Israel vs. the rest of the world?

spook

Judging by the increase in anti-semitism in the world and surprisingly at least to me in Europe it is very clear that there should be a Jewish state. As I understand it being a Jewish person is to be both a follower of a religion that is the precursor to Christianity and also to be a member of a race.

For a race to not have a homeland to my mind is appalling but also very dangerous for people of that race and history would seem to support that view.

In my opinion, and I am ready to be corrected because this is an area that is new to me, the situation where both race and religion combine is unique to Jewish people.

Again from a position of uncertainty although Jewish people will and do fully integrated with any country that they live in, usually as full blown bona fide citizens of those countries, in those same countries the accepting Jewish people is by no means reciprocated hence yet another reason that to have a homeland is so important if they need somewhere to go home to when they get told "Hey Jew - go home" and far far worse, especially recently.

Am I right? What do you think.

SMUJ, it would cease to be a Jewish state due to the demographics.

What's wrong with that?

Everything. It would end up as yet another Arab state. We already have at least 21 of them. In all this big world, and in all the big middle east, is there not room for just one little country for Jews?

You could fit all the Jews in Israel in South Dakota, for instance. Problem solved.

Judging by the increase in anti-semitism in the world and surprisingly at least to me in Europe it is very clear that there should be a Jewish state. As I understand it being a Jewish person is to be both a follower of a religion that is the precursor to Christianity and also to be a member of a race.

For a race to not have a homeland to my mind is appalling but also very dangerous for people of that race and history would seem to support that view.

In my opinion, and I am ready to be corrected because this is an area that is new to me, the situation where both race and religion combine is unique to Jewish people..

Enlighten me how being 'Jewish' can be classed as a 'race.' Where's the genetic common ancestry? Judaism is a belief system, same as Christianity. It's a religion.

In my opinion, and I am ready to be corrected because this is an area that is new to me, the situation where both race and religion combine is unique to Jewish people..

Enlighten me how being 'Jewish' can be classed as a 'race.' Where's the genetic common ancestry? Judaism is a belief system, same as Christianity. It's a religion.

You're right, it isn't a race; it's a people / nation [1]/ commonwealth, with a singular religion (Judaism), although it is primarily a semitic nation.

[1] In the tribal sense, not in the modern nation-state sense. It is a commonwealth of twelve tribes which together constitute the people of Israel.

You're right, it isn't a race; it's a people / nation [1]/ commonwealth, with a singular religion (Judaism), although it is primarily a semitic nation. [1] In the tribal sense, not in the modern nation-state sense. It is a commonwealth of twelve tribes which together constitute the people of Israel.

Allegedly.

You're right, it isn't a race; it's a people / nation [1]/ commonwealth, with a singular religion (Judaism), although it is primarily a semitic nation. [1] In the tribal sense, not in the modern nation-state sense. It is a commonwealth of twelve tribes which together constitute the people of Israel.

Allegedly.

What is alleged?

Allegedly.
What is alleged?

The twelve tribes is a biblical tradition is it not? Forgive me, but I take a very pragmatic view of all forms of mind control derived from suspect ancient scriptures. Of all religions.

We're all races now...it's based on country now according to the U.N...sod all to do with actual race.

That in and of itself sounds racist against people like the Kurds and the Basques who are deprived of their national self-determination and kept within the borders of other peoples' countries.

Precisely.

The twelve tribes is a biblical tradition is it not? Forgive me, but I take a very pragmatic view of all forms of mind control derived from suspect ancient scriptures. Of all religions.

That's true. The twelve tribes is a biblical tradition. However, outside of the Bible, it is generally held that the early Israelites were a confederation of various migratory tribes from the vicinity. Even based on the biblical accounts, the Israelites who left Egypt were clearly not just the descendants of the Israelites who had originally entered it. Also, the Israelites who did, according to the Bible, leave Egypt were accompanied by a sizeable number of Egyptians who converted to their religion and were amalgamated into the tribes during the course of their history. Also, during the Roman period, the Pharisees were active proselytisers who sought converts to Judaism, who were then accepted into the tribe, basically being adopted into the tribe of Judah, and then they intermarried with the existing Israelites. And then when the Romans began persecuting Jews, it stopped, and when Christianity became the official religion of the Empire it became illegal. But, that being said, the semitic Israelites would have married the converts and so after two millenia they will all have semitic ancestry.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson
  • Like 1