Barry Curran Motors

Isle Of Man LIVE

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BCM must have spent an absolute fortune on advertising. Don't know whether they reduced that at all recently, although I did notice that they'd sacked Stu from the "Gone in 60 seconds" thing. It amazes me how some companies hit the buffers while still doing loads of expensive marketing. Maybe they think reducing advertising will make things worse. I doubt that from my experience having reduced frightening expenditure on advertising in recent years. Should have done it ten years earlier. Probably a good 6 figure sum wasted...................ermm.gif

It amazes me how some companies hit the buffers while still doing loads of expensive marketing. Maybe they think reducing advertising will make things worse.

In many cases they're already balls deep in a big advertising contract which costs as much to terminate as it does to continue.

BCM must have spent an absolute fortune on advertising. Don't know whether they reduced that at all recently, although I did notice that they'd sacked Stu from the "Gone in 60 seconds" thing. It amazes me how some companies hit the buffers while still doing loads of expensive marketing. Maybe they think reducing advertising will make things worse. I doubt that from my experience having reduced frightening expenditure on advertising in recent years. Should have done it ten years earlier. Probably a good 6 figure sum wasted...................ermm.gif

You've been spending in the region of £10,000 a year on advertising and it took you a decade to realise you didn't need it?

Don't think I'll be taking your advice on running a business.

You've been spending in the region of £10,000 a year on advertising and it took you a decade to realise you didn't need it?

Don't think I'll be taking your advice on running a business.

Suit yourself. Spending was a lot more than £10k a year, nearer to that a month. Have you seen the cost of marketing lately? My business is successful and the advertising built up concurrently with the sales over about 10 years. £10k per year, or even treble that, is still a small part of the total budget so it is quite difficult to know which parts of your marketing are working for you and which aren't. When the more difficult times began to hit, we just started to cut out what we believed were the more archaic and less effective aspects of our campaigns. We did it over about 2 years and it did not hurt us that much. So we cut a bit more. It is only with the benefit of hindsight that you look back and think you might have saved about quarter of a million there had you done the same thing earlier. No point in crying over spilt milk. We did OK looking at the whole picture. Nobody in business gets everything totally right 100% of the time, or they are lying.

Car dealership to be wound up.

"One of the islands best known car dealerships is going into voluntary liquidation. A meeting of creditors of Barry Curran Motors will take place at noon on Wednesday (August 27) at Burleigh Manor on Peel Road, Douglas. The voluntary winding up the company was announced to shocked staff on Wednesday. Having relocated from Ramsey in 2007, Barry Curran Motors had a showroom on Demense Road, Douglas, before the Hyundai dealership moved to its car superstore on Isle of Man Business Park, off Cooil Road, Braddan."

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/car-dealership-to-be-wound-up-1-6798363

Sacked? How VERY dare you?

I said at Xmas that I wanted to retire gracefully, but continued until they came up with a different format for the 'Gone' spots a couple of months ago.

Admirable

We rarely see voluntary liquidations for larger businesses. Usually the insolvent business will bury its head in the sand and do anything it can to keep going - including in many cases touching on the illegal. Eventually a creditors forced liquidation will be called, invariably much worse all round and of course much less return for the creditors.

It takes courage to stand up and say to the wold "this is not working", I am going to shut down.

I personally wish BC (never met him) the best, and I hope that he comes out with a good future.

Sacked? How VERY dare you?

I said at Xmas that I wanted to retire gracefully, but continued until they came up with a different format for the 'Gone' spots a couple of months ago.

Sorry, Stu. Maybe that was the source of all their troubles. "Gone" now alright.

... it is quite difficult to know which parts of your marketing are working for you and which aren't. When the more difficult times began to hit, we just started to cut out what we believed were the more archaic and less effective aspects of our campaigns. We did it over about 2 years and it did not hurt us that much. So we cut a bit more. It is only with the benefit of hindsight that you look back and think you might have saved about quarter of a million there had you done the same thing earlier....

I have lost count of the number of FDs who have said to me "I don't like marketing, I know 20% of the expenditure is worth it but I don't know which 20%". Reality is that there are ways of knowing to a high degree of confidence, but you need to take a systematic approach to tracking it through marketing, pre-sales, sales etc. When you do know it's quite empowering, in the last business I could tell you the achieved ROI and projected ROI of any marketing campaign at the push of a button, but it wasn't easy getting to that capability, people are reluctant to capture the necessary data because they don't see the point.

... it is quite difficult to know which parts of your marketing are working for you and which aren't. When the more difficult times began to hit, we just started to cut out what we believed were the more archaic and less effective aspects of our campaigns. We did it over about 2 years and it did not hurt us that much. So we cut a bit more. It is only with the benefit of hindsight that you look back and think you might have saved about quarter of a million there had you done the same thing earlier....

I have lost count of the number of FDs who have said to me "I don't like marketing, I know 20% of the expenditure is worth it but I don't know which 20%". Reality is that there are ways of knowing to a high degree of confidence, but you need to take a systematic approach to tracking it through marketing, pre-sales, sales etc. When you do know it's quite empowering, in the last business I could tell you the achieved ROI and projected ROI of any marketing campaign at the push of a button, but it wasn't easy getting to that capability, people are reluctant to capture the necessary data because they don't see the point.

On top of which if things are going well and growing there is a natural momentum to keep doing things the same way in the belief that things will keep growing. And because they did, there was no reason to worry about it until the downturn when we took action. I am philosophical about it now. As I said, we do OK.

I think you'd find that the UK dealer would be in trouble with Hyundai if this was found to be the case. Manufacturers are very particular about having factory trained people dealing with you in all areas due to product liability legislation.

I'm not saying that KM Motors don't know what they are doing, but they and the dealer could be in trouble if something should go wrong and it came out that your car had not been into the official dealers for warranty repairs!

Maybe someone will take it on, it would have to be viable though. Audi for example do not see the island as a viable area for representation so do not list us as an open point.

They do have Hyundai trained staff. We did buy the car off them though, so perhaps that's the reason.

Archived