may not be
granted registration, or may be required to appoint a letting agent with full management rights and
responsibilities of all dwellings in their portfolio in order to continue to rent their properties out."
Consider this scenario: A prospective tenant, a single man on benefits views a flat. A professional couple in full time employment view the same flat. The landlord offers the flat to the couple, who accept. The are, from experience, going to be much better tenants; reliable payers, less trouble, less mess, not at home all day, not heavy drinkers, etc.
The single chap complaints, his complaint is upheld and the landlord is prosecuted. Now, according to this legislation the landlord cannot let out his property any more, and must use a letting agent, giving away at least 10% of his income.
This is going too far, gives too much power to the tenant, and has nothing to do with protecting living standards.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a total layman in these matters but just wondering if issues relating to secretive ultimate beneficial ownership of rented properties could be an issue regarding Landlord registration?

About 1997-8 I discovered some collusion between Coroner and Advocate and CSP at a Coroner’s auction whereby it was clear the auction had been decided in advance and the conveyance drawn up signed and sealed accordingly….I had been asked by the Superior Landlord/Owner of the Freehold in a block of flat conversions to cast an eye over the Conveyance and spotted the discrepancy!

Seeking to prove this and inform the Island’s Lt Governor (who appoints Coroners) I researched at the Registry and it showed that the Coroner had sold many, many properties to the same owner and Landlord namely an Isle of Man registered company….

The Isle of Man company details did not reveal who was the actual flesh and blood owner or Landlord in terms of who got the rent as of course the Isle of Man company had local directors who described themselves as agents and were very tight lipped..

However, they claimed to be taking instructions from the Directors and shareholders of an identically named company registered in Monrovia, Liberia…which in turn owned the Isle of Man company that successfully bid at the auction?…As I recall it in the sense that I think the Liberian company owned the shares of the Isle of Man company but it was a long time ago.

Anyway, I was unable to prove that the Coroner personally owned tons of Island property hidden by way of Liberia as one cannot easily crack open a Liberian company. Well I failed!

A very quick and I admit shallow look at the proposed Landlord legislation shows I think that the managing agent must register but bears responsibility under the proposed law. If I am correct maybe some of the CSPs who are quite happy to front and act as agents in the traditional secretive way may not want the hastle and responsibility…or will this lead to exposure of the beneficial owners? Just a thought!

When researching the above at the Registry I discovered that the same Coroner had also sold tons of property to another well known local Landlord of particularly nasty rental properties of the House that Jack Built variety!…But not shielded by Liberia!

I realise that land and property registration has since undergone much change via an electronic Land Registry and of which I have no experience but just thought the above might have a bearing in regard to some shady Landlords. Of course I may now be hopelessly out of date and the issues raised here of no relevance.

It would appear to my quick reading that under the proposed law a tenant can give notice of one month and terminate a tenancy if the Landlord is not registered and take action to recover moneys already paid where a Landlord is not registered. (Those that need to be)…

I just wondered if all this potential hastle is putting off the CSPs &/or other agents or if they as managing agents or any managing agents appear in court whether it could lead to exposure of hitherto secretive property owners???

Just a thought….Anyone?

Barry, the adventures, excitement and discoveries you come across while cleaning bogs are wonderful. You should write a book. Here's a title suggestion: Made Up Brown Stuff.

All the above is true. And I did go and see the Lt Governor…well you don’t actually see the Governor he is aloof you see the ADC who at the time was Michael Woods…

They were keen to know the details…Later all property auctions by Coroners were suspended for one year…I gave evidence to some Civil Service officials…But this is not the point….

The question is whether possible exposure of secretive property owners is a potential issue to some under the proposed Landlord and Tenant legislation and so I invite comment from those who have experience of CSP matters.

Oh, and by the way. Don’t be a job snob. Cleaners do very valuable work. Try living without one…Anyway, I was stringing for newspapers at the time…

Barry, I would never be a job snob and question the value of your, or anyone's work, as a cleaner. Before my high flying, jet setting egaming career (yeah right...), I worked in some not quite so glamorous jobs, including on the boats for the steam racket. Plenty of cleaning to be done in rough seas, I tell thee. I've also done some other right sh*t jobs in the past, but each and every time did I try and do it right and learn something from it, so I would never ever look down at anyone for the job they are doing.

I am, however, of the opinion that your business cards should surely read Barry Münchhausen, Global Hygiene Technician Extraordinaire.

Maybe he already does engage with the electorate in his own constituency?

attachicon.gifJettison.jpg

Chris has failed to respond to emails i have sent him and facebook posts. He has refused to address a meeting concerning children's social services.

As an East Douglas constituent I feel extremely let down and disappointed with my own gullibility.

There are lots of houses and flats in East Douglas that are not fit to kennel a dog, I would not be surprised if 4% unfit for human habitation is on the low side for East Douglas. The legislation is already there to deal with Rachman/Hoogstraten style landlords, what is lacking is the backbone to enforce it. Compulsory purchases at a big discount would be a big deterrent but the hassle for civil servants appears to be too much.

We have far too much "legislation" written by fools, we do not need yet more.

It is true the legislation is already in place.

Whats not in place is a working Attourney Generals Office that is dealing with the prosecutions.

I know there have been several cases brought before the AG Office in the last few years and not one has been proceeded with.

Lets have some truth and stop bullshitting people.

The new legislation will bring everything in line but will not address the AG not doing the job.

Its a right mess when you ask the AG why they have not prosecuted when given cases by Department of Home Affairs they bring in the confidentiality card. Yet again change the record please.

Barry, I would never be a job snob and question the value of your, or anyone's work, as a cleaner. Before my high flying, jet setting egaming career (yeah right...), I worked in some not quite so glamorous jobs, including on the boats for the steam racket. Plenty of cleaning to be done in rough seas, I tell thee. I've also done some other right sh*t jobs in the past, but each and every time did I try and do it right and learn something from it, so I would never ever look down at anyone for the job they are doing.

I am, however, of the opinion that your business cards should surely read Barry Münchhausen, Global Hygiene Technician Extraordinaire.

Stick to your guns Barry!

I went to the moon the year before Apollo 11. My mate had invented some stuff called Cavorite (an anti gravity paint). Bit dodgy, we came across strange moon creatures and had a right adventure. No one believes us either though, but it's true.

I don't blame him, it sounds like you want to get all up in his grill and that.

Maybe he already does engage with the electorate in his own constituency?

attachicon.gifJettison.jpg

Chris has failed to respond to emails i have sent him and facebook posts. He has refused to address a meeting concerning children's social services.

As an East Douglas constituent I feel extremely let down and disappointed with my own gullibility.

There are lots of houses and flats in East Douglas that are not fit to kennel a dog, I would not be surprised if 4% unfit for human habitation is on the low side for East Douglas. The legislation is already there to deal with Rachman/Hoogstraten style landlords, what is lacking is the backbone to enforce it. Compulsory purchases at a big discount would be a big deterrent but the hassle for civil servants appears to be too much.

We have far too much "legislation" written by fools, we do not need yet more.

Well perhaps I feel like an unrepresented peasant, and on election day I actually believed in the man but that must have been salesman's puff and my gullibility.

Nice of Chris to acknowledge, there is of course a precedent when Parliament chose to ignore the chartists.

quote from Northern Star 1842

Three and half millions have quietly, orderly, soberly, peaceably but firmly asked of their rulers to do justice; and their rulers have turned a deaf ear to that protest. Three and a half millions of people have asked permission to detail their wrongs, and enforce their claims for RIGHT, and the 'House' has resolved they should not be heard!

I mistakenly believed even in our sham democracy that I would get a reply, still you live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Bill in that last ten years.

Long long overdue.

The squats that the tax payer is paying landlords 600-800 a month for will have to be brought up to a civilized standard.

Thats all only a handfull have signed up, not sure if they understand they will all be forcibly made to do so or face fines in exess of 5k per offence.

Robertshaw may get somethings very wrong, this is not one of them.

The squats that the tax payer is paying landlords 600-800 a month for will have to be brought up to a civilized standard.

Isn't a squat by definition lacking a landlord?

Not quite, tenants who occupy without permission and do not pay rent.

Archived