Carrier Bag Tax Hits Snag

P.K.

I hope the mainland chains that are implementing the tax here are going to remit it here rather than sending it to England but I'm not holding my breath. IoM Government should be telling them it either stays on the Island or you don't charge it.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I just say that when the bag charge was introduced in Scotland, it was a bit annoying at first, but we soon got into the habit of taking a bag with us when we went shopping. And the tougher hemp bags that Tesco sold were actually really good for carrying heavy stuff like bottles without the risk of bursting and spewing your shopping all over the pavement.

The 5p charge does not go to the government. It's not a tax. The retailers are required to charge it, and then encouraged to put the money towards good causes.

Many shops like Poundland and ASDA also upgraded the quality of the bags so you got a more rugged reusable bag for your 5p.

So it was annoying at first, but in the long term you get used to it and it makes sense.

• 2 months later...

I hope the mainland chains that are implementing the tax here are going to remit it here rather than sending it to England but I'm not holding my breath. IoM Government should be telling them it either stays on the Island or you don't charge it.

MAINLAND chains? Do you live on the Calf, then?

Archived