Memories Of Port Soderick

manxy

anybody know what the new pipeline coming ashore here will contain?

?? what new pipeline??

These are all pics showing the southern walkway it went quite some distance round the base of the cliffs I think the Dragon Rock was the southern most point.

Dragon rock is the Douglas side of port Soderick ...the lion rock is southern end but I thought there used to be a cafe/restaurant there but never seen any steelwork to show its position ...Fantastic pics btw Keristal

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have many happy memories of Port Soderick and I loved the paddling pool

Funnily so did I and Now i know who owns it I intend to ask the landowner if i can take a small digger on the beach and clean out the pool and refill it with water once i locate the feeder and drain ...I would love to see the pool used again

Fantastic idea and I love the thought of taking the kids down there to use that. They would absolutely love it.

Problem presumably would be from preventing idiots leaving glass in it etc I imagine.

Love all these photos, especially the ones showing the southern walkway as I'd always wondered how far it went and am surprised from what I've seen on these. This 'yesteryear' stuff always fascinates me and seems a bit mysterious since it's all gone sadly. Thanks for all the photos Keristal.

Fantastic idea and I love the thought of taking the kids down there to use that. They would absolutely love it.

Problem presumably would be from preventing idiots leaving glass in it etc I imagine.

Love all these photos, especially the ones showing the southern walkway as I'd always wondered how far it went and am surprised from what I've seen on these. This 'yesteryear' stuff always fascinates me and seems a bit mysterious since it's all gone sadly. Thanks for all the photos Keristal.

Agree , love this thread , many thanks for the photos Keristal.

I too have many happy memories of Port Soderick and I loved the paddling pool

Funnily so did I and Now i know who owns it I intend to ask the landowner if i can take a small digger on the beach and clean out the pool and refill it with water once i locate the feeder and drain ...I would love to see the pool used again

Mr Manxy would be happy to help. Just name the day and time and he said he'd be there.

Probably just trying to escape from my 5 minute jobs!.... typical, but on this occasion, I don't mind.

zpsodrk2.jpg

who will pay the insurance for the pool?

Perhaps you could tell us who should and why . If the pool is , as I suspect, below the high watermark ; would 'Rylands v Fletcher' apply?

Some folk always seem to be looking for any excuse to do nothing and deter others from doing anything and are ,as a result , "life's failures".

Thank you for all the thanks, they are appreciated. I'm sure the paddling poll was above high water mark apart from the highest of spring tides, as it was fresh water fed by the Crogga stream. As for the 'improvements' to the main buildings they were done by Douglas Corporation in the very early 1960s after they acquired it from private owners, they wanted to make it up to date to attract modern visitors so wanted it to look and feel continental, not really helped by having seasonal staff with thick Scouse or Irish accents, there is some promotional film of 'Continental Port Soderick' on one of Terry Cringle's happy Holidays film compilations.

I think the paddling pool has been filled with beach stones over the years by nature, stormy spring tides shifting the stones up the beach, when I visited Keristal a few years back to find the 'Shrimping Pool' we used to go to when I was little it had been almost filled in with loose stones too. Another thing about the paddling pool which I think was mentioned on here some years ago is that it was meant to be roughly the shape of the IOM, if you look at it with slightly screwed up eyes and rose tinted glasses you can just about see it.

post-681-0-05974700-1378023629_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-99803800-1378023709_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-00671100-1378023737_thumb.jpg

Afraid not, I've only seen two interior pics of the large ding room at the northern end of the Hotel/Cafe buildings nearest to the cliff lift they were on ebay and I pulled out when they reached £30, can't remember what they ended up going for

who will pay the insurance for the pool?

Perhaps you could tell us who should and why . If the pool is , as I suspect, below the high watermark ; would 'Rylands v Fletcher' apply?

Some folk always seem to be looking for any excuse to do nothing and deter others from doing anything and are ,as a result , "life's failures".

Understand your point re inertia, but there is an issue about liability to maintain the pool in safe condition in these litigious times (not a Rylands v Fletcher issue which is to do with escape).

Damn shame, but you either have to do it 100% and keep it maintained and free from algae etc. or leave well enough alone. The landowner may well say no.

Great pics Keristal. Thanks again.

Archived