Just noticed my internet speed test is now showing 1MB down instead of the usual 35+

Noticed that my Elite Dangerous patch was running at 0.05MB/s and my friend downloaded his almost instantly

Raised a ticket with WiManx, but putting money on MT being the issue

Router still synced at full speed though

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rang Manx Telecom and can you guess their reply.....

No internet issues reported tonight. Although that is their famously stock reply regardless of current issues

However, prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, but not had a reply from WiManx confirming / denying if there is an issue

I'm guessing if the issue is theirs they will have engineers working through the night to fix?

Wonder if the VDSL Plus upgrades are a coincidence?

update.........80 down and 10 up.

Thank You Wi-Manx ..........and MT I suppose..

So you are synced at 81/11 and getting the full 80/10? What was your estimation on the line checker, I sync at over 80 but that estimates 35 to 60 for me.

Line checker gives this

Broadband Downstream 14Mb/s - 16Mb/s

Ultima Broadband Downstream 39Mb/s - 40Mb/s

Ultima Broadband Upstream 2Mb/s

Ultima Plus Broadband Downstream 50Mb/s - 80Mb/s

Ultima Plus Broadband Upstream 10Mb/s

I was certain I'd get the full whack as with ADSL2+ I got 16Mbit, and my VDSL was at 40Mbit.

My nearest DSLAM is only 200 yards up the road from me biggrin.png

You've done well there mate if you get close to 80

I currently sync at 62MB, but wonder if this is a limitation of my Draytek 2860 as i know some people seem to have issues with them. I , like you, live only a couple hundred yards from a DSLAM

I was expecting close to 80MB when done, so would be a tad disappointed with 62, but happy if i get a full 10MB upload

I was certain I'd get the full whack as with ADSL2+ I got 16Mbit

Our ADSL2+ syncs at appx 16000 kbps. And everything we are responsible for at this end is very carefully optimised for quality.

During the day Speedtest (I know it is not a perfect test) typically gives us 12 - 14 Mbps down. Which is perfectly adequate for anything we want to do. But lately, in the evenings, it can be as low as 2 - 4 Mbps (wired). And it is much more variable. And we have started getting buffering on NOWTV and iPlayer. This is a new thing. It's been great here for years.

I wonder whether VDSL+ will be great until more people adopt it.

I've upgraded to Ultima Plus, gone up massively, from 33 Meg to 34 Meg, more the upload speed thats gone from 2 to 4.7 which is a lot better.

Contention, contention, contention. We always sync at just about the maximum and day time speeds are consistently 40Mbps (still awaiting Velocity Plus Upgrade), from about 5pm onwards it starts to drop off until it's peaking at around 1-2 Mbps by 9pm. It did always drop of a bit but only to around 30-35 previously. Spoke to Wi-Manx about it, first word out of the techs mouth was contention. This has only started this week with the role out of the 80 meg service.

Hopefully it's just a teething issue and will settle down but it could become interesting when all the upgrades are done if it's struggling at this stage. But if not then if you can hang on until 1-2am it's back up to full speed again.

Archived