modeltech - Douglas

x-in-man

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shop rents on the isle of man are crazy, just look on some of the estate agents web sites and you will see some stupid prices, double what they should be and nobody in them for long. that must say something

with the extortionate rents and rates etc you would have to be a ballamona patient to open a shop on the iom, onlines the way to go,including r/c car fuel etc.

The shop rents on the isle of man are crazy, just look on some of the estate agents web sites and you will see some stupid prices, double what they should be and nobody in them for long. that must say something

with the extortionate rents and rates etc you would have to be a ballamona patient to open a shop on the iom, onlines the way to go,including r/c car fuel etc.

It's very true for most businesses on the island. Not enough chimney pots here to make many retail businesses viable. Companies like B&Q, PC World, Tesco etc are in a race to the bottom and local companies can't compete for the few customers available.

It's very true for most businesses on the island. Not enough chimney pots here to make many retail businesses viable. Companies like B&Q, PC World, Tesco etc are in a race to the bottom and local companies can't compete for the few customers available.

Well Halfords obviously didn't see it as viable even though I thought they'd do well over here, I would've thought Halfords would've done better than Pets at Home but without looking at profit sheets who knows?

I wonder how Curry's manages to sell white goods here at the same price as across. I placed an order for a washing machine on Sunday and this was installed yesterday.

Wouldn't they have to pay the excess freight charges as well?

I tried to buy local but was told that it would take 2 weeks!!

I wonder how Curry's manages to sell white goods here at the same price as across. I placed an order for a washing machine on Sunday and this was installed yesterday.

It depends.

They may have a deal with the transport company that covers the whole country and Curry's have simply told them to suck it up if they want to keep the national business.

Or of course it could be that their own management is too stupid to pull the different parts of their profit and loss together and realise that they are losing money on everything they sell here. High pay in the boardroom does not necessarily translate into competency in the nuts and bolts of the business.

A third possibility is that they do know, but accepting a lower margin on sales here is cheaper than accommodating a different regime on their systems just for one shop. Over the years I have seen all three scenarios in action and have operated them myself - except for the second one!

The local shop cannot afford to ignore the transport costs otherwise he will go bust. The multiple can afford it to an extent, and if the judgement is wrong,what the hell? It's only shareholders' money.

It depends.

They may have a deal with the transport company that covers the whole country and Curry's have simply told them to suck it up if they want to keep the national business.

Or of course it could be that their own management is too stupid to pull the different parts of their profit and loss together and realise that they are losing money on everything they sell here. High pay in the boardroom does not necessarily translate into competency in the nuts and bolts of the business.

A third possibility is that they do know, but accepting a lower margin on sales here is cheaper than accommodating a different regime on their systems just for one shop. Over the years I have seen all three scenarios in action and have operated them myself - except for the second one!

The local shop cannot afford to ignore the transport costs otherwise he will go bust. The multiple can afford it to an extent, and if the judgement is wrong,what the hell? It's only shareholders' money.

I would say Curry's pay about £10 (or less) per washing machine, fridge , dishwasher or whatever, in transport costs.

Not a lot, so why would anyone think they are making a loss on everything?

Some of the "local" shops get close on price and even hold a bit of stock, ( nothing like Curry's though) but if you want something not too common, then you either wait or go online, simple.

It depends.

I would say Curry's pay about £10 (or less) per washing machine, fridge , dishwasher or whatever, in transport costs.

Not a lot, so why would anyone think they are making a loss on everything?

Some of the "local" shops get close on price and even hold a bit of stock, ( nothing like Curry's though) but if you want something not too common, then you either wait or go online, simple.

Local shops often have a better range than multiples - depends what you are buying. I don't think they are making a loss on everything, I was merely exploring the possibility to answer the previous poster's musings about how they manage to sell at the same price as in the UK. Meanwhile, don't overestimate the margin on a £200 appliance. It ain't great.

Archived