Tyre, Wheel and Suspension Damaged By Potholes

Fossils

I was told recently by someone in the "garage business" that a leading manufacturer's statistics shows that the frequency of damage to vehicles, directly attributable to potholes and poor road surfaces, is much higher on the Island than in the UK.

This came as no surprise to me, but the following article may prove useful to someone out there.

Click

I'm afraid you wouldn't get anywhere with a claim as there appears to be no legal responsibility for the highways authority to maintain the roads. I'm sure that statistically there is more wear and tear on vehicle suspension on the island than the UK average, based upon the quantity and frequency of replacement suspension parts sold at least by garages where this information is available to me. Get used to having second rate roads - this situation will continue indefinitely.

That's is not what the Act says at all. Yes there is a duty ( legal responsibility) to maintain, but there is a specific exemption from civil liability for failure to maintain. Make roads badly, design them badly or effect repairs badly and they are on the hook

A manhole six inches lower than the road surface - that sounds more like a sinkhole lol - you must take a picture of this epic feat of road resurfacing and post it up on here.

You'd only hit it the once though surely, I mean every time after that you'd anticipate it and go around it or slow/stop until the oncoming traffic had passed and you were able to go around it?

A manhole six inches lower than the road surface - that sounds more like a sinkhole lol - you must take a picture of this epic feat of road resurfacing and post it up on here.

You'd only hit it the once though surely, I mean every time after that you'd anticipate it and go around it or slow/stop until the oncoming traffic had passed and you were able to go around it?

It's quite a busy section of road that it's in, difficult to do that. I do crawl over it now though. I'll try to get a picture this weekend.

• 7 months later...

I actually asked someone from the Highways about manhole covers being either above or below the road level - the reply was that when above they have allowed for the manhole to subside, when below they have allowed for the road to subside. I suggested that he was joking and he became quite angry and insisted that it was policy!

I have just returned from a weekend in the UK on my motorbike and until I got off the boat on my way home I had forgotten just how bad the roads here on the Island actually are.

In England I was riding Motorways, A roads, B roads and unmarked roads - without exception they were better condition. Manhole covers were level with the road and in most cases the gaps between the raised bits on the covers had tarmac in.

Sadly the condition of the roads has been allowed to deteriorate to the point where it will cost far too much to repair. Maybe if a couple of MHKs went without their expenses for a year we could afford to do it!

I ended up selling my car which had low profile tyres after about a year of being back on the island. Driving some roads at night was mental and felt like it was doing damage to the suspension. This is presumably the reason why you see so many SUV style vehicles over here.

I actually asked someone from the Highways about manhole covers being either above or below the road level - the reply was that when above they have allowed for the manhole to subside, when below they have allowed for the road to subside. I suggested that he was joking and he became quite angry and insisted that it was policy!

I have just returned from a weekend in the UK on my motorbike and until I got off the boat on my way home I had forgotten just how bad the roads here on the Island actually are.

In England I was riding Motorways, A roads, B roads and unmarked roads - without exception they were better condition. Manhole covers were level with the road and in most cases the gaps between the raised bits on the covers had tarmac in.

Sadly the condition of the roads has been allowed to deteriorate to the point where it will cost far too much to repair. Maybe if a couple of MHKs went without their expenses for a year we could afford to do it!

For a bit of balance I drive in the UK frequently. There are lots of really good road surfaces. Some of the best are in Northern Scotland. However, there are also some dire ones on very busy roads, worse than anything I've seen here.

For a bit of balance I drive in the UK frequently. There are lots of really good road surfaces. Some of the best are in Northern Scotland. However, there are also some dire ones on very busy roads, worse than anything I've seen here.

I'll add to that - Some of the roads around the lake district, some of which are main routes are fecking lethal with potholes, lumpy tarmac, peeled off "surface dressing", shiny tar etc.

Several years ago I had the pleasure (?) of driving from Dublin to Galway. I was glad I took out the extra insurance on the hire car - I'm surprised the suspension wasn't hanging off the car when I returned it there are so many potholes, and that includes the motorway which felt like driving over a ploughed field in places.

Archived