These are guys who are only a couple of hundred yards from a DSLAM yet are now getting 45mb instead of the 40 on VDSL

The upload speed is ace of course, but it seems like the service was overhyped, and no one is going to get anything near 80mb.

I'm syncing at 88,6 Mbit/s down 11,0 Mbit/s up. Getting fairly shitty download speeds (~20 down), but pretty consistant 10 upload.

Quite hard to test in isolation though, need to unplug a lot of shit and disable wifi as I've that much on this thing now with phones/tablets/consoles/tv's.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah definitely nothing this end, i'm fairly certain of that. No changes made to my network, and tried a firmware upgrade on my Draytek 2860N to no avail

Agree with Ans that there is apparently some new new traffic prioritisation been put in place.

Spoke to WiManx, no issues reported on their end with the network but they do have support tickets open about the poor speed. I don't think the issue is with them though, and it probably frustrates them if Telecom are dicking about with new equipment and don't tell them about it (or they are not allowed to talk about it)

Could i ask if anyone is experiencing this issue, that they please contact their ISP and raise a support ticket. We need to let them know about it

cheers

Whilst you all bicker about having 80 megs here and there, wondering how well it'll work, I'll just post this one....

4115709875.png

But sadly, back on Mann, my VDSL speeds aren't great.

Though, I've been reading through the thread, and throttling traffic won't work, because it's too easy to throttle legitimate things.

Seedboxes are also cheap these days, my seedbox with Plex set up on it is cheaper than a comparable Netflix subscription, and can be used for pretty much anything. Admittedly, it's also because if I get a copyright complaint at Uni, the fine is sizable to say the least.

Also, on Wimanx, is it a free upgrade to VDSL2?

Whilst you all bicker about having 80 megs here and there, wondering how well it'll work, I'll just post this one....

4115709875.png

Seedboxes are also cheap these days, my seedbox with Plex set up on it is cheaper than a comparable Netflix subscription, and can be used for pretty much anything. Admittedly, it's also because if I get a copyright complaint at Uni, the fine is sizable to say the least.

Paging Lancaster University audit: this guy is using your network to steal copyrighted material he is too cheap to pay for but feels entitled to take.

4115709875.png

Paging Lancaster University audit: this guy is using your network to steal copyrighted material he is too cheap to pay for but feels entitled to take.

Copyright infringement isn't stealing.

Also, being a student and having not much disposable income and probably a student loan debt isn't the same as being cheap. :)

4115709875.png

Never did I mention using copyrighted materials. I just so happen to use my seedbox for web hosting and LInux ISOs. As well as Creative Commons media. smile.png

P.S Nor did I ever suggest that I used the University network to connect to my seedbox, which I don't.

Definite and substantial deterioration in my WiManx experience over the last few days. Download speeds are all over the place (as has already been noted, 'download' is no longer a nice way of saying piracy, I can't remember the last time I bought anything on a physical disc), streaming is generally OK but not fantastic, and most significantly for me (I can live with erratic download speeds), latency has gone through the roof.

This was particularly noticeable playing Battlefield 4 on Saturday night when my ping was pretty much the highest on the server, the split between my mates was clear, those on MT had low(ish) pings, those on WiManx had high pings (peaking up around 150ms, which is higher than I could get on a good dial-up connection back in the day).

Something's changed, and not for the better.

Recently went for the VDSL+ upgrade as well, because its better and no extra cost and all my games this generation have been digital so if I can get them downloaded quicker then bonus. Streaming Netflix was terrible over the weekend dropping in quality every few minutes, over ethernet so not a Wifi issue, normally its perfect.

I'm using the new user name they provided, however I've not had the confirmation my upgrade is complete and it's not been the full 10 working days yet. Will wait it out until the upgrade is complete and see what its like then.

What would be the stance on terminating the new contracts due to the substantial reduction in quality of service?

Also, on a side note, if I'm getting locked into a 24 month contract, why don't I get a new router like new accounts on a 24 month contract?

Just checked Steam, and getting 4.6MB/s

So, same speed as before upgrade, despite my router now being synced @ 63000 rather than 52000 (and throttled to 40000)

In theory should be 50% faster, so around 7MB/s

Maybe it will sort itself out....here is to hoping

I want to shake the hand of anyone connected at 80000 though and see their download speeds!

EDIT - router just disconnected and reconnected at 61,2000

This router never disconnects too...

I work away a bit at the moment and Ive been having constant buffer and dropped connections back to my home plex server in the evenings the last two weeks which is frustrating. Nothing wrong with the connection this side.

Hoping that the bump in upload speed will fix it but I can't believe all of these issues have suddenly manifested without changes.

Archived