The Future Of Core Air Links To The Island

madmanxpilot

I know this has been debated on the 'passenger numbers' thread, but, it warrants a thread of its own.

We have still no confirmation of anything more than one Gatwick flight per day from Easyjet when Flybe withdraw from that route next April. This despite Mr Cretney's and Ms Reynolds' optimism and assurances that they would deliver a schedule that would suit the needs of the Isle of Man.

Still no word from BA Cityfler of anything more than a single mid day rotation too, although they are maybe waiting for Easyjet to move.

The longer this is left, the more unlikely anything is to materialise - aircraft will be assigned to other routes and schedules confirmed. Also, slot allocations at Gatwick and other co-ordinated airports will be finalised at the November Slot Conference which is being held in Dallas.

As it stands, from next April, two flights a day from the Isle of Man to London.

The clock is ticking.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has been debated on the 'passenger numbers' thread, but, it warrants a thread of its own.

We have still no confirmation of anything more than one Gatwick flight per day from Easyjet when Flybe withdraw from that route next April. This despite Mr Cretney's and Ms Reynolds' optimism and assurances that they would deliver a schedule that would suit the needs of the Isle of Man.

Still no word from BA Cityfler of anything more than a single mid day rotation too, although they are maybe waiting for Easyjet to move.

The longer this is left, the more unlikely anything is to materialise - aircraft will be assigned to other routes and schedules confirmed. Also, slot allocations at Gatwick and other co-ordinated airports will be finalised at the November Slot Conference which is being held in Dallas.

As it stands, from next April, two flights a day from the Isle of Man to London.

The clock is ticking.

Its a joke. I know of at least 2 businesses looking to relocate their sales offices off Island because of this, and heard rumours of a few potential redundancies around this.

If staff or clients can't shoot in and out of London easily there is only one decision to make. That is employ people who can somewhere else - especially if Jersey still has Aurigny, BA and Blue Islands daily flights into and out of LGW and LCY.

I don't think IOMG gives a crap though. Will it affect Cretneys job? Reynolds job, or any other CS job? The answer is No, so nothing is likely to happen.

I must admit I find it strange that assurances can be given by people in government about air links to the island - unless they are offering airlines a hefty subsidy. Why would any airline operate an uneconomical route unless it feeds into a more lucrative connection elsewhere. How many times have we had new routes opened only for them to disappear within a short time because there simply isn't enough demand (or they are too expensive) to make a go of it? Stand-by for more of the same...

Its a joke. I know of at least 2 businesses looking to relocate their sales offices off Island because of this, and heard rumours of a few potential redundancies around this.

If staff or clients can't shoot in and out of London easily there is only one decision to make. That is employ people who can somewhere else - especially if Jersey still has Aurigny, BA and Blue Islands daily flights into and out of LGW and LCY.

I don't think IOMG gives a crap though. Will it affect Cretneys job? Reynolds job, or any other CS job? The answer is No, so nothing is likely to happen.

How many of our decision makers do you think even understand and appreciate the impact of this? How many of them have worked in a business or industry where people regularly need to travel to and from London.

My own role some years ago involved spending every Thursday for two years in a London office flying out first thing and back that evening. My position wouldn't have been viable without those flights and the same applies to lots of jobs here.

Not sure what they can do about it though? Having allowed multiple airlines in there is no incentive for any of them to run the routes and be able to make a decent return as other airlines just cherry pick the best routes.

TBH I think we have engineered ourselves into a position where the only sensible use of money now in regards to the airport may well have to be to support an operator or operators to maintain the vital routes the business economy depends on !

We needed to be thinking commercially some years ago instead we were only thinking of splashing the cash !

TBH I think we have engineered ourselves into a position where the only sensible use of money now in regards to the airport may well have to be to support an operator or operators to maintain the vital routes the business economy depends on !

We needed to be thinking commercially some years ago instead we were only thinking of splashing the cash !

Agreed. Can you imagine the uproar from all the idiots thinking you were using public money to help a rip off business make fortunes though. I'm including politicians in that as well as the public.

Agreed. Can you imagine the uproar from all the idiots thinking you were using public money to help a rip off business make fortunes though. I'm including politicians in that as well as the public.

It was mentioned to me that offering a subsidy would of course save political face too.

Guernsey seem to have all the bases (excuse the pun) covered. Maybe that is something the IOM Government should be considering emulating. The Open Skies Committee, if you read the Hansard, hadn't even taken the time to research what goes on there. They were of the understanding that Aurigny only flew between Jersey and Guernsey. Because they, the Guernsey Government, have positive control over their Aviation Policy, and their own Airline (which helps) they have been able to put extra flights on to fill the void left by Flybe.

The BBC Cornwall article is so relevant to our situation.

"Unfortunately, after much consideration, all of the evidence clearly shows that there is insufficient demand to sustain a service using an A319 aircraft with 156 seats"

QED

Well the politicians since 2006 have clearly had no understanding whatsoever of how a business is run to safeguard its core, the airport commercially is a disaster but they were too dim to listen to an argument which told them exactly what would happen with lo cost carriers and open skies ! I only hope they understand how important the finance sector still is to our economy and how easily business will go elsewhere if we lose convenient air links to other business centres ! I don't know how much we pay people who basically couldn't run a bath !!

I need day returns to London at the drop of a hat if a client demands it. Now I'll have to do a last minute late flight and overnight stay which is a joke when you're a small business and every penny counts. To say nothing of blurring the lines of your tax liability with numerous days spent past midnight in the UK.

I need day returns to London at the drop of a hat if a client demands it. Now I'll have to do a last minute late flight and overnight stay which is a joke when you're a small business and every penny counts. To say nothing of blurring the lines of your tax liability with numerous days spent past midnight in the UK.

The tax side alone will put some snr staff off. Two nights not airside just to have a 4 hour meeting in London is really going to eat into the 90 days for some non Manxies. Make yourself accidentally UK tax resident and bugger a whole structure up!

Regarding liability to UK income tax, yes, the rules have changed, but the number of midnights you spend in the UK is still the largest factor for determining your liability for UK tax.

Regarding Manx Airlines, in March 2001 British Airways purchased the British Regional Airlines Group (holding company of British Regional Airlines and Manx Airlines) for £78m. The airline was merged with Brymon Airways to create British Airways CitiExpress and latterly BA Connect.

Manx Airlines ceased operations on 31 August 2002.

Archived