Donald Trump

cropduster

@ Pongo: Mexican construction companies and suppliers will probably get the contracts to build the wall.

I very much doubt that. Unless you were kidding?

Mexican Cement Maker Poised to Profit From Trumps Wall - Bloomberg

Company best positioned to benefit from a Trump Wall is Mexican - MarketWatch

Mexicos Cemex hits 8.5-year high on Trump Wall trade - FT

What I find incredible is that no one has challenged this rubbish about getting the Mexicans to pay via an import tariff.

You've got a Mexican saying he'll sell his avocados/textiles/trucks to an American for $1/$10/$10,000 - the American agrees, but suddenly Donald Trump appears and demands the American actually pays $1.35/$13.50/$13,500 and then pockets the difference to build his wall.

The idea that it is the Mexicans who will be paying for the wall as a result of this is economic illiteracy of the first order. It is utterly incredible he isn't being challenged on this.

• Like 1

But if it makes home produced goods more competitive in the biggest economy in the world that will ameliorate the problem. Don't underestimate the power he has at his disposal. It strikes me that people have underestimated him all the way to the White House, and they're still doing it.

What I find incredible is that no one has challenged this rubbish about getting the Mexicans to pay via an import tariff.

You've got a Mexican saying he'll sell his avocados/textiles/trucks to an American for $1/$10/$10,000 - the American agrees, but suddenly Donald Trump appears and demands the American actually pays $1.35/$13.50/$13,500 and then pockets the difference to build his wall.

The idea that it is the Mexicans who will be paying for the wall as a result of this is economic illiteracy of the first order. It is utterly incredible he isn't being challenged on this.

He is being challenged.

His supports just don't care for facts...all they hear is "Gonna build a wall" and "Make America Great Again!!!"

• Like 1

But if it makes home produced goods more competitive in the biggest economy in the world that will ameliorate the problem. Don't underestimate the power he has at his disposal. It strikes me that people have underestimated him all the way to the White House, and they're still doing it.

Woolley, if you think allowing American businesses to get the government to demand people pay an extra 35% on products to stop foreign goods being competitive is a way to make home produced goods "more competitive" you haven't learnt a lot about the 1970s.

• Like 1

Woolley, if you think allowing American businesses to get the government to demand people pay an extra 35% on products to stop foreign goods being competitive is a way to make home produced goods "more competitive" you haven't learnt a lot about the 1970s.

I know a lot about the 70s, China. I was in the thick of it. And the 80s and the 90s and the 00s and the devastation they have wrought on many people. I doubt it will be 35% in any case. You already know that I have a very jaundiced view of right wing globalisation advocacy.

if you think allowing American businesses to get the government to demand people pay an extra 35% on products to stop foreign goods being competitive is a way to make home produced goods "more competitive" you haven't learnt a lot about the 1970s.

you clearly have no idea how it works- usa will pay the same price- mexico will have to drop prices to compensate