Ramsey Pier Community Trust

Katman

The boardwalk of the pier is planked with cedar. Very expensive, imported cedar IIRC.

At the last meeting I went to the intention was to use larch supplied as described above. This apparently hardens on exposure to salt water.

Love it - hope it gets restored.

That crowd funding for me is desperately short notice though for someone who hasn't been following it.

Hope there's an option to donate in a few weeks when I actually have some spare money

Yes, there will be, although I am not sure of the exact mechanism. Keep watching the FB page.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it - hope it gets restored.

That crowd funding for me is desperately short notice though for someone who hasn't been following it.

Hope there's an option to donate in a few weeks when I actually have some spare money

The way the crowd funding works is the money gets released at the end of the pledge period so it will be short bursts - then a new one will be set up on a rolling basis

(I believe - in theory)

I am beginning to detect a lot more negativity on MF recently even towards people who are actually trying to make things better. It has to stop, chaps.

I know.... it's soul destroying isn't it?

Agreed. There are some bitter and sad twats on here.

How the fuck can anyone be negative to the Queens Pier project? It's a truly wonderful piece of the Isle of Man's heritage and it's already criminal that we, as an island, have allowed it to get to where it has done.

This project is being driven by volunteers. And it needs the support of as many people as possible.

I would expect if they're getting timber FOC it will the larch that is being felled to prevent the spread of phytophthora

Which is perfectly safe to use.

And sounds like a great idea.

I assume the biggest cost here and the biggest challenge will be the iron work under the walkway. I don't see the walkway and associated railings as being that big a challenge.

I was talking to Tom about it recently and he seemed hopeful that a lot of the wood on the pier is still useable it's the iron that needs looking at.

Just Giving Link for donations:

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/richard-crowhurst

Four days of funding to go and £39,000.00 out of £40,000.00 still needed.

You could look at it that way or you could see that they've raised £1000 already.

Or you could have read this post

You would just rather revel in misery

Just Giving Link for donations:https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/richard-crowhurst

Four days of funding to go and £39,000.00 out of £40,000.00 still needed.

You could look at it that way or you could see that they've raised £1000 already.

Or you could have read this post

You would just rather revel in misery

I actually think crowd funding is the best proper test of public sentiment when it comes to funding projects. The DED should use crowd funding campaigns more. If people think it's a shit idea you will raise nothing, and if people think it's a good idea you will reach your funding goal as people have fully bought in. I accept Tweeks views are negative but it sort of suggests that nobody gives a toss about an iron pier in Ramsey if it can't raise more than £1,000 crowd funding.

Archived