Minister decides

angelo

It's a pet hate of mine. I felt like following a couple of them home, waiting till they'd gotten settled or in the bath, then ringing the bell and saying, ''Good Evening, I'm a fundamental Atheist and I wonder if I might blatantly disregard your privacy for a few minutes in order for me to further my own personal goals?''.

(Actually, it's not a bad idea,,,)

https://youtu.be/U58wgn-9Y3c?t=2m49s

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing bad things about Operation Christmas Child for ten years plus, I didn't know any schools even did it any more. Never heard anything from my kids' school about it, and wouldn't do it if I had.

Just get your own back.

In the last shoebox we did I got my kids to put in a copy of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, a packet of Tarot Cards, and a DVD of Monty Pythons The Life of Brian. I pity how fucked up some poor Somalian kid would be who got to tie all that up with a book of biblical quotes and cheery letter from a group affiliated to the Billy Graham Organisation.

Joking aside this is wrong but Gawne has bigger things to worry about.

If he's really that angry about it why doesn't he go and burn Billy Graham's house down?

I've been hearing bad things about Operation Christmas Child for ten years plus, I didn't know any schools even did it any more. Never heard anything from my kids' school about it, and wouldn't do it if I had.

Just get your own back.

In the last shoebox we did I got my kids to put in a copy of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, a packet of Tarot Cards, and a DVD of Monty Pythons The Life of Brian. I pity how fucked up some poor Somalian kid would be who got to tie all that up with a book of biblical quotes and cheery letter from a group affiliated to the Billy Graham Organisation.

Joking aside this is wrong but Gawne has bigger things to worry about.

If he's really that angry about it why doesn't he go and burn Billy Graham's house down?

That was really good until you said you were joking.

• 11 months later...

In March this year, the Govrrnment issued the following statement:

"The Department of Infrastructure has confirmed that it will run the Shoebox Appeal Train again this year in support of Operation Christmas Child.

Minister Phil Gawne MHK said he had made the decision after receiving assurances about the motives of Samaritan’s Purse, the charity behind the annual collection of gifts for disadvantaged children around the world.

Public concern had been raised that young recipients of the shoeboxes were being evangelised. The Department also received complaints about the homophobic and anti-Islamic views expressed by Franklin Graham, President and Chief Executive Officer of Samaritan’s Purse.

Following discussions with officials at the charity, it has been agreed that the festive steam train will continue to carry the shoeboxes full of toys, stationery and toiletries donated by local people.

Minister Gawne said:

‘The Department has a strong track record of assisting charitable organisations and has played a part in raising funds for many worthy causes. However, it is important to look into any concerns highlighted by the public to ensure the charities we support do not offend the principles and aspirations of the Isle of Man and its people.’

‘I have been reassured that the offensive comments made by the international president of Samaritan’s Purse do not reflect the views and purposes of the charity. I also have no further concerns about Operational Christmas Child and evangelism and I applaud the fantastic work that is taking place to help children living in poverty.’

The Minister added that a policy had been introduced to prevent any unreasonable offence being caused to sections of the community through the Department’s support for a particular charity.

The decision to continue the steam train in support of the shoebox appeal has been welcomed by Brian Bennett, Head of Development at Samaritan’s Purse International.

Mr Bennett said:

‘I am delighted that Minister Gawne has taken the time to contact us and gain a deeper understanding of our mission and objectives. Samaritan’s Purse is a non-profit, Christian organisation providing emergency relief and development assistance to suffering people around the world. The aid and assistance are given without regard to the race, creed, gender, religion or ethnicity of the beneficiaries. We are serving these people without any strings attached.’

He added:

‘Samaritan’s Purse, as an organisation, is not anti-Islamic or homophobic and has no anti-gay agenda. While Franklin Graham has come under attack for his personal views, he does not speak for Samaritan’s Purse.’"

The following article was recently released by CBC News:

"A woman's 17-year-long dedication to filling Christmas shoe boxes for underprivileged kids has ended in disappointment in Burgeo, N.L., after she was denied a volunteer position because of her personal beliefs.

'I thought it was all about the children and the generosity and kindness … It isn't really.'

- Kay Cossar

Since 1998, Kay Cossar has been a co-ordinator for Operation Christmas Child, a project of Samaritan's Purse, a non-denominational evangelical organization. Cossar estimates she has helped package nearly 4,500 shoe boxes over that time for children in need.

Recently, Samaritan's Purse asked her to sign a revised statement of faith, which included a new section asking volunteers to confirm that they do not believe in same-sex marriage or a woman's right to have a legal abortion.

"I couldn't sign that, I didn't sign that and I returned it to explain to them that these were not my beliefs," she told the St. John's Morning Show.

"I do believe that same-sex people should be able to marry and I do believe that a woman has the right to make a choice regarding abortion."

'Not on the same page'

Cossar said she sent the letter back to Samaritan's Purse in late January, and last week got a call saying she couldn't be a co-ordinator anymore because of her refusal to sign the statement.

"They told me that I couldn't be in a leadership role with Samaritan's Purse unless I was on the same page as the rest of the group," she said.

"It took me a few minutes to think — and how do you respond to it really? When you're being told that you can't participate because of your beliefs?"

Operation Christmas Child

A shoe box for Samaritan's Purse's Operation Christmas Child campaign, which asks people to fill boxes for needy children. (CBC)

Cossar said the caller from Samaritan's Purse told her she was "unsuitable" for such a position — something that has changed how she sees the group.

"It's made me open my eyes a little bit. I don't want to discourage people from supporting the group, but I do want everybody to know what my experience was. People can then make up their own minds if they want to contribute or withdraw support," she said.

"I thought it was all about the children and the generosity and kindness and then it made me stop and realize that it it isn't really. It's about adults and their antiquated points of view."

Group responds

CBC asked Samaritan's Purse for a response to the incident, and the group replied by saying it has specific beliefs that it wants volunteers to hold if they are to represent the group.

Samaritan's Purse depends on volunteers to run its annual Christmas shoebox campaign. (CBC)

"We included these specifics in our statement of faith NOT because our views on these issues have changed, but simply because the world's views has changed to the point where we felt the need to remind our volunteers that our organization accepts the Bible as the inspired and infallible word of God," the statement read.

"The Bible does not condone sex outside marriage, it defines marriage as being between one man and one woman, and it upholds the sanctity of life."

The statement goes on to say that the group does not require people donating to the shoe box campaign to sign a statement of faith, but that it would be unfair to have year-round volunteers who do not share the Samaritan's Purse values."

Perhaps the Government should reconsider its support for this organisation?

It won't. Generally, people see only the charity and after all, it's christmas. No one is interested in the detail, only the mental image of an otherwise deprived child, wide-eyed and smiling and the comfort in feeling you've done your bit.

Archived