The Future Of Core Air Links To The Island

madmanxpilot

What a f*ckin tool you are. I'm not from here and own a company on the island which does 100% of it's business off the rock etc etc etc

laugh.png

Unfortunately (and don't include me in this myopic view) you are seen by some an example of all that is wrong with the island. Summat like just here for tax, putting our house prices up and filling the roads with your 4x4s and all the other similar stuff that's often quoted as being the root of our problems. I agree with you, we need more companies like you not less. Without a good service to London, that is considerably less likely and down the spiral dive we go.

Now waits for someone to say if only "they" would all go home, we won't need a London service anyway.

PS What's wrong with Stansted? It's not my favourite airport but not as bad as Gatwick.

I hear it all the time. It's quite sad really and doesn't really do the manx any favours but you get bitter apples in every batch.

I agree, Stansted doesn't get a mention when we are looking at potential avenues for day returns. Granted it's not ideal but it's only 15 mins further out than Gatwick and if it gets us a day return then it'll have to do, IF someone takes it on.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lxxx

Good for you and your like! Keep up the good work.

One thing, you mention blurring lines by staying past midnight. Please note that this is not a test for UK residency - if you are unsure I suggest you consult your accountant/tax lawyer. The test for UK residency is now both simpler and more complicated. Essentially it is in the eye of the beholder - if you seem to be UK resident then you are unless you can very solidly prove to the contrary.

I am sure you all this sown up. Keep generating money for the likes of TJ - he needs it!

Lxxx

Good for you and your like! Keep up the good work.

One thing, you mention blurring lines by staying past midnight. Please note that this is not a test for UK residency - if you are unsure I suggest you consult your accountant/tax lawyer. The test for UK residency is now both simpler and more complicated. Essentially it is in the eye of the beholder - if you seem to be UK resident then you are unless you can very solidly prove to the contrary.

I am sure you all this sown up. Keep generating money for the likes of TJ - he needs it!

Thanks NoTail.

Yes I've read through the new riveting HMRC document from August this year and even though the midnight days are no longer as cut and dried, the less days needed to be spent in the UK the better.

Lxxx

Are you sure - have a look at Finance Act 2013 Sch 45. Rules are a bit deep but pretty prescriptive and not based on anyone's subjective assessment.

Days are still important but its certainly no longer a "90 day rule" which I also doubt ever really existed.

Claudie - thanks for the correction - you are right - I was wanting to just highlight the mistaken "I am ok - spend less than 90 days" line which, as you know is long gone/never actually existed. I do still hear this spouted a lot though.

actually we do trmpton. The advent of video conferencing etc has seen a fall in the business travel market. To keep the business flights going the airlines rely on leisure travellers to fill the spare seats and leisurewise, 80quid fares are hard to resist. I paid 78 for a manx airlines Liverpool flight in 1993 which shows how the margins have been squeezed in the last 20 years.

Perhaps IOM should throw it's hat into the ring with Guernsey (Aurigny) and operate concurrent services from both ends into Gatwick and other regional airports utilising the Aurigny ATR's:

Stay on the aircraft if you're going to the final destination or get off if you need to terminate in London or some other regional airport. IOM could share the airport slot costs.

actually we do trmpton. The advent of video conferencing etc has seen a fall in the business travel market. To keep the business flights going the airlines rely on leisure travellers to fill the spare seats and leisurewise, 80quid fares are hard to resist. I paid 78 for a manx airlines Liverpool flight in 1993 which shows how the margins have been squeezed in the last 20 years.

Yep. And that was in the days before departure taxes.

Archived