Opt out of TV Licence

Barrie Stevens

Apparently you can opt out of paying for a TV licence by writing to the TV Licensing Authority and declaring that you only watch "catch up" programmes on line.

According to a BBC Radio 4 programme "You and Yours" currently on air (Tuesday 19th Noon) if you declare that you only watch "on demand or catch up TV" then you do not have to buy a licence and if you have one already they have to give you a refund.

You can make your declaration on the TV Licensing web site. You have to cancel your licence and get a refund before you make the declaration.

I apologise if this information is already "old hat"!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been discussed at length before.

Thousands of people have been opting out, and watching tv on their computers/laptops etc... which is illegal unless you are only watching "catch up".

The licensing authority will be rooting out people who are taking the proverbial.

Frankly, I can't be arsed to opt out, while I want to watch news when it's still news, and much of my viewing is BBC, as and when it is broadcast.

The cost is hardly substantial, and probably less than the cost in time and effort trying to work out when you can watch the "catch up" programmes.

I can't be bothered as I get the concessionary rate of £7.50 a year.....

It is just that there is a political under current again about doing away with it (In the future) as the younger generations change their way of connecting with broadcast media...

This is why Radio 4 were raising the subject again at Noon today along with some political input...

Anyway, I have a crystal set that can still get "Workers' Playtime" and "Meet the Huggets".....And "Dick Barton"...

Not TV licensing again.

Quick, someone start ranting about cyclists, dog shit or their MHKs.

I like the BBC and I therefore don't mind paying the licence fee. I think. Actually, they are nearly all really shit programmes that I have no interest in, and I do find myself watching Netflix more often these days. But still just about happy to pay ....

Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

And I'm being very serious about this.

I do wonder how long it will be before there will be an Internet license introduced. It could provide a useful source of cash especially for the Island where Internet usage can be easily established.

Apparently you can opt out of paying for a TV licence by writing to the TV Licensing Authority and declaring that you only watch "catch up" programmes on line.

According to a BBC Radio 4 programme "You and Yours" currently on air (Tuesday 19th Noon) if you declare that you only watch "on demand or catch up TV" then you do not have to buy a licence and if you have one already they have to give you a refund.

You can make your declaration on the TV Licensing web site. You have to cancel your licence and get a refund before you make the declaration.

I apologise if this information is already "old hat"!

>...by writing to the TV Licensing Authority and declaring that you only watch "catch up" programmes on line.

At which point you have given your personal details to Capita; then they send letters addressed to you every 6 weeks threatening Court action.

Best ignore Capita just as you'd ignore the shotgun/fishing/dog licence authorities if you had no need of their services.

No contact = no contract.

TBT.

Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

And I'm being very serious about this.

I do wonder how long it will be before there will be an Internet license introduced. It could provide a useful source of cash especially for the Island where Internet usage can be easily established.

>Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

No, and I'm being very serious about this.

Prior to download tv (iPlayer went live in December 2007 and I've not had tv since the late 80's), the BBC's monopoly determined that those without a tv licence, couldn't legally watch any tv stations at all.

So anyone contributing to ITV/Channel4 etc. via purchasing the advertised products/services couldn't legally watch tv without paying the BBC the full licence fee. And even now, you still can't legally watch these channels live.

So no, I feel there is no moral duty to pay the BBC whatsoever.

Regarding the TV Licence Enforcer harrassment (via Capita), it does the BBC no favours regarding moral duty.

What's good for the goose...

There are those that insist watching the BBC via download without a licence is freeloading, but the BBC monopoly can be altered via subscription. The BBC haven't progressed via this route, so in effect it's the BBC that are letting their licence holders down, not the 'freeloaders'.

Could I suggest that you approach the BBC with your concerns and ask them to close the non-live loophole.

If the BBC were to employ subscriptions in lieu of the current licence; I'd expect some of the 'freeloaders' would appreciate the opportunity to watch the other channels live.

TBT.

Archived