You know, I thought DED had been building a strategy for the economic future of this island since it's inception - now I find it hasn't & the CM has put it out to a survey of local businesses. You just despair...

To be fair the DED employs some good people, the problem is - and this exercise exemplifies it - that when it has ideas and things it wants to do, the DED needs impartial advice from people who have the interests of the Island at the heart. Not the usual gallery of tossers who crawl up the governments arse from the chamber of commerce or some of the other groups. A lot of these people will always say 'Thats a great idea' whenever asked for feedback because they're a bunch of arse kissers who only think of themselves and what they can get out of it so they never say 'I don't think thats a good idea, have you thought of this' etc ..

On reflection this might be a stroke of genius from Bell, get these bastards to put their money where their mouth is rather than saying yes to every stupid idea proposed so that they can hoover up grants and favouritism from the people who work at the DED.

I don't think its a weakness for Bell to be asking people to give the DED ideas, the DED probably has many ideas - some good, some bad. But if the same bunch of arse kissers always tell them every idea they have is fantastic in the absence of any different input thats what they're going to run with.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With businesses leaders and the Chamber of Commerce being surveyed, do you think the Government could find the time in their busy schedule to survey the general public they supposedly represent?

Don't think govt have promoted this properly (yet), but a quick google reveals this presentation:

http://www.whereyoucan.com/ibweb/res/pdf/presentations/Isle-of-Man-Vision-2020-Overview.pdf

Also, the survey appears to be open to all island businesses - see http://www.whereyoucan.com/vision2020

Shouldn't the DED be in constant dialogue with industry leaders, economists and certain other parties anyway, as a matter of course? Surely economic development is a 5 day a week, full-time job, not whenever they come up with a fancy strapline and expensive consultation process.

I'm sure they regularly meet up with the island's elite but we just don't hear about it because it's behind closed doors.

They are in constant contact with the islands businesses.

The trouble is when they are seen to do this it is attacked on here as corruption.

The easy access to government on the island is one of the main benefits of doing business here.

Shouldn't the DED be in constant dialogue with industry leaders, economists and certain other parties anyway, as a matter of course? Surely economic development is a 5 day a week, full-time job, not whenever they come up with a fancy strapline and expensive consultation process.

I'm sure they regularly meet up with the island's elite but we just don't hear about it because it's behind closed doors.

The trouble is when they are seen to do this it is attacked on here as corruption.

The easy access to government on the island is one of the main benefits of doing business here.

You, I, and many other prople know that - but in the eyes of people who failed GCSE Politics like TJ, it's a conspiracy

You, I, and many other prople know that - but in the eyes of people who failed GCSE Politics like TJ, it's a conspiracy

Perhaps the unwashed, uneducated peasant class to which I belong would be less inclined to see it as corruption if there was more transparency and if they didn't already have a proven track record of corruption and cover-up with the very same people they are still regularly in contact with. They are public SERVANTS, not our overlords; we have a right to know what goes on behind closed doors with our tax money.

Folk are telling me privately - and I take it, in good faith - that there is merit in these proposals

Pretty damning tho' isn't it for Mr Shimmin & his department to be circumvented in this way, and effectively replaced by an online survey of the nations shopkeepers

DED will have to be renamed the Dept of Administrative Affairs, which is what Mr Robertshaw wanted in the first place

To move things forward, to have a "vision" of what is possible, means you need to have good ideas. These enable you to anticipate your market direction so you can evolve strategies to meet the expected opportunities and being prepared for them maximises your profit from them. Now you simply can't force people to have good ideas. It's simply not possible. So all you can do is create a climate that will encourage them.

So am I the only one who thinks that polling the same old same old isn't exactly "visionary" - in fact wouldn't maintaining the status quo be the expected result?

Maybe I am just an old cynic but it just seems to be a way of appearing to be doing something without actually doing anything. We are forever being told by Bell and Teare that they are in close touch with business and we have a whole department whose whole remit is this.

This just looks like a massive publicity exercise by the Govt to make it look like they are doing something rather than actually getting on and doing it.

Smacks of desperation IMO.

And the ultimate in unaccountability - we ask you want you want, you tell us what you want, and if we do what you want and its a pile of shite its not our fault because it was your idea.

...and quite frankly we've run out of ideas, what we've tried so far has failed.

We? What's this we lark?

Maybe I am just an old cynic but it just seems to be a way of appearing to be doing something without actually doing anything. We are forever being told by Bell and Teare that they are in close touch with business and we have a whole department whose whole remit is this.

This just looks like a massive publicity exercise by the Govt to make it look like they are doing something rather than actually getting on and doing it.

Not necessarily, the DED can only do so much. They need private sector ideas and input to work with as much as any government agency, I just remain skeptical of the ability and level of commercial awareness of some of the people who will be polled to advise IOMG properly.

With businesses leaders and the Chamber of Commerce being surveyed, do you think the Government could find the time in their busy schedule to survey the general public they supposedly represent?

Don't think govt have promoted this properly (yet), but a quick google reveals this presentation:

http://www.whereyoucan.com/ibweb/res/pdf/presentations/Isle-of-Man-Vision-2020-Overview.pdf

Also, the survey appears to be open to all island businesses - see http://www.whereyoucan.com/vision2020

What did we do before Power Point?

Apparently there will be short term actions and longer term initiatives needed.

With such impressive insights from DED I don't think we have anything to worry about.

• 4 years later...

Question for the Big Cheese..... how's this going, Howard?

You do remember this, don't you? You gave it your backing apparently, in 2013.

You only have another 2 years left to report back to us.

I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

By the way.... what happened to the whereyoucan link on the gov.im landing page?? It's missing. 

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Question for the Big Cheese..... how's this going, Howard?

You do remember this, don't you? You gave it your backing apparently, in 2013.

You only have another 2 years left to report back to us.

I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

By the way.... what happened to the whereyoucan link on the gov.im landing page?? It's missing. 

Your asking a lot, getting a reply from Howard. 

#whereyoucant #whereyoucsnsweepthingsunderthecarpet

in conclusion, it’s another failed Government initiative, which be confined to the dustbin, alongside ‘Freedom to Flourish’ and ‘Locate.im’. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Your asking a lot, getting a reply from Howard. 

#whereyoucant #whereyoucsnsweepthingsunderthecarpet

in conclusion, it’s another failed Government initiative, which be confined to the dustbin, alongside ‘Freedom to Flourish’ and ‘Locate.im’. 

#whereyoucanspendlotsoftaxpayersmoneyandhopetheydontnotice 

Archived