T E Brown - God is love.

thebees

He must have escaped to Balla after a year of my lot at St Ninians

I liked him, and I think he tolerated me with great patience. I endeavoured to be the class clown.

Now that Dave Ingham....sweat.gif

Was he called "Slipper" ?

Not that I remember but I called him a few things. An out and out bastard was one. I had 3 brothers who went before me and they didn't get on with a lot of the teachers either so when it came to my turn there was old ground to be gone over with some of them. On my first day, at Balla, going into maths, 'Popper' Cannell stood at the door and looked everyone over as they entered the classroom. As I entered he took one look at me and said, ''Oh no! Not another R*******...?'' Me, a spickety little weed barely four foot and a spit in shorts, just out of comfortable catholic primary school, timidly replied, ''Yes Sir''. At which, he took me by the scruff of my miserable scrawny neck and said, ''You, sit there, where I can keep my beady eye on you!'' and plonked me down right in front of his desk. For two years, because of his previous experience with my brother's he made my life hell! It didn't exactly inspire me and consequently was bottom of the form, in maths, every exam....ermm.gif

Yes, I sat in that front desk too - there were two, I had the one on the left next to the window

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He must have escaped to Balla after a year of my lot at St Ninians

I liked him, and I think he tolerated me with great patience. I endeavoured to be the class clown.

Now that Dave Ingham....:sweat:

Was he called "Slipper" ?

Not that I remember but I called him a few things. An out and out bastard was one. I had 3 brothers who went before me and they didn't get on with a lot of the teachers either so when it came to my turn there was old ground to be gone over with some of them. On my first day, at Balla, going into maths, 'Popper' Cannell stood at the door and looked everyone over as they entered the classroom. As I entered he took one look at me and said, ''Oh no! Not another R*******...?'' Me, a spickety little weed barely four foot and a spit in shorts, just out of comfortable catholic primary school, timidly replied, ''Yes Sir''. At which, he took me by the scruff of my miserable scrawny neck and said, ''You, sit there, where I can keep my beady eye on you!'' and plonked me down right in front of his desk. For two years, because of his previous experience with my brother's he made my life hell! It didn't exactly inspire me and consequently was bottom of the form, in maths, every exam....:ermm:

Yes, I sat in that front desk too - there were two, I had the one on the left next to the window

Exactly that desk, right-hand seat. So close to him you could smell the smoke from a hastily-grabbed ciggie between lessons, in the staff-room. Him and 'Creepy' Crellin. Fuckin-a...

There must be a thread somewhere on school nostalgia....

Archived