The Future Of Core Air Links To The Island

madmanxpilot

Blade Runner, don't you remember Gate 8 ? Doors slammed shut in front of you as you arrived so that departing passengers could be separated, and don't forget the tea trolley in departures...... those were the days !!!!

I remember the pay as you go black and white T.V's upstairs - very sixties style! I reckon they'd be worth a few quid now - wonder if they simply threw them out?

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to say that, as a business owner flying 90 times a year, I agree strongly with this thread's criticism of IOMG, and by extension of Anne Reynolds. It's an appalling state of affairs when Guernsey and Jersey have both sorted themselves out and we're left dangling. I'd encourage the Chief Minister to grab the bull by the horns and ensure (by whatever means) that we get a solution - for what is currently on offer from April is simply not good enough and will damage the Island's business community. If we can blow (or invest, depending on your view) millions on a useless stake in a film company and in propping up the Sefton, what's stopping us from spending a few bob more properly to sort out essential travel links. Time to shake down Mr Teare, I think.

To be fair to the government, we don't know what negotiations are going on at the present time. I am sure we will be the last to know of course, but I guess that's the nature of business.

It doesn't help future planning and business confidence to keep people dangling however, and we do need some sort of confirmation that things are in hand at the earliest convenience!

We had a confirmation from the airport director that there would be a twice daily service via London City and a two a day on certain days to Gatwick via EasyJet. Also, that Scotland was coming back.

I think that's where the negotiations are up to, no one seems to have properly loaded their Summer schedules for next year though yet.

We had a confirmation from the airport director that there would be a twice daily service via London City and a two a day on certain days to Gatwick via EasyJet. Also, that Scotland was coming back.

I think that's where the negotiations are up to, no one seems to have properly loaded their Summer schedules for next year though yet.

I think the point people are making is why has it got to this stage, where we are scrabbling round for crumbs of positivity with regards our vital transport links. They should be sacred, never in doubt, in charge of our own destiny like our competitors. A fundamental requisite for an island trying to forge a reputation as an international business centre.

Oh yes, I'm not disputing that, I totally agree with you, I'm just pointing out that we aren't going to be left with no day return options, unlike Newquay for example.

There is a good train though, price roughly same as flying to LCY from the island. You can be almost anywhere in London by 11am.

I looked at flying to Newquay recently - horribly expensive with FlyBe.

Oh yes, I'm not disputing that, I totally agree with you, I'm just pointing out that we aren't going to be left with no day return options, unlike Newquay for example.

We aren't? As it stands at this moment we are.

Well, if BA Cityflyer could not get suffiecient yield using a 50 seat turnoprop then is is fairly unlikely that they will succeed with a twice daily using a much larger aircraft (76 or 98 seats) without a lot of subsidy for doing so. EZY will probably do a twice daily but not at times to really suit the Island, but late morning and early afternoon.

If money is/was needed to maintain the Island air links then it would best spent on the airline that is willing to base its aircraft and crews here so we at least get a bit of the subsidy back in tax and spend from the crews, rather like we used to have with Manx, BACitiexpress and currently Flybe.

Whilst you have all concentrated on the London links it is possible that the new CEO of Flybe in his review, due November, will decide that the Island routes are not part of the core business or lack critical mass and then we will be in the same position with regard to Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester.

Not all of this current situation is the big girl and her political masters fault of course

Well, if BA Cityflyer could not get suffiecient yield using a 50 seat turnoprop then is is fairly unlikely that they will succeed with a twice daily using a much larger aircraft (76 or 98 seats) without a lot of subsidy for doing so. EZY will probably do a twice daily but not at times to really suit the Island, but late morning and early afternoon.

If money is/was needed to maintain the Island air links then it would best spent on the airline that is willing to base its aircraft and crews here so we at least get a bit of the subsidy back in tax and spend from the crews, rather like we used to have with Manx, BACitiexpress and currently Flybe.

Whilst you have all concentrated on the London links it is possible that the new CEO of Flybe in his review, due November, will decide that the Island routes are not part of the core business or lack critical mass and then we will be in the same position with regard to Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester.

Not all of this current situation is the big girl and her political masters fault of course

We could, of course, have looked into the viability of operating our own airline to do away with being held hostage to market forces. Considering how much money it cost the Channel Islands to secure Aurigny and how much we have blown over the years on what can best be described as 'shite', was it ever a viable option?

Would you trust our CS and politicians to run it frugally though, look at the buses, airport, Manx Radio etc etc.

Any system guaranteeing flights would by its very nature be more expensive.

Archived