New position: Director of Tourism and the Visitor Economy

JFK

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They already have a marketing manager.

So we have a marketing manager who will now have a marketing director and a head of tourism answering to a director of tourism.

It is fucking senseless

OK I've seen the job description. It's fine. We really do need this person who can do these things, there's no doubt about that. So do these folk who are already there have none of these vital skills? Maybe that's why we have very few tourists. I say get the new person in, put him or her in charge and his first job is to get rid of the deadwood.

They already have a marketing manager.

So we have a marketing manager who will now have a marketing director and a head of tourism answering to a director of tourism.

It is fucking senseless

OK I've seen the job description. It's fine. We really do need this person who can do these things, there's no doubt about that. So do these folk who are already there have none of these vital skills? Maybe that's why we have very few tourists. I say get the new person in, put him or her in charge and his first job is to get rid of the deadwood.

But this appears to be the issue with government.

They employ someone to do something, and they don't achieve the goals wanted. In the private sector, they would be replaced. In the public sector it appears they are retained and a new position created to try and deliver the results, so we end up with loads and loads of people all supposedly doing the same job.

For what its worth, I don't aim any criticism at the current incumbents, and don't believe they should be replaced at all. They should be given the resources and freedom they need to deliver results, rather than having resources diverted away to pay for another manager to slow any attempt at progress down.

Personally I'd like to see the present team moved to an independent tourism promotion/development body similar to that in the Isle of Wight and those mooted in Guernsey & Jersey, financed as an independent agency à la Manx Radio

Government has little understanding of (& place in) tourism marketing in the new digital era

There's a bit more to it than that old young fellar

Yeah you need to get some old bastard to spam the arse out of twitter and dribble meaningless cliches like this dude https://twitter.com/WebPresenceIOM

LOL. Is that really what he does for a job?

Liked this bit: One person unfollowed me w00t.gif . I wish a lot more who follow us with their hands out would do likewise.

one person unfollowed me // automatically checked by http://fllwrs.com

I'm clearly a dinosaur with this stuff. I must admit to being gobsmacked when I discovered that Derek Flint plays around on Facebook as part of his police job rather than in his lunch break to be helpful as I had previously imagined. Ah well. Gotta be down with the kids I suppose.

Whenever anything related to tourism gets a mention here, we get the usual suspects wanting to see the government do something to increase tourist numbers.

May I ask why?

Once upon a time the Island was very dependent upon tourists, but times have changed. Even if we attracted them to the island, what is there left for them to do? Where would they stay? The island is no longer geared up to deal with a large influx of visitors, as the TT demonstrates each year.

The 'good old days' have been and gone. Surely it is time to move on, and come up with some more imaginative ways of keeping the Manx economy afloat.

Whenever anything related to tourism gets a mention here, we get the usual suspects wanting to see the government do something to increase tourist numbers.

May I ask why?

Once upon a time the Island was very dependent upon tourists, but times have changed. Even if we attracted them to the island, what is there left for them to do? Where would they stay? The island is no longer geared up to deal with a large influx of visitors, as the TT demonstrates each year.

The 'good old days' have been and gone. Surely it is time to move on, and come up with some more imaginative ways of keeping the Manx economy afloat.

such as?

Archived