14 North

Lxxx

Booked to go at weekend for the first time. Anyone been? Recommended or not?

It's really nice food to a good standard, usually with something seasonal on special, but have a sandwich ready for when you get home as the portions are sometimes a little light, in my experience.

Some tables are better than others position wise, a couple of them are so close together that you feel like you should join in the conversation with the next table.

Pros outweigh the cons though. 7/10

Portions are not that small - I suppose it depends if you like to feel stuffed after 2 courses, or just pleasantly sated after 3.

I like 14 North - been a few times, including twice this year. Always good service, varied menu with specials, and well prepared food.

Haven't been to the Abbey in a few years after I decided to boycott them on account of poor service and a Fawlty Towers type attitude from one of them. Food there was always good though.

We have been to 14 North a few times, always enjoyable. Run by very friendly young staff. It can, as others have said, be a bit pricey. I paid about £8 for a starter that was basically a sliced beetroot. Very well sliced, though.

Try it, Lxxx. I'll be interested to read your report. I have noticed we share somewhat similar tastes.

We've been to 14 North three or four times now and have enjoyed every visit. Apart from a visit to La Piazza with the wider family, it's one of the few places worth the money to go and eat in Douglas. The service is excellent and like a good umpire in a game of cricket, they're unobtrusive.

Book a table downstairs.

I've only been there once and I think it was within the first 6 months of opening.

Myself and my wife were shown to a table upstairs that was basically a small round table from a pub with two tall bar stools.

I can't remember what the food was like as I was in pain the whole time from my feet dangling off the seat with no support.

I believe they've since got rid of these tables and chairs.

Archived