Public sector pensions to undergo dramatic overhaul

ManxTaxPayer

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, the taxpayer gets to pay a 20% contribution for them.

Yes the deficit of £44m a year is currently falling on the taxpayer and apparently that is wrong, so the solution is to up the employers contribution (ie. the taxpayers contribution) up to 20% to reduce the current burden on the taxpayer by making the taxpayer put more into the scheme. Utter bullshit.

All Civil Servants are tax payers if they earn enough

The working population of the IOM is about 35,000 people. Only 8,500 of those people work in government so by far the majority of taxpayers who are contributing are not civil servants at all.

I suspect that after the interim census next month we will see see that the population as a whole will be down to about 76K, which of course will reduce the number of economically active and in employment drop significantly.

The working population of the IOM is about 35,000 people. Only 8,500 of those people work in government so by far the majority of taxpayers who are contributing are not civil servants at all.

I suspect that after the interim census next month we will see see that the population as a whole will be down to about 76K, which of course will reduce the number of economically active and in employment drop significantly.

Fiver says you're wrong.

That seems very low, the 35,000 I mean. Out of an 85,000 population, how does that demographic compare to other places?

That seems very low, the 35,000 I mean. Out of an 85,000 population, how does that demographic compare to other places?

I don't know how it compares to be honest but I was told that number a while ago. It sort of makes sense as they always say that IOMG workers make up between 20-25% of the working population so 35-40,000 is probably about right. There are, of course, other taxpayers who are retired and paying tax on pensions etc. I think it is low. I don't know what the "normal" balance should be.

I just think this "We're taxpayers too" argument doesn't really wash when 70-80% of workers paying tax which goes into their pensions don't work for IOMG.

Fiver says you're wrong.

That's the safest fiver you'll ever see.

Archived