T E Brown - God is love.

thebees

Not original.

"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him” 1 John 4:16

That is horse shit puked out by the church, this God is the god within you, not a controller.

Where does 1 John 4:16 mention anything about control?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, I've always found T.E. Brown the literal equivalent of drying paint. I remember saying this when I first encountered his work at Balla and got a slap for it from Ernie Entwistle!

You're quite right, Quilp. T.E. Brown was a complete tosspot without any talent whatsoever.

I'm onto my second bottle of wine and can still safely say TE Brown was a shit poet.

God IS love, but that is a quote from the Bible, written over a thousand years - nearly two thousand - before Mr unoriginal TE Brown came on the scene with his lame poems. A typical privileged middle class twerp writing bollocks in his nice little middle class bubble while the salt of the earth were down in the mines or on the ships or out on the farms doing hard labour for a living.

Anyway, I've always found T.E. Brown the literal equivalent of drying paint. I remember saying this when I first encountered his work at Balla and got a slap for it from Ernie Entwistle!

You're quite right, Quilp. T.E. Brown was a complete tosspot without any talent whatsoever.

What about Esther Nelson? -

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/manxsoc/msvol16/p213.htm

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/im1839/index.htm

Or William Kennish? -

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/mi1844/index.htm

Outrageous, his Manxlish poetic rhymes preserve some of our most culturally iconic ghosts

Hahahhaa no! Apparently I am a total light weight drinker, my friend claims he can drink 2 bottles of wine too, I can manage 1 but it tends to kill me (not been too well today and I had shed loads to do - bah!).

We're going to have to agree to disagree on T E Brown, I really like him, I'm not sure what I was on about last night but it was epic at the time!

What sort of Manx education did you have if you didn't encounter the Great Manx Bard until Ernie introduced it to you (don't remember him at Balla by the way)?

What sort of Manx education did you have if you didn't encounter the Great Manx Bard until Ernie introduced it to you (don't remember him at Balla by the way)?

The back-head slap and spittle in the eye from Ernie was dished out in 71/72 when I was in 1A with Sssssshimmin, of all people. And a couple of other of today's troughers well-respected high-flyers.

He must have escaped to Balla after a year of my lot at St Ninians

I liked him, and I think he tolerated me with great patience. I endeavoured to be the class clown.

Now that Dave Ingham....sweat.gif

Was he called "Slipper" ?

He must have escaped to Balla after a year of my lot at St Ninians

I liked him, and I think he tolerated me with great patience. I endeavoured to be the class clown.

Now that Dave Ingham....sweat.gif

Was he called "Slipper" ?

Not that I remember but I called him a few things. An out and out bastard was one. I had 3 brothers who went before me and they didn't get on with a lot of the teachers either so when it came to my turn there was old ground to be gone over with some of them. On my first day, at Balla, going into maths, 'Popper' Cannell stood at the door and looked everyone over as they entered the classroom. As I entered he took one look at me and said, ''Oh no! Not another R*******...?'' Me, a spickety little weed barely four foot and a spit in shorts, just out of comfortable catholic primary school, timidly replied, ''Yes Sir''. At which, he took me by the scruff of my miserable scrawny neck and said, ''You, sit there, where I can keep my beady eye on you!'' and plonked me down right in front of his desk. For two years, because of his previous experience with my brother's he made my life hell! It didn't exactly inspire me and consequently was bottom of the form, in maths, every exam....ermm.gif

Archived