Memories Of Port Soderick

manxy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it down there, keep saying it would be brilliant as a house if I won the lottery, beautiful on a good day and amazing on a stormy one! Random average Joe or doggers could fuck off though, all mine smile.png

Why not just watch the doggers?

Perv....

I remember meeting an old couple down there a couple of years ago. They were celebrating a significant wedding aniversary and had spent their honeymoon on the island. One special place they remembered was Port Soderick... They didn't expect everything to be the same as it was then, but just couldn't understand why such a lovely spot had been allowed to fall into such a state.

I remember meeting an old couple down there a couple of years ago. They were celebrating a significant wedding aniversary and had spent their honeymoon on the island. One special place they remembered was Port Soderick... They didn't expect everything to be the same as it was then, but just couldn't understand why such a lovely spot had been allowed to fall into such a state.

Is it a lovely spot? Or do we just reminisce about how nice it was?

We were down there last week and its just a stones beach covered in seaweed. There are many much nicer places on the island.

It's a shame it's in the state it in now, but talk when it was sunny and the tide was out last week I wouldn't have wanted to be outside trying to eat and getting the stink of seaweed and covered in flies.

If it hadn't been just outside Douglas and on the railway route it would just be one of the many other coves we have overs here

We were down there last week and its just a stones beach covered in seaweed. There are many much nicer places on the island.

It's a shame it's in the state it in now, but talk when it was sunny and the tide was out last week I wouldn't have wanted to be outside trying to eat and getting the stink of seaweed and covered in flies.

If it hadn't been just outside Douglas and on the railway route it would just be one of the many other coves we have overs here

A seaweed farm might be appropriate then?

It's quite a rocky place and there's been no improvement that I know of, but it used to be a nice spot tp walk around the sides and although you can still walk up three ways to get to the main road, I'd have liked to have seen the 'lifts' or whatever you call them and then to take the tram along marine drive to the radio station/ the head.

So many changes and none for the better.

A seaweed farm might be appropriate then?

It's quite a rocky place and there's been no improvement that I know of, but it used to be a nice spot tp walk around the sides and although you can still walk up three ways to get to the main road, I'd have liked to have seen the 'lifts' or whatever you call them and then to take the tram along marine drive to the radio station/ the head.

So many changes and none for the better.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

Port Soderick is a lovely place, probably because it is somewhat neglected now. Nice glen, nice beach with the rocks and jetty. No, it isn't what it used to be in terms of facilities. But I love the place more now than I did when I was a child. I love it for what it is, not what has been built there. The glen is a great microcosm of nature with its character changing with each season from primroses, bluebells, marsh marigolds to ferns and bracken then the fungi. In between there are the animals - herons, seals, brown trout, ducks, chiff chaffs and not so many gulls. Lord knows what is in the water when you amble down the jetty.

I used to think how sad it was, but now I think it is one of those little corners which has, thankfully, been left alone.

Archived