Minister decides

angelo

Some Atheist's might see this as another example of subtle, doctrinational re-inforcement and christian symbolism/evangelicanism.

The giving of presents to otherwise deprived kids is a great thing; no-one could knock it (except manunitedforever, perhaps), but keeping the recipients christian hints at inequality.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether it's true or not, who could object to Christians giving other Christians gifts at Christmas? The only people liable to complain about such a thing would not be those of other religions but PC liberal morons.

The story on the front page of the Examiner says that they send Christmas boxes to kids (not Christian kids, although I accept Muslims probably won't be queuing up for a gift from Somalian Santa) and in those boxes, in amongst the gifts, are story books called "The Greatest Gift" which quote various stories form the Bible. So the gift comes with some god bothery message telling some poor heathen kid to be thankful to God for his gift of a shoebox of Dealz toiletries.

Given all the important things Gawne has kept his gob shut on over the years it's hard to see why this is front page news. Although it does bump the Toilet Tax increases to Page 11.

Some Atheist's might see this as another example of subtle, doctrinational re-inforcement and christian symbolism/evangelicanism.

The giving of presents to otherwise deprived kids is a great thing; no-one could knock it (except manunitedforever, perhaps), but keeping the recipients christian hints at inequality.

Samaritans Purse (the organisation behind the Xmas Shoe Box appeal) is part of the Billy Graham Evangelical Trust and the trustees of both charities are the same. Just a very clever way of spreading their beliefs! However I don't think it's appropriate for our schools to co-operate in supporting them in their mission!

So the same guy that said a cross was inappropriate for the Ramsey memorial has now unilaterally decided that IOM children can't send Christmas gifts to Christian children elsewhere because someone with connections complained. What kind of society is ruled by such persons ?

Young children are not Christian unless they have read the bible and decided for themselves that they want to follow the doctrine of Christianity. These shoe boxes are designed to evangelise Christianity although nobody doubts the delight that children show when they receive gifts.

Are the schools, kids and/or their parents being forced to do this?

In a very real sense yes, there is peer pressure whipped up by the schools. As others have said this has been 'a thing' for many years and when my kids were at school we flatly refused to let them participate because it simple 'felt wrong' to us ... having now learned the roots of this organisation I'm sure we made the right choice and I applaud Mr Gawne for brining this to an end at last.

So Gawne wants to protect impressionable youngsters from being indoctrinated into the Christian faith? I guess he'll also be banning schools from hosting nativity plays and attending carol concerts as well then.

Or perhaps that is the 'right' kind of Christianity?

I'm glad there are no serious issues for our government ministers to concern themselves with, like failing healthcare, under-resourced law enforcement, diminishing government income, huge public pension liabilities, massive government overspends, rapidly dwindling reserves and so on, and we can focus on the really important matters.

I expect to see additional coverage of Mr Gawne's refusal of any support being given by schools or government institutions to any charity with a religious affiliation, including the Salvation Army, CAFOD etc.

Is it really that important to dig into the whole political and religious roots of this whole endevour? Surely it's enough that some underpriveliged kids ger to realize that not everyone in western society is a greedy war mongering racist, and our kids get an insight into sharing with the less fortunate. I wonder if Gawne thought to ask any previous recipients of these gifts if they were offended, or if they brought a bit of light into a pretty miserable existence. Probably not as I'm sure his kids will be just fine this christmas. What maybe neeeds to happen is for a method to be found where gifts could be donated anonymously so eliminating any peer pressure and parents could decide individually on whether or not to participate. I certainly don't believe it's a decision for a goverment fat cat like Gawne to issue his supreme decree over, imho of course.

I hope, when Gawne and his cohorts have finished fucking the island into economic desperation, there are charities willing to send us aid parcels to clothe and feed us, and our children, regardless of their motivation. I imagine I'll be more than happy to listen to the teachings of Islam in exchange for food and warmth.

These people have their heads so far up their arses it is no wonder they cannot see what is going on around them.

When he goes door-knocking ahead of the general election, everyone should say 'no thanks, I'm Christian' and slam the door, in a reverse Jehovah's Witness way.

If you read the Examiner article closely you will see that Gawne's position is:

As this year was already committed the train will collect the boxes. In future years this will not happen unless there are changes in the charity.’

So what he appears to be saying is that he will use ministerial power to stop the boxes commencing their journey on the steam train. Assuming, of course, that he actually is a minister this time next year!

What a pathetic attitude.

Archived