National broadcaster reporting a new strategy to build the Manx economy for the future has been unveiled by the Chief Minister

Manx radio reports that this is to achieved in least at the first part by running an online survey of island businesses

Further input will be garnered from professional bodies & the illustriously self-elected Chamber of Commerce

www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=65935

Is this the right way to plan economic development?

Is DED party to it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlikely, CoMin have contempt for electorate

I know we only pay for it & have no actual right of access to information, but it would be interesting to hear what the government economist & other advisors have to say

Smacks of desperation IMO.

And the ultimate in unaccountability - we ask you want you want, you tell us what you want, and if we do what you want and its a pile of shite its not our fault because it was your idea. Worse still that collection of lunatic headless chickens at chamber of commerce is involved.

Smacks of desperation IMO.

And the ultimate in unaccountability - we ask you want you want, you tell us what you want, and if we do what you want and its a pile of shite its not our fault because it was your idea.

...and quite frankly we've run out of ideas, what we've tried so far has failed.

You know, I thought DED had been building a strategy for the economic future of this island since it's inception - now I find it hasn't & the CM has put it out to a survey of local businesses. You just despair...

You know, I thought DED had been building a strategy for the economic future of this island since it's inception - now I find it hasn't & the CM has put it out to a survey of local businesses. You just despair...

Economic Development's strategy is to kiss ass of rich people to beg them to come here and rip us off.

Economic Development's strategy is to kiss ass of rich people to beg them to come here and rip us off.

At the moment I think they're doing their best to keep companies on the Island.

We need to see more accountability at the DED. We have armies of staff costing us a fortune but no clear results or initiatives that we can see. Just what do they do week in week out? They've obviously hit a brick wall. Shouldn't the DED be in constant dialogue with industry leaders, economists and certain other parties anyway, as a matter of course? Surely economic development is a 5 day a week, full-time job, not whenever they come up with a fancy strapline and expensive consultation process.

Shouldn't the DED be in constant dialogue with industry leaders, economists and certain other parties anyway, as a matter of course? Surely economic development is a 5 day a week, full-time job, not whenever they come up with a fancy strapline and expensive consultation process.

I'm sure they regularly meet up with the island's elite but we just don't hear about it because it's behind closed doors.

Shouldn't the DED be in constant dialogue with industry leaders, economists and certain other parties anyway, as a matter of course? Surely economic development is a 5 day a week, full-time job, not whenever they come up with a fancy strapline and expensive consultation process.

I'm sure they regularly meet up with the island's elite but we just don't hear about it because it's behind closed doors.

We just see the results of these 'meetings' i.e. Sefton. There's not much economic development goes on from them, just lining the pockets of already wealthy people.

Archived