Save the best for last...

Ham_N_Eggs

Busy old time in Tynwald this month! Steam Packet (buying a pier in Liverpool apparently), Lord Lisvane report, horse trams, a new peel silt report and there is a report on new mhks not being subject to a reduction in pay as there pay is not really linked to civil servants apparently. There maybe more buried away that I've not spotted after a quick skeet. http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2016-PP-0126.pdf

I wonder which democratically rejected politician they'll wheel out this time?

Clare Christian became an MHK at her first attempt for the Ayre constituency in March 1980 but failed to be reelected in 1986. She was, however, appointed an MLC in 1993 and was made Health Minister in 1996 overseeing the construction of the new Nobles Hospital. In 2011, she was elected to the role of President of Tynwald.

It'll be Rodant. Hands down. All the experience, etc, senior member of the comfy chairs club, all that counts in that exclusive, closed world.

God help us, where's Lisvane?

Put off till next year which of course puts one of the main recommendations (i.e voting for chief minister then for the chairman of the scrutiny committees) off for another 5 years.

Why do feel that is so bad then ?

Yup, as I was told this marvellous tender process which saw interest in a number of operators for sea services is to be given to the Steam Packet who have submitted an advance document, whilst no one else has.

Driven I am told by Gawne and Reynolds. I hope some brighter members have the wit to ask some searching questions.

It'll be Rodant. Hands down. All the experience, etc, senior member of the comfy chairs club, all that counts in that exclusive, closed world.

Just what is the point of moving him from one presiding officer role to another?

Rodan has been rotten as Speaker, he seemed competent before but this has been a role too far for him. Remember -

• He was responsible for the Clerk of Tynwald's office, and therefore the toxic atmosphere into which Houghton blundered.
  • The handling of the complaint against Houghton was so ham-fisted, that the clearly culpable North Douglas MHK has somehow been able to claim the moral high ground.
  • with him as President, a solution to the Houghton situation is virtually impossible. Disenfranchising the North Douglas electors (should he win another term).
  • He's introduced time limits.
  • Allowed ministers to dodge questions on spurious grounds.
  • Unfairly censured non-establishment figures.
  • Presided over a confrontational environment, especially towards female colleagues.

Rodan has been rotten as Speaker, he seemed competent before but this has been a role too far for him. Remember -

• He was responsible for the Clerk of Tynwald's office, and therefore the toxic atmosphere into which Houghton blundered.
  • The handling of the complaint against Houghton was so ham-fisted, that the clearly culpable North Douglas MHK has somehow been able to claim the moral high ground.
  • with him as President, a solution to the Houghton situation is virtually impossible. Disenfranchising the North Douglas electors (should he win another term).
  • He's introduced time limits.
  • Allowed ministers to dodge questions on spurious grounds.
  • Unfairly censured non-establishment figures.
  • Presided over a confrontational environment, especially towards female colleagues.
Excellent post Declan. Rodan is a disaster. If Tynwald elect him President they strip away any last vestige of credibility they have...and my god there's precious little of that left.

Presiding officer role of President should be scrapped & the title awarded to the longest serving member of Tynwald Court

I'd change that to "the longest serving non-COMIN member of Tynwald Court"

Archived